San Jose St

Viewing 9 reply threads

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

I’m ready to look forward now.  I wish it was Pac12 play this week, but we have one stop before we get there.

After two games it’s hard to get a read on SJST.  Against Tulsa they only had 287 yards (53 rushing 234 passing).  Against Portland State they had 642 yards (409 rushing 233 passing).  They had 2 players over 100 yards rushing and one more with 92 yards, that’s impressive to me.

I’m guessing Utah holds them closer to the Tulsa numbers although they will be at home.  I think the game plan on defense will be similar to tds, shut down the run and make them try to beat us in the air.  On offense I think the one two punch of Moss and McCormick are going to have a good day.  It seems that the Spartans are a little soft in the run game (Tulsa had 305 yards rushing, PSU even had over 200).  SJST seems to be a bit better against the pass holding opposing was to about a 50% completion rate.

What at do you guys think?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I wanna see more and more of Moss.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Agreed. A healthy dose of Moss and McCormick, Williams takes care of the ball, and no injuries.

Oh, and it’d be great if the defense can snatch up a few turnovers as well.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think Utah is going to have an explosion of rushing and passing yards. SUU may have a better defense than San Jose. At least effort wise. The Oline is going to be more prepared. Troy Williams has a dynamic weapon in CBB.

Turnovers really destroyed drives against BYU.  So as long as they hold onto the ball it should be a blowout win for Utah.  Tulsa isn’t even the same realm when it comes to Utahs defense.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Tulsa went on to lose to Ohio State by about 70 points the next week.

Im not sure what to think about this one. We are only favored by 13 which is so low it makes you think there is something to it. Vegas knows…Im expecting a surprising dog fight that may be as close as 7 in the 4th quarter

SeattleSpartan
        Ute Fan
        @seattlespartan

48-3. Tulsa kept the OSU offense out of the end zone in the first half.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

When was the last time we had multiple 100+ yd rushers in the same game? I think we will see that this week.

Anonymous
      Inactive

We came into this season expecting to win with Troy William’s arm. After that 11 minute drive featuring Zack Moss, I suspect the emphasis on offense gets flipped to run first and use the QB as a game manager.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Which it should be. I want to see Utah come back to running the ball and use Williams smarter. He has a lot of talent, but I don’t think he can carry us. Our defense and run game can carry us.

Let Williams make plays but don’t rely on him. Use him after we’ve beat the crap out of the opposing defense.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Well if the run/throw threat is 50/50 we will be very tough to defend.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Or, have a majority of run plays. I’d be ok with 60/40 because Troy is so good on the deep ball. We’ve been running about 70 plays a game. BYU plays slow as molasses, so I’d expect us to average out on about 75 plays a game.

If we ran the ball 45-50 times and threw the ball 25-30 times…That would be heaven.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.