OnlyU thoughts on the season

Viewing 3 reply threads
      10 1

NashvilleTNUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @nashvilletnutefan

With the regular season now over, OnlyU do you have any thoughts on the season as a whole? What’s the feeling within the program about this season? I’m sure they feel like it was a disappointment, which it was in some ways, but hopefully they aren’t too hard on themselves, they overcame a lot.

Any idea how the players/coaches feel about the move to the big 12? I’d imagine they see it as an opportunity to finally break into the playoffs, especially with the new 12 team format.

Lastly, despite reports early in the season that the locker room was dividing over the whole Cam situation, it seemed to me that the guys really stuck together and had each others backs. Was there any truth to that early on and if there was, is any of that still lingering especially now that cam is coming back? Seems like the team is excited to have him back, but that’s just my perspective from the outside. Maybe there are a handful that were hoping he’d move on.

A lot of different questions/topics here, feel free to address or ignore any/all of it

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Overall a disappointing result based on what we all thought was possible in August BUT when you look at the 150+ games missed by expected starters it’s hard to be upset about ending 8-4. Good year and pretty strong coaching job. The culture in the program is real and the kids fight man! That is a big deal. The program is still in a great spot.

Proud of the effort we saw at SC and Washington…disappointed in how we showed up in Corvallis and Tucson. Ultimately just too much to overcome with so many expected key contributors not able to play. Should have a good chance to win a bowl game so going 9-4 is a good result all things considered.

Everyone in the country knew about our injuries because of the weekly publicity we received, being ranked for almost the whole season. The brand or reputation wasn’t damaged and with what we have coming back next year and what we’ll add we’ll again be ranked in the top 15 to start the year. Staying visible is critical for many reasons and we did that and received countless statements of respect from the media throughout the year.

There was frustration with Cam’s situation but not with Cam himself. He was being directed by his doc so it wasn’t on him. He maintained his presence and kept his respect in the building. Brant had a set back that a final check up probably would have caught (cyst) but he missed an appointment and it flared up on him. By the time he had it cleaned out and was closer to going there was already a lot that happened leading home to shut it down. Micah did a stupid thing…college kid accident that resulted in a freak injury and shut him down. Having any of them would have had a positive impact but as I sit here now the thought that all 3 somehow have another year is crazy. I expect them all back.

An injury at C forced us to shift the line around before the season started and that hurt cohesion. I still think the line can be very good in the future with the talent we have there but that group as a whole underperformed. The one thing stuck in my craw is letting JJ play through his injury against Weber St. we should have shut him down which would have likely given him a better chance to get healthy. Opportunity missed imo. He’s a gamer but we should have made the decision for him.

We’ve had a large infusion of NIL $ and have more than we have ever had to work with in the portal. I expect a ton of activity in the next month and then again in the Spring cycle as needed. Cam announcing early was planned and critical to drawing in a few players we need. There is a growing feeling that the program is about to go all in on the opportunity they have next year. Coaches, players, additions, new conference, etc.

I think at the end of next year we could see the end of an era…players and coaches riding off into the Ute sunset. That’s my opinion and not based on anything specific but I believe it’s a possibility if they reach the playoff. I have always believed that Whitt and Lud hang them up at the same time and we’d usher in a new group (a lot of the same faces plus some fresh blood) in 2025!

Go Utes!!

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’m with you on a lot of things. I think had we beaten Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, Whitt would have called it a career.

That being said, I think had we beaten Penn St…Whitt would have the playoff taste in his mouth.

And with the expanded playoff format next year, the goal 100% should be playoffs. 100%.

Our toughest game next year might be @UCF…and that’s not a compliment to UCF. We should roll through the Big 12.

I know Utah won’t, but they should really try to cancel the Baylor game. If we could drop Baylor and add Oregon State…that would be wonderful…and not because Oregon State will be good. They will be terrible next year. It is a game that would look good nationally (tossing a bone to OSU) and we’d win easily. We’d get headlines, eyeballs and a win.

ASU will be a mess. Colorado might be tough…or they may be another mess. Houston is bad. Oklahoma St is decent. UCF is getting better, but a roadtrip to the other side of the country is always really, really hard.

Arizona will be tough if they keep their coaching staff together. If not, they won’t be that hard. BYU and Iowa State are wins.

That leaves TCU.

That means a terrible year for Utah next year is 9-3.

If Whitt was ever going to do something, now is the time. If he needs to pull money out of his bank account and hand sandwiches full of cash to NLI groups to fund players coming here, he should do it.

If we can’t make the playoffs next year…we might not ever be able to make the playoffs.

22Ute22
          Ute Fan
          @utedagoat

Oklahoma State will probably be good next year dude. They started trash this year and got better, like 2021 Utah. I think they carry that momentum forward and you can never count out Gundy, who is their Whitt. Plus that game is in Stillwater. I think we should win, but that will be our most difficult game imo.

2 4

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Eh. Call me unimpressed by a team that could barely handle BYU in a game that a win sends them to the Big 12 title game. They should have blown BYU like every other Big 12 team. Let’s see how they do against Texas.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

That was clearly a product of overlooking TSPP with Sitake going for broke to get that win for an invite.

Credit Okie state for the rally and win really. I don’t see it as TSPP blowing it as Sitake is extremely limited with what he has to work with.

1 1

Utah
                Ute Fan
                @utah

So…you’re telling me to worried about a team that overlooks BYU when a win will send them to the conference title game?

Again, another reason why OSU is a good team, but not a team that should worry us year in, year out. They almost lost to BYU. They did lose to some directional southern school. Yeah, they get up for big games. Much like BYU got up for big games.

But they aren’t big time.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Utah overlooked TSPP before even recently. This isn’t a foreign concept in sports.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Thanks for the information!

Not sure what caused so many injuries this year, but hopefully the team swings back towards the average (or better) next year on the injury front.

2 1

tanute3
        Ute Fan
        @tanute3

Thanks OnlyU, always good to hear from you. Anything thoughts on the following players returning vs leaving next year? Assuming we’ll have Kuithe and Bernard coming back based on your comments

Bishop
        Vele
        Bills
        Lumea
        Ellis
        Pittman
        Yassmin

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

I think Laumea and Pittman return. Bills also but I’m not sure yet about him.

Bishop 51/49 he leaves. Depends on if his draft grade improved. 3rd rounder today IMO. I just have a feeling he wants to go.

Vele is actually trending the right way for a return but that’s not a given because of his age. I’ve always thought he’d leave after this season

Vaughn is one to watch…has NFL measurables they love and that might entice him to go.

Cope is a big body and strong but was just never able to break through. He’s been here for 3 years and really only played special teams. Just not the right fit for some reason.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Thanks for the great update and your insights. Quick question for you… everything I’ve seen on Bishop regarding his draft status has him as 6th/7th RD pick. In fact, PFF has him as #192 on their Big Board. Do you have any sources that have him rated so highly (3rd RD) or is it just your gut? I’d think that him going late on Day 3 of the draft would make him consider staying for his senior season.

Xanthis
            Ute Fan
            @xanthis

Vaughn announced on TV he is coming back.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Thanks, Onlyu. Great information. I think the staff is all in for a playoff bid in 2024 and then there will likely be a lot of changes.

Go Utes!!!

concerned
        Ute Fan
        @concerned

Great info. Thank you very much. Why couldn’t Ccope ever break into the rotation? By the end of last year I thought he might break out this year. But he nver played even though Pittman got injured and Simmons stunk. Just curious.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I like the optimism and tone coming from you @Onlyu.

Thanks!

Go Utes!

22Ute22
        Ute Fan
        @utedagoat

It would be so hard on Scalley if Whitt retired after next season. So many shoes to fill.

22Ute22
        Ute Fan
        @utedagoat

Can I ask you about the OL and DL play? Seems like the O-line was very disappointing this year. Maea would have helped, but it seems like Bills and Laumea, individually, weren’t as good as we hoped for. Was this due to the center play, bad QB play, defenses stacking the box, or were they simply not as good as we expected them to be? Fano is understandable since he’s a true freshman. Mokofisi was just awful. He should not be a starting lineman for us next year.

As for the DL, the DT’s were a major disappointment. Tafuna isn’t the star player that we expected he would turn into after his freshman season in 2021. As for the DE’s, they were really not good in run containment and setting the edge, at least to my untrained eye. Is it because they are undersized? Van simply doesn’t look like a good DE, and O’Toole was so hyped up as a pass rusher, only to not deliver. He was said to be our best pass rusher, but I don’t think he’s even in the same tier as Elliss and even Fano.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Thanks ONLYU. Vaughn already announced he’s back.. We need to do whatever we can to
      Keep Bishop. I hope they throw a bag at him. I believe with one more amazing year he’s a first round pick and would get paid this year. Hopefully like Rising. He’s the only one I really really want back. I hope he stays.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Where did Vaughn announce he’s back? All he did was post some pics of the season on IG

concerned
          Ute Fan
          @concerned

On a radio show yesterday

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

Nice – That’s good news

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

If you can Onlyu please tell the team THANKS!!!! — they all did there best!!!! I am just one person but love the team and coaches

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football OnlyU thoughts on the season