sigh … this might end up being a very brutal week (might need a new OC)

Viewing 10 reply threads

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

thank goodness we have basketball against Kentucky tomorrow 🙁

3 5

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I have liked the IDEA of Troy Taylor as OC much more than the actual production of the ohfense.

Xanthis
        Ute Fan
        @xanthis

Yeah those string of 40+ point games and winning the south with a servicable offense sure was awful. 

3 1

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

OK, that was good but not the first half vs TDS nor at anytime in the Pac-12 Championship game.  My point is he’s not been the pancea that we hoped he was or hope he can become.  I really am hopeful he’s still learning and will get it ironed out, so I really do prefer that he stay.

Xanthis
            Ute Fan
            @xanthis

The TDS Game – a game that TDS had circled since spring ball. Utah was going to play in their first ever PAC 12 championship game the next week. Two teams with completely different mindsets and we won the game.

PAC 12 CG – Washington and Utah have the best defenses in the conference and arguably top 10 defenses in the country. Neither team scored a TD and we were without our QB 1 and RB 1. 

This season we saw our offense go from pretty bad to pretty great. That doesn’t happen very often. TT brought in new formations Utah hadn’t ever run and they worked. He then retooled the offense for Shelley who looked really good for a RS freshmen who wasn’t getting many reps in practice all year. 

After seeing the OC carousel for the past decade it was pretty great to see a little more innovation, even if took a few games to get TT to stop calling 40 pass plays. 

PlainsUte
              Ute Fan
              @plainsute

The only other teams Washington held under 10 pts were North Dakota, TDS and Utah (twice).

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Did TT ever stop with the bombs?  Seemed like in the CCG he again tried to attack them over the top. He starts to go to underneath game is where most of the offense happened. Thinking of that Mariner tip still haunts me. 

stonguse
      Ute Fan
      @stonguse

I have a hard time believing that it would be a better job than OC at Utah. Both in terms of Prestige and money.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

He probably gets paid more here as OC than he does as HC there. But, he gets HC experience and gets to go home.

4 4

homer
        Ute Fan
        @homer

Tuttle transfers, JD commits to ASU. Maybe TT sees something we don’t?

I wonder if he’s frustrated because he isn’t able to implement his offensive vision at Utah?

Utes are a power run first offense. We have more success recruiting players best fitting that scheme.

If TT bolts, I wonder how it affects

1 offensive recruiting, particularly recievers? 

2 the slim possibility Moss stays?

Finally, I understand T Martin is available. 🙄

17 2

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

OMG… This division winning season isn’t even over yet, and we’re already back to the “Whitt doesn’t give his OCs any room to breathe” nonsense. Just STOP IT FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT NOW!

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Do…do you watch the same games I do? How many times was Taylor overly pass-happy? Let’s be real here.

RUUTES
          Ute Fan
          @ruutes

But it’s Sacramento…I mean…Sacramento…does anyone really need to return home to that?

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

175k in California is like a massive pay cut. Talk of taxing your texts in California I hear to. 

KelVarnsen
        Ute Fan
        @kelvarnsen

Sac St head coach = $175,000

Utah OC = $500,000

TT is not leaving for that job. 

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I think this is a ploy to get more money.n

Hoo Ray Who?
        Ute Fan
        @mattybumbo

I agree. If he wanted to be a HC in FCS he would have stayed put and not taken the Utah gig. He knows that maiking his mark here will just mean a bigger and higher profile HC gig for him. 

This is a big non-story. 

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Whitt and Harlan better come up with a way to make him stay if he is in fact thinking of leaving. Going through another OC, especially right after winning the division, would be a crippling blow.

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

Yup, we have everything lined up to win the Pac-12 next season. The last thing we need is to lose our OC is coming into his own. I really, really hope he doesn’t take it.

Virginia Ute
      Ute Fan
      @virginiaute

If I was him I would stay, do good work, and wait for an FBS HC job to come up rather than an FCS job at a crappy FCS program….but I guess that is just my own bias shining through.  

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Losing Daniels feels like small potatoes all of the sudden. If we lose Troy Taylor right now, I’m going to be pretty upset. Things are lining up so well to win the PAC next season, and this would completely derail it.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Not necessarily. It would be a setback, but we still have players. I’d like to see less emphasis on RPO and more on power. 

College football 🏈 is cyclical. RPO will again give way to some type of pro style scheme. We need young and hungry with playing experience. What’s Max Browne doing these days?  QB coach under Harding?

Just a thought. 

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

It’s not so much Taylor’s style/system that I would miss. I’ve long thought that Utah should be a power-run/play-action a la Stanford type offense.

It’s the consistency that I will miss. I know that Taylor will eventually move on and we’ll have to transition again, but the players finally know this offense and have proven that they can execute it (when healthy). With how favorable things are for us next season, I would really hate for that transition to happen now rather than a year from now.

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

I think he’s an idiot if he takes that job.  You have the chance to do something really special here next year.  Stick around and I think his resume is really impressive if they can repeat next year and maybe make a Rose bowl.  There would be some better jobs opening up, maybe Mtn West schools or a bigger O.C job. Fresno St, San Diego St. 

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

While we can all sit here and say he’d be stupid for doing it, the prevailing wisdom that you always take a HC job when it is offered, because who knows if/when you’ll get another chance.

I hope we keep Taylor (simply for the consistency, if nothing else), but I wouldn’t begrudge him in the least for taking the job.

Anonymous
        Inactive

The reality is that a good AD and HC constantly have an updated short list. You never know when you have to replace a coach. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

He would be stupid for doing it. It is a giant step down. It would be like going back to High School HC job. Not much better than that. 

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Make Harding OC.

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

Again?

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Bring back Brian Johnson and have him Co-OC with Jim Harding.  Go Team Hard-Johnson!

RUUTES
          Ute Fan
          @ruutes

I’m really wondering if I should laugh at that or not…

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

The joke or the concept of bringing BJ back?

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football sigh … this might end up being a very brutal week (might need a new OC)