Nate Johnson

Viewing 12 reply threads

MineralUte
      Ute Fan
      @mineralute

With the Rising announcement I am now worried about Nate Johnson leaving. Hope he stays but wouldn’t blame him if he enters the portal.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Me too. But my guess is that if he says, he will play some games. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

It is what it is in today’s college football. We’ve lost 4 star QB’s to the portal, and we will get 4 star QB’s from the portal. If Johnson leaves, someone will transfer in. 

The first wave of transfers has come through, after spring ball will be wave two. 

Gilly Boy 94
      Ute Fan
      @scottgilberg

He’ll be a redshirt freshman this year, correct?  really think he takes off that quickly?

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

If he’s smart he stays, busts his butt, continues to learn under Cam and Lud, secures QB2, gets more PT and then takes over as QB1 in 2024 as a redshirt Sophomore. He’d be far better setup to succeed. Look at the Cam Rising model and see how it works (used to be the case before these 4 & 5* kids got this idea that somehow they DESERVED to start as true freshmen (or even redshirt freshmen).

Some of you may not like this comparison, but if you look at the LaVell Edwards BYU teams, this was the model. There was always an exceptional QB1, with a Padawan in reserves, learning the system, getting stronger, and developing their game before, taking over as a redshirt, sophomore, or junior, being highly effective, winning a lot of games, and making it to the NFL. 

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

What would cause a potential transfer is if BB’s designated QB2 going forward.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

If we lose Nate Johnson it better be because he’s QB2 and wanted to be QB1, but was blocked by Cam. It should not in any case be due to his being QB3 behind Barnes. That would be a serious mistake.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

If he can beat out Barnes and Rose in spring ball he’s a play away from starting. With Rising injury history it’s almost a guarantee he’ll get in there. We still don’t know the severity of Cam’s injury and if he’ll be ready for the Florida game. ACL tears are 9-12 months at a minimum. There are too many variables and what-ifs to walk away now. If he’s having fun and likes the team why leave? He has 4 years to play 4. Plenty of time to be QB1. If he knows he’s not redshirting in 2023 he’ll play every game regardless. He’s too much of a weapon to not be on the field. I think the coachs have proven that they will find a way to get athletes in the game. 

11 1

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

IMO Barnes shouldn’t be in the running.

Extra Medium
          Ute Fan
          @runningreddude

Couldn’t agree more. I like the kid. He’s a great and very servicable back up and 3rd string QB. 

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Yes he should. Why should he be excluded? If NJ is the future, he’ll beat Barnes out.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Could not agree more. Any player on that team who is not in the competition for the starting spot at their position needs to be replaced on the roster as soon as possible. Anyone who’s ceiling is 3rd or 4th string needs to be informed so that they can find a place where they have a better chance at playing should they so choose.

Not everyone can be the starter but they damn well better be in the running otherwise they are dead weight.

Yergensen
              Ute Fan
              @yergensen

Anyone out there that thinks Barnes’ ceiling is a P5 QB1? If not, then he is in the way.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

I have no more idea if Barnes can handle the job than you do. I do know that he is 1-0 as a starter against a pretty good defense with Glover as the main back and a banged up Kincaid.

Barnes also beat out the guy all the fan boards wanted to be QB2 this season so he must have something going for him. Barnes, Johnson and Rose should all get equal reps this spring so we should have a pretty good idea going into fall camp of who is best able to start if Rising is not fully healed for the Florida game. Anointing Johnson the future off one halfback screen seems shortsighted but Utah has 9 months to figure it out.

MineralUte
        Ute Fan
        @mineralute

9-12 months? That’s long. I completely tore mine (and MCL/meniscus) two years ago and was back to full contact soccer in 6 months.

Extra Medium
          Ute Fan
          @runningreddude

That’s because you don’t need an ACL to roll around on the ground and pretend you’re hurt. 

UtesRule
            Ute Fan
            @utesrule

Literally made me laugh out loud, even roll on the ground laughing! Kicky ball…..ugh!!

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

Lmao

RedRocks
            Ute Fan
            @hypodactylus

I am not one to make fun of soccer; I actually (want to) like it! However, this made me laugh! Good one!

All the flopping in soccer is soooooo terrible. The NBA too.  I want to like both of those, but all the flopping and foul-bating drives me away.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Nate has a chance to get playing time this year. Cam might not even be 100% at the start of the season, giving Nate the chance to start and make a case for QB1.

Also, Nate probably understands that Cam being a mobile QB, is always at risk for injury and might not make it through the season.

That said, I could see him transferring. Highly recruited QBs don’t like to ride the pine. It sucks, but I get it.

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

I don’t get it and transfers aren’t very successful, usually.

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

True, but every player that enters the portal thinks they are going to be the exception.

prestitute
          Ute Fan
          @prestitute

Umm, not the case anymore.

Joe Burrow 

Caleb Williams 

Penix

Nix

Jt Daniels 

Stetson Bennett 

Dart 

Cam, etc. 

So many great QBs who have THRIVED. It isn’t just annectdotal.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Cool. Now list all of the Transfer QB’s who have not been successful. I’ll start you off with Cooper Bateman, Jake Bentley, Charlie Brewer, Jack Tuttle.,, heck, you can add JaQuinden Jackson to the list since he is no longer playing QB.

loyter
      Ute Fan
      @loyter

Please someone explain to me why we are gnashing teeth over Nate Johnson. The Utes are 2x champs with Rising, trending up, and generally killing it. I get that he’s a good player, but Nate hasn’t really contributed much so far. Players come and go…

If Nate Johnson was some kind of savior/superstar type, he’d have beat out Cam for the starting spot, yet he didn’t even beat out Barnes for QB2. (Nothing against him, and I hope he ends up a star for the U.)

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Nate has a massive upside. And glimpses of him in games so far have been impressive. Even that little pass to Kendall in the Stanford game that went for a TD looked legit. Quickly released, accurately thrown ball while on the run. And we all know he has elite, track -star speed. 

True, he’s not a proven starter yet. But he has all the tools to be a really good QB.

I think people are just excited for him and don’t want to see him leave. But if he does, it won’t be the end of the world. It never is. See Tuttle and Costelli, who were both as highly rated as Nate.

Nate not beating out Cam is not an indictment. Cam is really good and isn’t going to get beat out by many freshman QBs. I think Nate being QB3 had more to do with the coaching staff trying to preserve his redshirt than being worse than QB2. Also likely that Barnes was QB2 by virtue of having more experience. We know that Whitt (sometimes to the detriment of the team) favors experience over potential (Brewer over Rising is a perfect example). That, combined with wanting him to redshirt is why he was QB3.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

This.
          Nate was preserved.
          I don’t think he’s going anywhere – he seems to be a kid with a good head on his shoulders, much more so than Tuttle or Costelli, but I could be wrong.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

I never understand this type of thinking. Tuttle and Costelli don’t have good heads on their shoulders because they transferred? But someone who stays does?

By that logic, every kid who transferred to Utah does not have a good head on their shoulders since they abandoned someone along the way.

1 10

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

Yep, why should we logjam our QB room for a super senior QB who is a known quantity when we have such promise coming in. this is going to hurt our QB recruiting and in return we get a QB that in 70% of himself in away games.

It’s time to move on. This will hurt the program.

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

With everything we see in the transfer portals and QB’s I hope NJ stays.

Biggest hope is he becomes a solid QB2 and can make plays if rising goes out at all next year, and starts the following season as a sophomore.

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

There is also the matter of Rising’s rehabilitation —  how long it will take.  It would also behoove Utah to have a very strong 2nd with pass / run capability.  AND to use that backup a lot more. 

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Nate Johnson