Up Next in FB:
Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

Pre-Season Ute Football Awards

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pre-Season Ute Football Awards

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Red Rhino
      Participant

Can’t stop thinking about football, so thought I would give everyone a chance to share their pre-season Ute Football Awards. Here are the categories with my answers:

Most Valuable Player: Cameron Rising
      Offensive Player of the year (Not Rising): Brant Kuithe
      Defensive Player of the year: Lander Barton
      Special Teams Player of the year: Cole Becker
      Surprise Player of the year: Sam Huard
      Freshman Player of the year: Taeshaun Lyons

Have a different opinion? Please share!

tanute3
      Participant

I’m not overly optimistic that we see the Kuithe of old this year, but would love to be wrong. I do think Singer is going to light it up – give me him for offensive MVP not named Rising.

If I could add another category: most underrated/under appreciated player = Money Parks. May not have the biggest stat lines to date but dude is talented and just shows up in big moments (see 3rd and long TD vs USC in P12 title game). With all the receiving weapons it appears we have, I think we see a big year from Money as opposing defenses forget about how good he is.

ProudUte
      Participant

Hard to argue with most of your picks. Like TanUte, I think Singer may be the offensive player of the year not named Rising. However, I am fine if it turns out to be Kuithe.

I don’t under Huard being your surprise player of the year. I hope Rising stays healthy and we don’t see Huard. Also, I hope that Wilson is QB2. I think he is our future.

My surprise player of the year is Smith Snowden. I hope he has a great year and a few pick-sixes.

Go Utes!!!

AlohaUte
      Participant

I’m going to predict that one of our RBs is going to break out and grab hold of the RB1 role and be the breakout player / offensive player of the year.

Dallas
        Participant

If that happens we’re going to have a very exciting year. My fear is RB will be a big weak spot.

Rick
          Participant

When has RB ever been a weak spot in a Utah offense? Someone will rise up as RB1 and we all know what Micah Bernard can do as RB2. My biggest concern is replacing Keaton Bills. I think he was a huge key to several of our wins last year.

Rick
      Participant

If he stays healthy I vote for Connor O’Toole to tie Barton for defensive MVP. I also think that Tafuna will push for consideration on the defensive side.

Surprise player – Tao Johnson at safety

MDUte
      Participant

The only way the Utes make the CFP is if Cam Rising takes us there. So…

MVP – Cam Rising
      Offensive PoY – Dorian Singer
      Offensive Breakout Performer – either Landen King or Carsen Ryan
      Defensive PoY – Lander Barton (it’s Barton’s defense now IMO)
      Defensive Breakout Performer – Connor O’Toole or Kenan Johnson
      Offensive Position Group of the Year – O-Line
      Defensive Position Group of the Year – D-Line

Rick
        Participant

Love the position group of the year add on – and from your lips to God’s ears.

UtesRule
      Participant

If Sam Huard is the surprise player of the year, that would likely mean that Cam Rising got injured and Huard played significant minutes, so let’s hope that’s not the case.

Best case scenario is that Huard only sees limited mop up time in many blowout wins. 

Red Rhino
      Participant

I really hope that Cam doesn’t get injured, but realistically, even with a considerably healthy season, the chances that he misses two-three games are pretty high. I honestly hope that Wilson is the guy, but there seems to be a lot of questions revolving around his surgery. I believe that we brought in Huard because the coaches think Wilson won’t be ready to play if Cam has an injury. I also believe they want someone with more experience, hence Huard was brought in. If Huard is able to preserve a playoff run during a 2-3 game stretch where Cam is healing up, then I believe he would be deserving of Most surprising player of the year. Let’s hope we don’t need him though!

Red Rhino
      Participant

Huard had some really bad games when he started for Washington, especially the Apple Cup. He also had some really amazing throws and has legit arm talent. Most of his bad decision making seems to have come from inexperience and forcing throws. Hopefully he can get those mistakes cleaned up when the game slows down for him.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.