NCAA Clock Rules

Viewing 9 reply threads

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

We’ve gotten a first glimpse at the new clock rules in college football, with a week 0 sample size showing that the number of plays in a game was reduced by ~8%. How do we think this affects Utah? My initial hypothesis is fewer plays = better for Utah’s style of game (strong defense, run the ball, shorten the game, lower scoring in general). What do others think? Not necessarily your opinion of the rule itself, but rather how it hurts/benefits Utah specifically.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

It benefits efficient offenses. Everyone else, not so much.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

i’m not sure if i have forgotten, or haven’t heard of this. What is the new rule?

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

I had not heard it until yesterday. I understand it is no stopping the clock for first down (while they move the chains), except last 2 min of Q2 & Q4.

Who can confirm or correct?

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

That’s correct. The clock will be stopped after first downs during the last two minutes of each half.

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Game is shortened. Each possession becomes more valuable.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Last night, on the USC broadcast – they said that the new rules will help run-first teams like Utah and OSU. I hope it helps, but I admit I am not sure that I really like fewer plays. That’s just me.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

I really don’t see it hurting or helping any team significantly. Just hurts the fans. Less football, same amount of commercial breaks. God forbid they cut a single TV break and keep the extra football if shortening game time is so important. Soccer seems to manage just fine with basically no commercial breaks. Couldn’t they play in game ads during change of possession or injuries? Just another rule made based on money, not about the game.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

^^^ This 100%.

Teams will adapt to the new rules w/o much notice. But if it leads to more games where I can see the team I want to watch play from the first kick-off instead of channel surfing hoping to find where it’s been moved to while another game takes 45 minutes to exhaust the last 5 minutes of game clock.,, count me as a fan.

But yes, limiting ad breaks would have been preferable instead of going to the pro model.

PNW Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pnwute

I’m in favor of shortening games. College games have gotten too long. Four hour games are too much.
      Of course, like others said, I’d rather they cut down on commercials. But TV money is king, so that’s never going to happen.

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

It actually helps underdogs. Shorter the game the more lucky bounces and individual plays matter. Longer the game is the more likely the better team comes out on top

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Couple of other changes I can recall.

1. Team can’t take multiple time outs at one time (most commonly this has occurred in past years trying to ice the kicker.
      2. (Rather insignificant) No longer will have an ‘untimed’ play when there is a defensive penalty on the last play of the 1st/3rd quarter.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Wouldn’t fewer plays hurt a team like the Utes who “wear down” the opposing teams?

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

That was my initial reaction as well.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football NCAA Clock Rules