NFL bound players playing in a bowl

Viewing 13 reply threads

idahoute
      Ute Fan
      @tfute

When did this start to become an issue with NFL bound players maybe/maybe not playing in a bowl game?  As far as I know there have been zero Ute players sitting out a bowl game.  Yes I am not in their shoes but isn’t every game thus far a risk?  AND if the Utes had beat Oregon how many would be sitting out the Rose Bowl or CFP??  Answer…zero

Just because we fell a bit into the Alamo Bowl doesn’t mean A LOT is on the line for the future of Utah football.  For a team that from my perspective looked and acted like a family and genuinely cared for each other and the program, I would be very surprised if any NFL bound player sits.  They are playin… coming back angry with something to prove!

thoughts?

6 4

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I know Blackmon wishes he could play. 
      JJ doesn’t have much to prove. Neither do any of the dline. I wouldn’t mind getting a good look at next years guys. Bernard has his own new family to think of why risk his future on a game that won’t matter?
      Moss should be preparing for combine and the next phase in his life. I wouldn’t mind seeing more from his backups. Huntley needs to bounce back because next to the Oline he had a rough night. Happy feet and not quick on his decisions. 

10 1

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Not to be a jerk, but perhaps a few of our players could reestablish their draft stock after that last game by beating up on Texas.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

That’s kind of what I was thinking. I didn’t want to be the first to say it. Texas can out athlete us on any given day… But their coaching is in shambles.

idahoute
      Ute Fan
      @tfute

I guess my point is, there have been lots of players over the years go to the NFL. Why all of a sudden is their some question as to should a particular player sit? Did not all the other players take the same risk? Maybe OnlyU or a former D1 player could educate me. I respect anyone’s decision and think the world of all our guys but you only get one LAST chance to play with your brothers. Years of blood, sweat and cheers to go out a winner and create momentum for the school and underclassmen or sit and watch.

“100+ players pulling in the same direction” except the bowl game? seems odd and uncharacteristic

2 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

My point is I don’t fault anyone that does sit. 

ThurstonW
      Ute Fan
      @thurstonw

Last year was the first time I saw a UTE sit out of the bowl game….. Chase Hansen.

ThurstonW
        Ute Fan
        @thurstonw

It sucks that they miss out on their final game with the team.  However, if they potentially have a shot at big $$$ in the NFL, it would be tough risking injury in a bowl game. 

In Hansen’s case, he had had several injuries in his career at Utah.  Sitting out was probably not a bad decision.

Swoop Doggy Dogg
        Ute Fan
        @swoopdoggydogg

IIRC Hansen broke his hip in the PAC 12 title game against Washington. Similar to what happened to Tua. 

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Chase was nursing some herniated discs in his back at the time. I think it was more of an injury than some other explanation.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

I have no problem with it. These guys with talent have a small window of opportunity to make it and every draft position is a huge difference in payout. Injuries at this point could be a virtual career killer. Not fair to question any of these guys for not being team players if they decide to not play.

The, I don’t like the school I signed up for, portal and how much head coaches are over paid is more of a scam to me. If Moss, JJ, Anae, Fotu, and any others decide not to play…good on em’. These guys balled out for Utah football and earned the right. At this point their pro stock has been evaluated.

Besides, per coaches speak, I thought bowl games were all about getting in more practices for next season. In that case, what good is that for any senior. Let the new guys play. Just another perspective. Go Utes!

idahoute
      Ute Fan
      @tfute

injury exclusion

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

If we don’t owe them our attendance, they don’t owe us an appearance. If we won’t sacrifice our time and money, why should they sacrifice their bodies?

javadave
        Ute Fan
        @javadave

Why did they play in any games then if they are afraid of getting a boo boo?

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Bryce Love at Stanford is the first one I think I can remember.

Swoop Doggy Dogg
      Ute Fan
      @swoopdoggydogg

This phenomenon began within the last decade. Christian McCaffrey being a notable example off the top of my head.

The bowl games don’t have as much meaning with the shear amount of games, diluting the pool. It’s also lost meaning with the advent of the playoffs. The Rose Bowl is no longer the highest goal within the PAC 12.

If you have proven everything you can over the course of your career and are a lock for a high draft pick, why risk injury and millions of dollars for a game that is basically a TV execs inventory for advertising dollars?

Swoop Doggy Dogg
      Ute Fan
      @swoopdoggydogg

There is plenty of film on every player. One game won’t destroy draft stock or repair it that much. Also, Senior Bowl, the NFL Combine, Pro Day, etc.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I keep reading about this, maybe it happens nationally, but I read ithat NONE of the UTAH players are planning to sit out — obviously the injured, like Blackmon, excluded.

CapitalUte
      Ute Fan
      @capitalute

The expansion of film, media, scouting services, combines, use of analytics, etc. have drastically changed the game and player evaluation. The business of football is so different from 10 years ago it’s hard to compare what was to what is now. Wasn’t that long ago that we praised players’ “toughness” when they would shake off potential brain trauma and stay in the games after getting their “bell rung”. Bowl games have become another data set among many for the NFL, however, one with huge potential risk for players. I have no problem with guys weighing that risk and sitting out if that one extra data set won’t make a difference.  

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

It started because of the Jaylen Smith injury. I don’t blame a guy with the chance for an high draft spot not playing in a meaningless game. It could cost them a lot money to do so.

To those that are saying they need to play it to improve draft stock, I think you need to look at that again. The CCG isn’t going to hurt them. That would be silly.

players sitting out

CapitalUte
        Ute Fan
        @capitalute

Jake Butt and Kenny Wilkes are recent additions to that heartbreaking list. It isn’t a cut and dry answer. So many things have to be weighed by the individual player. If Coaches can skip bowl games in pursuit of paydays, players can do the same.   

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football NFL bound players playing in a bowl