Please, no more Barnes.

Viewing 8 reply threads
      13 2

ukiyoronin
      Ute Fan
      @ukiyoronin

Johnson is just better. He passed better, he runs better, he made better decisions.

7 25

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

You’re all starting to sound like Cougar fans. When they win; Kalani is the best HC in the country, when they lose, FIRE KALANI BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Last week Barns was a hero, this week, you’all turned into winning lil bitches. So he had a bad game, give him a break; Risen is not coming back for a while, and Barns can keep the Utes from sinking. Johnson is fast, but he can’t pass for s**t past 25 yards.

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

i never thought barnes was a hero last weekend. nobody even really thought he was. I’ve wanted NJ this whooooolllleeee time

15 3

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

1. Barnes can’t pass for s**t for any yards.
        2. There was always a lot of fans who didn’t like Barnes. For years.
        3. Whitt does this a lot. Remember losing to SDSU because Whitt didn’t want to bring in Rising?
        4. Don’t call me a cougar fan. That’s awful. Just awful. My biggest regret in life is if I was ever mistaken for one of those guys.
        5. No one has said to fire Whitt or Ludwig or anyone. And if someone has, they are a moron. BUT, I can’t stand this attitude where you can’t criticize a leader. It’s a really bad way to be and if you can’t criticize your leader, then your leader is not a good person.

2 1

22Ute22
        Ute Fan
        @utedagoat

How do you know Nate can’t pass past 25 yards? You’ve literally never seen him try in a live game. He looked bad in spring because he was hurt and missed some practices. Let’s see what he can actually do. Even if he can’t this season, guess what, neither can Barnes! Barnes has a nice throw every 15 attempts, and that’s it.

1 4

Caliman
          Ute Fan
          @elguapoute

My money is on BB. He’ll rebound and throw that pig skin for 300+ yards and 4 TD vs. Weber, and probably rush for another 2 scores. I want to see what you’all comments will be then.

22Ute22
            Ute Fan
            @utedagoat

Lol you are assuming he even starts. News flash, he won’t. The QB battle was settled on the field this past week. Barnes nearly cost us the game and Nate had to lead a comeback. Only a fool would let Barnes start against Weber. Nate and Barnes share the same floor at the moment, but Nate’s ceiling is way higher. Nate needs to play against Weber and he needs to be allowed to air it out and make mistakes.

AZUTE
        Ute Fan
        @azute

This is just the dumbest post I’ve ever read on this board.

Utah is winning despite Barnes. He made one play vs Florida

He doesn’t have a strong arm. He’s slow at decision making and hesitates throwing to open receivers.

He doesn’t make mistakes but he doesn’t make plays either

UtahUtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahutesrock

Except this isn’t a week to week thing. Barnes’ weakness has been apparent for at least the last season and the start of this season. He is entirely too slow in his decision making. The line eventually breaks down and the runners have to come out of routes. Mitchell was saying the same thing on Saturday. I had to run an errand at the right before the end of the half and he was noting that Barnes keys in on a receiver or a side and isn’t looking back as openings develop. He missed a number of wide open receivers and instead got nervous and tried to escape the pocket. He’s not the answer. He’s a good kid but a known quantity. We need to let somebody new have adequate time to play and see how they develop.

Ma’ake Kava
      Ute Fan
      @ma-ake

It certainly appears we found our QB2, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Baylor game-planned for Barnes and then Nate threw them a curve. The 15 play drive in the 4th was the difference, made them pay for their energy expended in the first half.

Barnes wasn’t helped by receivers a few plays, not finding the opening – clearly miscommunication on where the ball should be.

But hats off to Mr. Nate Johnson. Weber will game plan for NJ now, certainly.

Great team victory. We had every reason to sag… but we didn’t, we fought back.

4 4

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Barnes has been bad outside of one throw this season. Something strange about him man. It’s like he has one great throw in him per season.

1 6

Caliman
          Ute Fan
          @elguapoute

NOT! BB did well against Florida.

5 1

Larry B
            Ute Fan
            @larryb

No he didn’t.

1 4

Caliman
              Ute Fan
              @elguapoute

Professional Sports broadcasters think so, you’re just a casual.

4 1

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

He was 12/18 for 159 yards, 70 of which came on the first play of the game. That means that he was 11/17 for 89 yards during the rest of the game. That’s a typical quarter for Williams, Nix, or Penix and won’t win you many games outright.

AZUTE
            Ute Fan
            @azute

Mrs Barnes is that you?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Insensitive post of the week award recipient.

3 2

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Barnes just isn’t a P5 QB. I counted at least three times where he was under little to no pressure and couldn’t hit open receivers. I don’t dislike him, but we’ve all seen his talent level. He’s OK to come into a game after an injury and try to stage-manage a victory but I certainly wouldn’t want to give a top-notch defense a week to plan for him.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

There were also plenty of times the line didn’t pick up stunts. And probably 7 first down rollout rights – including on the game trying drive – that put the offense behind the sticks.

The passing game didn’t really get going until Ludwig finally let Johnson throw from the pocket. It helped that Baylor was willing to give up the underneath stuff at that point. But when you keep running plays that the other team is blowing up, you aren’t going to look very sharp.

Charlie Foxtrot
          Ute Fan
          @charliefoxtrot

Yeah, Barnes did not do well with the stunts and defenders in his face. He was always half a step slow and holding on to the ball too long. Also, Glover didn’t hold his blocks for Barnes long enough on a few plays, but I’m not a coach so that could have been on Barnes not getting the ball out quick enough? Nate looked much sharper when he was throwing, but I think his ability to run makes the D play him differently

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

Scott Mitchell said that Barnes was hesitating on everything he did. That is a recipe for disaster at QB. Throws timing off, results in missed throws, sacks, and picks.

4 11

Lellie
      Ute Fan
      @uterific

WOW…..Ute fans sure have turned into Zoobs. Reading you folks dump on Barns is like reading Cougarboard. JFC.

5 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

This is such a lazy response. Throw some buzz words out and act like you accomplished something.

Why should Barnes start, since you seem to know it all.

1 4

Caliman
          Ute Fan
          @elguapoute

Because He can do this, and nate can not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHptsKxBEdM

1 9

Caliman
          Ute Fan
          @elguapoute

Because Nate is one dimentional, can not throw the deep ball. Once defences zero in on his running ability He will be ineficient
          Utes will not win many games on purely running ability. Barns has a strong arm ( according to KW), the strongest arm in the QB room, and has shown signs of being able to run. All He needs is a lil more confidence. Also, besides M. Parks, Utahs reveivers are terrible. You can be the greates QB of all time, but if your receivers suck, you ain’t passing for sh!t.

UofU Fanatic
            Ute Fan
            @uofufanatic

Look at the stats as I’m not sure why you are defending Barnes so much and putting down the QB that came in and gave the spark to finally get the offense going to win this game.

Nate, 6/7 for 81 yards, QBR 75, avg 11.7 yds, 32 rushing yards, rushing TD. All that in essentially 1 quarter of play.

Barnes, 6/19 for 71 yards, QBR 8, avg 3 yards, 1 interception, no TD, 21 rushing yards

UofU Fanatic
              Ute Fan
              @uofufanatic

And that’s the story with the stats, very obvious. But no way is it necessary to even look up the stats as just use the eye ball test. Barnes completely sucked the entire game throwing too late, almost had few more interceptions, scrambling taking time off clock to get 1/2 yard vs just throwing away, terrible throws all game. Yes he helped us win last year for Wazzu and helped in Florida (but nate Johnson did too). Take away his slightly lucky 70 yard deep throw that snuck in between double coverage and he was super mediocre.

BUT I will admit that Nate has had some possible ball turning over plays but I’m the end he still didn’t turn the ball over yet. Barnes has turned it over and also had several other close calls for additional interceptions

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

slightly lucky?

UofU Fanatic
                  Ute Fan
                  @uofufanatic

I would say so, that luck had an effect. I’m assuming you are being sarcastic and indicating that it was a very lucky throw.

He made a decent decision seeing the safety begin to move up on Vele. It just barely got it there and then Money makes the great catch.

In one of Barnes interviews he mentioned he just threw it as hard and far as he can as someone like Money can adjust and get under it

2008 National Champ
                    Ute Fan
                    @cptmrgn05

You assume wrong.

Barnes throws the ball just as Parks is coming out of his break and his only job is to keep it farther than the safety and away from the coverage on Parks. He also needs to put enough air on it so that Parks can find the ball and adjust his route (which Vele didn’t do on the pass to Bernard later in the game). Nothing lucky about the throw which traveled over 50 yards in the air and accomplished exactly what it was supposed to.

Bag on Barnes all you want for having a bad game at Baylor but lets not pretend that when he did something right it was actually dumb luck.

Was the out route to Vele (2:07) luck also?

UofU Fanatic
                      Ute Fan
                      @uofufanatic

My bad assuming, guess there is that saying about assuming for a reason :D.

Little sensitive about this post for me saying slightly lucky 70 yd TD throw. I didn’t say it was complete dumb luck. I still think it has some luck with it. I agreed that he made the decision to throw to Money with the safety making a step forward to Vele. But Barnes himself admits that he just threw it as hard as he can and it barely landed in the perfect spot. To me, looking at how he performed the rest of that game and Baylor I don’t feel ashamed to say he had mediocre stats after the first throw against Florida and awful game against Baylor, as given by the 8 QBR.

That aside, I love everything about him. Works his tail off, very positive, and solid teammate.

This armchair critic (me) still thinks there was some luck in that 1st Florida game throw. But whatever, I’ll move on lol

stbone
            Ute Fan
            @stbone

I don’t think that lots of the criticism of Barnes is fair. He had a bad game BU, but it seemed to get significantly worse after the bad pick. That seemed to completely blow his confidence which led to him holding the ball too long and making more bad decisions. I don’t think Barnes has the ceiling to justify giving him time/chances to work through the mental funk, but even good quarterbacks have bad games and loose confidence.

Regarding Johnson being one-dimensional in that he can’t throw the deep ball – isn’t that the same criticism of Rising? And, haven’t we done pretty well with Rising’s lack of deep ball? Also, with Johnson’s running abilities, I don’t know if he needs the deep ball. He is fast enough that he will force the safeties up and keep LBs from quickly taking their drops, which should open gobs of space for short and intermediate routes in the opposite way that a good deep ball opens space for short and intermediate routes.

1 1

Caliman
              Ute Fan
              @elguapoute

thumbs up for at least giving a logical explanation as to why Nate is better instead of completly craping on Barns. Makes since. Ther’s a ton of haters on this board for sure!

3 3

AZUTE
            Ute Fan
            @azute

Wait wait wait did you just say Branes has the strongest arm of all the QBs????

Lol!!!! His arm is not even close to Rose or Johnson. Watch the tape again the pass to parks was under thrown. Money had to adjust to the pass to catch it. The pass was 55 yards most HS QBs can throw it 55 yards

Utah loses to Baylor if Barnes plays the last half of the 4th qtr.

I’d love to know what you see that Whit and Lud don’t cause they benched him.

You have zero credibility which means you’re just hear to argue and stir the pot.

Go back to Cougarboard

3 2

Caliman
              Ute Fan
              @elguapoute

I didn’t say Barns has the strongest arm, KW did. Before the season started during an interview, KW said just that, “Barns has the strongest arm in the QB room”. google it. And abviously KW and lwd do see something in Barns, as He was put on full scholarship just e few days ago. So yur’re just talking out of your ass. Try harder!

1 3

AZUTE
                Ute Fan
                @azute

Ok Zoob. Go back to Cougarboard you’ve been outed

1 3

Lellie
          Ute Fan
          @uterific

And you just proved my point about cougarboard bitches.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I think the story around Barnes is great and I think we all want him to do well. What I don’t like is the expectations placed on him by many and then the way those same people just trash him when he falls short. Objectively, he is not a very serviceable P5-level college QB. He is late on his throws and he always seems to be very tentative which will get you killed at this level. I feel like Nate gives us a better chance to win and I am not yet convinced that he has inferior passing skills compared to Barnes. I also feel that both of them have equal turnover risk but Nate has much greater ability to run either to escape or as a planned QB play. So, I would love to see us go with Nate until Cam gets back 100% or close to it. However, let’s maybe temper our comments about Bryson a little bit with some reality.

Brettski
        Ute Fan
        @brettski

The best comment came last. Thanks, Rick! Well said.

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

There’s enough film on Barnes that opposing teams can gameplay against his weaknesses decision making / hesitations. There really isn’t on NJ yet. There will be and then whatever weaknesses he has will get exposed.

It’s pretty clear Barnes at this point is a higher floor lower ceiling so Whitt will go with him believing that he’s got ‘the most talented’ team and that he’ll win by controlling the game from all phases. Over time my guess is that NJ will raise his floor but do you want to risk a loss right now when you think you have the better overall team.

The number of possessions this year are going to plummet.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Wait, are you saying that even after all we’ve seen from Barnes in the last seven quarters, he’s still going to be the starting QB come Saturday? I don’t know how Kyle can do that and not lose half the team. If you subtract Barnes’s first pass from his season stats, he’s gone 17/36 for 160 yards in the first two games. Sure, he can come out guns blazing versus Weber State but does that really show us anything? Personally, I have to think that the only times we see Barnes on the field the rest of the season is in case of blowouts or injuries.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

It’s times like these I get to ignore some users. Start accusing fans of being Zoobish when Utehub talked about this all off-season. I literally loved the thumbs down and accusations that I am anti Milford person. Like I care what part of Utah you came from.

I feel like I was correct objectively since the Pedo state bowl. I was even so radical as suggesting we rebuild with Johnson or Rose. That was operating under Rising going to another school or NFL. YET I AM THE ZOOB! Ok welcome to ignore.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Please, no more Barnes.