Scalley needs to man up and resign

Viewing 12 reply threads
      5 19

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Simply because not leaving will destroy African American recruiting forever. Can you imagine what ammo Az st. coaches now have on Utah – we’ll never win a head to head battle again ( probably never get up to bat).

Do I think Scalley is racist? No, at least from a middle-aged white guy perspective. But do I think many recruits (and parents) might take this incident into account when looking at playing for Utah – hell yes.

Scalley did a good job as coach and recruiter but now, with this information coming out ( which he admit’s he did) he’s an anchor around the neck of the program.

The investigation needs to be quick and wrapped up by the end of the month – at that point, he must resign.

Very concerned this issue connects other coaches. If so, Utah pretty much gets the zoob recruiting footprint to work with…

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

One of my good friends and neighbors is a gentleman that played for USU many years ago. He is black. We have had discussions about the scenario. His feeling is that from everything he has read and heard about the situation, Scalley shouldn’t necessarily be fired. He feels it was done more out of cultural ignorance.

I think Scalley has already manned up by owning what happened. But I don’t expect him to resign – and that’s not because he’s insensitive. This is his dream job, at his dream school, and he’s in line for his next dream job. He will resist resigning until it becomes painfully and abundantly clear that there is literally no other alternative.

We’re not there yet.

3 6

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

This is an opportunity to (1) make a gesture of respectability in this charged atmosphere and (2) open a spot for a high profile coach.

5 2

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

*post created for additional thumbs down opportunities*

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Lol I gave you a thumbs down for this post just to help you out. FWIW, I gave you a thumbs up on the previous one.

11 4

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Man up?? That’s called bowing to the cancel culture that’s so prevalent today.. let’s wait and see what they find.

5 5

tarheelio
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelio

I am an extremely White looking, mixed race human, including Black. I am not personally that upset with the Tweet. But I think he has to resign because this will make it impossible for him to be effective at his job. He really has some bad timing. If this Tweet had surfaced in 2013, he would not face as much blowback and wouldn’t be facing even the possibility of termination.

9 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Wouldn’t accepting his errors, learning from them, growing from them, feeling true remorse from them, and becoming a better man from them be a better way of “manning up” than just leaving? Parlay this into a positive.

2 12

User Suspended
        @a2ute

That all sounds so churchy… but this is reality and college football is a BUSINESS.  Scalley is bad for business, even though I don’t believe he’s racist.  Scalley needs to look beyond his dreams and understand that the most honorable thing he could do for the program he says he cares so much about, is leave gracefully.

It needs to happen or the stigma will be a bridge to far for Utah recruiting….it might already be 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

First time in my whole life anyone ever said anything I said was “churchy.” LOL

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

Cloak yourself in the blanket of generalities Tony!  It feels great! haha

1 1

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Tony, you are 100% correct. The problem is, outside of Utah, we don’t live in that world anymore. You make one mistake and you’re screwed for the rest of your life. And with everything being digital, something from a long time ago, can and will hurt you now and in the future.

7 2

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

Better avoid anything that sounds churchy. Even if it’s just core values for a good society. Things like forgiveness, change, self-improvement best be avoided because they’re taught in a church.

2 9

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Just saying that future African American high school players (and parents) are probably going to want to see a no tolerance for racism, instead of “he made a mistake, please find it in your heart to forgive him”.

Again, it’s just another giant hurdle for Utah to try to jump thru…the implication of keeping him will go far beyond Scalley’s dream career at Utah.

It sucks but he needs to do the right thing. 

4 3

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Again, Pace speaking for an entire race of people . . . it’s fascinating how you know what everyone else wants.

3 1

gUrthBrooks
            Ute Fan
            @hammer

He has the shining.

User Suspended
              @a2ute

yep, I’m talking in generalities. But in generality, the Utes recruiting will suffer mightily.  Yes, some African Americans  recruits will come, but many who would have won’t 

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

@Pace I’m pretty sure when recruits see guys like Julian Blackmon, Terrell Burgess, Marcus Williams, Siaosi Mariner, Raelon Singleton, Nick Ford, etc. defending Coach Scalley’s character and publicly saying he is not a racist and is one of the greatest most loving men they know and are where they are today because of him, I’m pretty sure recruiting isn’t 100% f*cked like you think it’s going to be. Will it take a hit? Yes, and that is unfortunate. But if information continues to come out the way it has been, I don’t think Scalley will be fired, and I don’t think it will be the end of Utah Football and their recruiting.

1 3

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Never said it was 100% f*cked up – you decided to put words in my mouth. What I do think Utah recruiting was average and needs to get better – it won’t if Scalley is kept and you know this.

We can battle bYu for the locals and fill’r up with the Braxton’s and Dallen’s… but it will be a major step back.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Completely disagree. So many options that keep him at Utah doing so much for those that you are so comfortable talking for…

3 3

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Nope!  But YOU need to man up and admit that the only reason why you want guys like Whittingham and Scalley gone is because you’re a zoob, and you think that by firing good Utah coaches, that will help your in your “quest” to beat your big brother on the hill in your “Super Bowl”.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Pace the fact of the matter is you have no idea how it will affect recruiting. You’re just speculating and playing the doomsday card for your own internet troll enjoyment.

Utah’s mantra has always been family so the first time someone in the family screws up you want to kick him to the curb.

The black community wants to end the ignorance of racism. They want to educate, they want to promote understanding and healing.

White privilege and white ignorance is a real thing and I believe this is what Scalley is guilty of. He’s not racist. He just got to comfortable in his bubble on the hill.

You’ll see Scalley in some sort of sensitivity classes or community outreach programs to help him learn and understand the oppression the black community still faces today in 2020. He will be a better man/human being for it.

Just firing will make him depressed bitter and angry. Which fixes nothing

This is a teachable moment for everyone involved which makes the world a better place

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

Notice how this troll gets animated only when he sees an opportunity to criticize our Utes. (usually recruiting is his go to). He gets especially excited when trying to connect that criticism to the state of Utah and the predominant religion. We get it guy: you don’t like our Utes, the state, or Mormons. Please express a different opinion.

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Why would Pace express an opinion other than the ones Pace holds?

Dallas
          Ute Fan
          @dallas

Different, meaning new. I would hope he has something new to say. A new opinion perhaps. As is, his posts hit the same tired themes again and again.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Pace should be allowed to express whatever themes Pace desires regardless of how tired those themes might be.

Dallas
              Ute Fan
              @dallas

Of course he’s allowed, silly. And the rest of us are allowed to call out his posts for what they are: tired, boring, negative, trolley.

dystopiamembrane
                Ute Fan
                @dystopiamembrane

I am silly and a joke. Keep ’em coming, son.

1 1

Guy Chad
      Ute Fan
      @guychad

Long time lurker, but decided I’d chime in.  Don’t typically agree with the things that Pace posts, but in this case I do.  Scalley is a great coach, but I do believe that recruiting will be negatively affected by this.  We’ve been making strides the last few years in terms of closing the gap with some of the better recruiting schools in the conference, but I think this will hurt us.  I don’t think Scalley is a racist, we’ve heard from lots of players that help to support this, but I also don’t think he’ll get the benefit of the doubt from recruits (and their parents) who have had limited interaction with him.  We’re not trying to convince former players to come back and play for him, we’re trying to convince kids that maybe don’t know a lot about Utah to come here, and this would be one more hurdle.

Whitt knows the D and has a coaching tree of talented people that also know the D.  In my opinion the loss of Scalley as a coach hurts the program less than the negative recruiting that comes with him staying.  On a personal level, it sucks for Morgan, but there are consequences for mistakes (albeit further down the road in this case).  He’s too talented not to get a job elsewhere, but don’t see it at Utah.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Scalley needs to man up and resign