Recruiting Impact of Morgan Scalley

Viewing 8 reply threads

Bostonutes
      Ute Fan
      @bostonutes

Hey,

I don’t have any information about the Morgan Scalley situation, and have perhaps a different look at the impact of Morgan Scalley with minority recruits.  Even with the Scalley baggage, the Utes will still get in the door, because of the player development and program profile.  The Utes then will have an opportunity to land the recruit because of how they recruit.  Utah Football has long taken the aproach of talking to recruits early and building a relationship with players and coaches from the “U”, rather than the ASU negative recruiiting fly in at the end, or BYU’s known poaching approaches.  You are foolish if you dismiss this as that is how programs that can’t get players have to recruit, that is how we got the cornerback recruit that flipped from Ohio State. We were on him early, and when he wanted out of Ohio State, he came to Utah  I think building the relationship is how we get players who are committed before they arrive, and then improve throughout their time at the “U”. 

Because of the relationship approach, the Ute coaching staff will have a chance early on to air the issues, and see if the recruit wants to continue the recruiting process before the recruit has even met with other programs.  Then the reality of whatever Scalley has done in my opinion will be minimized, because the recruit will have met other minority players, past players and other minority coaches as part of the relationship building process, to see the other side of the story.  Also, this is not an add on, because this is how they recruit anyway.

Many times the Utes have gotten all leveles of recruits, because they were the first one to the table.  The approach has been effective.      

The “relationship” approach will still work, even with Scalley’s mis-steps.  Yes, it still may be an issue, but as the relationship is built and hopefully that relationship will stick as it has for many Ute minority recruits.  So yes we may lose some “high level” recruits, but i don’t agree this is the end of minority recruiting.  

Just my thoughts…    

9 1

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

Exactly, look at programs like Clemson and Iowa for example. Iowa especially has been under the microscope lately for things much more severe than what happened with Scalley, and they are still going to recruit successfully because of how they churn out NFL talent. Utah will be no different, in fact I think we will be better off than Iowa will be. Obviously Clemson will be fine, but to say this is going to tank the Utah Football program is just not correct. I’m sure it will have an effect, but not enough to panic over, and even then it will only have an effect for a few years at the most.

4 16

User Suspended
        @a2ute

you’re overlooking the pink elephant in the room. We’re talking about lily-white Utah. No state carries the stereotypes Utah does (and many are well justified).  You’re comparing apples to oranges. The recruiting impact by retaining MS will be magnified. 

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

80 of 85 of Scalley’s recruits have been Black. 99% have vouched for him and many of those players AND their families have sent in character letters on his behalf the past few weeks. MS has plenty of support and understanding in the black community despite this lack of judgement 7 or 8 years ago. There is obviously more info related to this situation than most of you know and it will likely stay that way. Most of that info heavily leans to Scalley’s character.

In today’s environment it could still lead to his termination but at this point, as more information has been collected, I feel confident he deserves to stay, improve himself and continue to help develop the program and those he’s responsible for.

User Suspended
            @a2ute

Perfect scenario:  Kwhit had a handful of talented black coaches interested in the DC position. But as we know the kwhitt coaching Rolodex is pretty limited to the “region”

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

Iowa is just as lily-white as Utah.  And as of right now, 4-star RB Ricky Parks (Tampa, FL), had narrowed down his choice to…

…Utah and Iowa.

And Ricky Parks is black.

Cesar Chavez
            Ute Fan
            @le-cockgrande

IOWA SUCKS! Parks is coming to Utah, Who’s with me? Hi-FIVE..

3 1

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

Wait, 6 months ago you were saying that using the lack of minorities in Utah as a reason Utah struggles to get top caliber players was just a poor excuse and was untrue.  Now it’s true?  Troll!

4 4

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Cause Iowa isn’t White. Cause Iowa doesn’t have a perception as an good ole farm boys state. Bro you’re so misguided it’s ridiculous.

1 7

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Didn’t them “good ole farm boys” chase out the mormons for their weird religious beliefs? Who’s misguided? News flash… Utah doesn’t sell liquor on Sundays or holidays. In some counties you can’t even buy beer on Sunday. Yes Utah is weird and you have multiple wives…

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

Did you know that in many places in SEC country, there are even more restrictive alcohol sales than in Utah? Some are even completely “dry” – not just on Sunday.

Also, nice job on the multiple wives jab! I gotta remember that one!

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

The key argument everyone seems to be devaluing is this: Scalley puts guys in the NFL. There is no better recruiting pitch than that. If I’m a recruit and Herm says, “That Utah coach once used a racial slur,” then Scalley’s points to the 6 guys he just had drafted. “You want to see the years before that? Yep, I make mistakes. You know what I also do? I put my starters in the league.” I’m going to bet that is a pretty strong counter for most guys. The fact that Scalley is also a stand up guy is just a bonus on top of that.

13 3

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Pace will you please do us all a favor and stop being a Ute fan.

Take your ignorance and stupidity down the road to Provo I’m begging you.

1 15

User Suspended
        @a2ute

I’m a Ute fan who knows Utah can and should do better. The next move is to step out of the cultural “comfort” and appeal to a broader audience.

I get it, you’re circling the wagons for one of your own- but looking at this thru a national lense, it seems small town.  If MS is kept it will not be a good look from outside of the bubble.

10 3

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

You’d fit RIGHT IN down there in WACistan.  So either quit pretending you’re one of us, or give ’em a chance.  Take a year or two off from Utah and go join the zoobs in their delusions of grandeur, and in hating on all things Utah.

TRUST ME!  You’ll fit in very nicely down there.  You’re all peas in a pod.

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

For those that like to get offended on the behalf of others whom take no offense, seeing MS retained will be heart wrenching and infuriating. How dare you!?!? -Greta Thunberg voice.

15 3

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Your “Utah white bubble” argument is not only offensive it incredibly inaccurate.

By and large Salt Lake City and Utah are far less racist then the south or upper Midwest.

So your Utah stereotype as being lily white is crap. Salt Lake City as a matter of fact has become far more liberal and progressive then it was just 10 years ago.

There are places in Alabama and Mississippi where African Americans just don’t go after dark because of the white supremacy groups. The south as a whole still thinks the war is going on.

Most every college in America deals with some kind of stereotype Utah’s is mild by comparison.

S.CarolinaUte
        Ute Fan
        @s-carolinaute

Talk about offensive….”The South as a whole still thinks the war is going on”  Not the case I have experienced.  

KJU
        Ute Fan
        @kjute

You might want to read a book or two on the origins of white supremacists in the south and the origins of the KKK.

EastCoastUte
      Ute Fan
      @eastcoastute

@pace, when was the last time you went to SLC?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

@Everyone in this thread:

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

While I’m still a bit nervous about what the potential recruiting impact could be, I fully trust the investigators and Utah administrators if they decide Scalley will be retained.  They’re privvy to far more data through this process than we are, and I’m sure they’ll make the right call.

I’ll be glad when the the official decision is announced so we can move on to worrying about whether or not it will even matter this year.  🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Recruiting Impact of Morgan Scalley