Paging OnlyU!

Viewing 4 reply threads

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

What did we figure out last year? How did we figure out how to score consistently within the 5 yard line of the end zone? Was it Tavion Thomas? Was it the 3 TE set? Was it Bam? Seems like we ran a lot of gap right blocking and then would let the RB choose a hole. 

In years past when we would drive the ball within the 5 yard line of the end zone I would look at my dad and say, “This is the worst possible position we could be in right now to get a touchdown!” Obviously Tavion had 21 TD’s in one season. What a gamer! I’m hoping this OL and Tavion punch repeats for 2022-23.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Remember Utah @ Cal in like 2016? We had something like 7 plays from the 9 at the end, including 1st and goal from the 2 (with Zack Moss) and lost…

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Yes! I can feel the insanity even now. There was a negative correlation once we got inside the 5 yard line as far as how close we were to the end zone to the chance of getting a TD. 

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

From up to 10 yards out, it’s Tavion time. Dude was automatic last year. Never had that much red zone confidence as a Utah fan before and it was awesome. Seemed like a guarantee we’d score. 

BigUteGuy
        Ute Fan
        @biguteguy

Woof. And USC in 2019.

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Ugh…saw that live. Still have nightmares about that game. Combination of better players and better scheme I think. Ludwig is pretty good.

LetItRide
            Ute Fan
            @letitride

Same here. My brother and I had goal line seats where those plays happened.  Never have I been so exhausted with “we got it “……….to nope. 

Left walking thru campus row with tail between legs. CAL fans were cool though. They know they escaped. 

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

There was a good hole, but Zack was young and missed it. Saw it live. Exciting but disappointing ending.

stbone
      Ute Fan
      @stbone

Previously teams would run-blitz very heavily on short yardage and close to the goal line b/c we didn’t have very many threats that could quickly get open. Combination of Risings quick processing and the excellent tight end play slows the backers and safeties, opening running lanes. 

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

I remember failing in Corvallis last year…..That was painful to witness.

But otherwise we were essentially money in that position w/CR & TT.

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

A contributing factor in my mind is offensive scheme and spread with run/pass option vs more pro style with play action pass.

When we rely upon the run/pass option, the O-line is trained to not block downfield in order to avoid an illegal man downfield penalty.

In a play action pass offense, the play is called (run or pass) and the O line can block accordingly.

In the years where we have heavy called run plays, I just remember the O line getting more push consistently. And I think that is in how we recruit, practice and execute.

Plus Tavion is a beast, particularly in the red zone.

My thoughts.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Paging OnlyU!