Rose NJ Barnes

Viewing 8 reply threads
      8 1

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Our die hard ute fan base will support who ever steps on the field to play qb or any other position. We all love and support the coaching staff and players who work their asses off to bring us a winner.

Our expectations have become high. Maybe too high. In my mind and I’m sure many others i look at this year as our best chance ever to make the CFP. Elite CFP type defense and a returning 6 year senior qb.

We have all put our eggs in the Cam basket. Coaches and fans. He has been our Superman. Torn ACL has been the programs Kriptonite. I hope he can come back soon. Let’s all appreciate what we have and support Rose NJ and Barnes and rest of the staff and team. Go Utes!!

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Honestly, my concern is our inability to develop new QB talent. Maybe we should hire a QB whisperer. If I am not mistaken, Ludwig acts as the QB coach. Could we find a QB coach who can focus exclusively on the QBs and their development? Just a thought.

UtahMan17
        Ute Fan
        @utahman17

It’s hard for almost everyone to find and/or develop QBs. Not a specific Utah problem. Teams like LSU and Florida have had elite defenses and skill players for years but never found a good QB to take them over the top and relied on transfers for the rare times they had a good one. Even Alabama is struggling at QB this year and for the last several years just relied on transfers. If Alabama can’t develop QBs, then you can’t expect us to be some Manning Passing Academy. Teams like Ohio State are the exception.

22Ute22
          Ute Fan
          @utedagoat

Correct, it’s a difficult position to develop, but it still seems strange to not have a dedicated QB coach. The most important position on the field and we don’t have a specific coach just for that.

cj13
          Ute Fan
          @cjohnsen13

Also it there is a ton of recency bias in this mindset. Huntley and Cam was developed. We didn’t succeed with Tuttle, Costelli, Jackson, and we still don’t know with Nate and Rose yet as it’s super early. Looking at how Costelli and Tuttle’s careers panned out it was probably not an ua problem lol. Costelli can’t even getting playing time on Northern Colorado.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Part of development is identifying talent that can be developed. You can’t say Tuttle and Costelli are busts without asking why then were they here in the first place.

Fans like to point to someone like Devin Lloyd as an example of how well the staff is at developing and ignore the busts.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Eh, I think this is a little overblown. The coaches only get 20 hours a week, and they developed Rose. And then Rose got hurt. Johnson was supposed to be the scout team QB this year and be ready for next year. It’s just bad luck.

1 1

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I agree Proud Ute. Whitt knew we had an elite defense. He knew Barnes could fill in for a game or two. He knew the two young qbs are not ready for this crazy good schedule. I think he went all in on Cam. I’m sure he is second guessing himself.

He probably sees potential in NJ and Rose. I think losing them to the portal is also on his mind. It’s not checkers anymore it’s chess.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I think you are laying it on a bit thick tbh. Kryptonite? We are undefeated. I never really felt like we were in danger of losing any of the games we’ve played so far, and we’ve played 3 good teams.

Yes, having Cam would be nice. Yes, it was dumb of the staff to hang all hope of a special season on Cam’s miraculous recovery. Yes, this is still a great team with a chance to be special if Cam comes back (though I’m still a bit doubtful because I don’t know who he’ll throw the ball to).

I think the bigger problem is our RB situation. Rising or not, if Glover goes down we are SOL (assuming JJ is hurt hurt, and not just banged up and resting). Glover isn’t great, but he isn’t terrible either. We have nothing but walk-ons and unproven backs behind him (unless Curry is back to full strength, which I doubt).

LetItRide
        Ute Fan
        @letitride

Agree on the RB situation. Playing defense and special teams as our offense is where we are at to this point of season. If we don’t get our RBs going this Friday and forward it won’t matter who is taking snaps behind center.
        Plodding up the middle for 2 yards is not going to cut it at this point of season and going forward.

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

You didn’t feel like we were in danger of losing Baylor?

Utegator
        Ute Fan
        @utegator

I heard that since Mel Tucker got fired, the team has 30 days to enter the transfer portal. Maybe we could get an RB from them? haha

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

Did you see the piece in the Deseret News yesterday (I think)? Glover mentions that John Randle Jr. may get reps in the Oregon State game. It’s inferred that if JJ doesn’t play, Randle will get some reps. Glover praised his talent and work in the article. We’ll see.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Randle is a future star that could accelerate the process by leapfrogging some more senior players. He’s a one cut and burst RB. Go watch his HS tape, I think you’ll see exciting and college ready game from him.

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

The RB situation is unfortunate…but realistically, not something that could be avoided. If we’ve got JaQuinden Jackson, Micah Bernard, Jaylon Glover and Chris Curry as our top 4 and ALL of them get hurt, yeah it’s going to leave us relying on unproven players. But I think that’s basically true for any program. And luckily we do have a bunch of talented (albeit unproven) young guys that could fill in.

2 1

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Great points!! Great qbs don’t grow on trees. Without JJ we don’t have a power running attack. Big difference between JJs 4 yards and Glovers 2 yards on our three up the middle plays. Also losing Bernard’s ability to be a dependable blocker and outlet for the qb. Perfect storm for a failing offense.

Curry could help if healthy. We are so close but so far away.

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

Nate is the QB right now, Ludwig open up the playbook and let him roll.. see what happens

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Lighten up chinn. Great points on the RB situation but the Cam kriptonite was for a laugh!! Yes we got three wins but two were at home. Winning on the road is much harder.

UtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahrockon

Being part of the Big XII will give Utah more exposure and ultimately more interest in high talent playing at Utah.

1 1

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

I’m not worried about the fans not supporting whoever steps onto the field (QBs 2, 3 or 4). I’m worried because we’ve found out the coaches aren’t.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Rose NJ Barnes