looking for some good food options in San Diego …

Viewing 11 reply threads

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

I’ve been to San Diego a couple of times, but I’ve struck out on good eats.  I tried Old Town years ago, and that was okay.  Tried the Gaslight area next to Pet Co once, that seemed like an overpriced touristy area. 

Anyone have any solid recommendations?

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

SD must have some really good German restaurants since it was discovered by the Germans in 1904.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

The Gaslamp has some great restaurants! Don’t let your bias stop you from going there. Wander around and you’ll find something, even if it’s Spaghetti Factory. LOL.

Utahute72
        Ute Fan
        @utahute72

We love the gaslamp area.  Little Italy has some good stuff also.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

If you take the light rail to the San Ysidro station and walk a few blocks south, you can find some really authentic Mexican food.  

Just don’t forget to bring your passport.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Pre-medicating with Pepto Bismal will make the ride back more comfortable!

SUUte
      Ute Fan
      @garrstew

Phil’s BBQ is a must. 

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

Up until 3 months ago, I lived right up the street from Phil’s in Rancho Bernardo. It’s fine for San Diego, but comparatively speaking, it leaves me wanting a lot after having Texas, KC, STL, and overall southern BBQ

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

7-11 has some killer hot dogs. Especially if you load them with lots of extra crap.

I kid. I kid.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Speaking of loading up with extra crap, In-N-Out Animal style.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Visit Old Town, but don’t waste your time getting fiid there.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

The Old Town Mexican Cafe used to be pretty good.

Summit Ute
      Ute Fan
      @summitute

I can never get enought of Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers so I always hit the one in Santee when I’m down there.

I LOVE Puesto for mexican food in La Jolla and downton.  Also Taco Tuesday is a steal there.

Extrodinary Desserts is another insanely good spot for dessert but bring your $$$.

Rocky’s Crown Pub for a burger is a place I’m planning on hitting on this trip.

Kono’s Cafe for breakfast on mission beach.  One breakfast is enough for 2.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

SD local here (well up until 3 months ago, we just left), but here’s what you need. Really any local hole in the wall Mexican place, just the places where you get it pretty quick, not the full restaurant styles. If you want specific, in Rancho Bernardo off of I-15 is a place called Cotijas and their special Cotija burrito is absolutely amazing. They pack it with a green chili, asada, cheese and more cheese and a few other things. It’s fantastic.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

best Mexican food I’ve had in the states was in a random hole in the wall in the SD area. It was right next to an albertson’s or something of the sort. The restaurant didn’t even have a name that I could see. It just said, “Mexican food” on the window. There was maybe 3 small tables in the restaurant. There was a clearly high on drugs homeless lady outside the restaurant bothering those who chose to sit outside and eat. She was screaming at them one moment, then dancing around like the sugar plum fairy the next.

but yeah, that food was amazing.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

The places where the silverware doesn’t match and you prob need to speak spanish to order have absolutely the best food ever.

SorryWife
      Ute Fan
      @sorrywife

If you travel north a bit into del mar/encinitas area there are some pretty good resturaunts that are right on the beach.

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

If you want to eat on the coast with a view check out Pacifica Del Mar. https://www.pacificadelmar.com/

Late night cheap Mexican food I recommend Roberto’s taco shops.

pics
      Ute Fan
      @pics

Haven’t been there in quite a while but Point Loma Seafood used to be very good.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football looking for some good food options in San Diego …