BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

Miami too.

NCAA Probe

Charlie Foxtrot
      Ute Fan
      @charliefoxtrot

Interesting.  Not that I understand the in’s and outs of how NIL is supposed to work, but this thing is brand new so I would assume the suspected violations must be pretty serious to draw attention so quickly?

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

While I would love BYU to get the death penalty, I don’t see anything happening. The NCAA is a joke.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Covey might need to be careful with the deal he was working on behalf of his teammates.  Not completely understanding the difference between “pay-to-play” and NIL, but for NIL I thought they are literally paying for the player’s appearance in their ad, social media post, place of business.   Getting a check for the each member of the entire OL for nothing but the fact they they are Team X’s OL might be classified as pay-to-play,

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

They re-wrote the rule book on this.  Players, coaches, and boosters need to be careful. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Apparently they’ve opened up a lot of investigations. Not sure what they can do about it. The NCAA has no teeth and there aren’t any rules governing NIL 🤷‍♂️.

4 1

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I mean, at this point, what is the difference between pay to play and an endorsement deal? Feels like splitting hairs. To me this is the NCAA getting desperate to prove its relevance. Regardless of whether one supports the NIL stuff or not, it seems petty to try to draw some line at this point.

By the way, I saw Texas has a deal where every offensive lineman gets about $50k a year for some sponsorship deal. Things are going to get crazy. And the schools that have the boosters with the deepest pockets will do well. 

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Maybe Texas sucked because were out spending their $50k instead of working on their skills and conditioning.

UTEopia
      Ute Fan
      @uteopia

I have talked with the U about NIL, and not only do they need to review what I am looking at, but the PAC does as well. People are under the misunderstanding that the allowance of NIL somehow eliminated all of the existing NCAA rules that apply to employment of student-athletes. It did not. It simply added name, likeness and image to the permissible employment allowed to student-athletes. It allows, for example, a car dealership to have athletes appear at the dealership and to advertise that they would be there to sign autographs and take photos and then pay the athletes a “fair market value” for their appearance. As the U explained to me, the U must approve any NIL deal and must be able to defend any deal I might do with a player is for a “fair market” exchange of payment and services. In addition to the traditional employment or PR type services for an employer, student-athletes are allowed to create their own brands and sell them on internet or to become tiktok stars, etc.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

The BYU fans on Reddit are salty as hell over this, and screaming from the rooftops that Covey’s deal is the same. I hope not. I expect not. Kingsley Sumitaia announced his transfer to the Y and a Big NIL deal the same day. Unseemly if you ask me.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

That sounds a lot like pay for play. And it could be that Covey’s deal is similar, but it just happened so there is no investigation yet. BYU’s deal with built bar is also much bigger in terms of money.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo NCAA looking into BYU NIL for possible violations