Spring Camp – 1st scrimmage

Viewing 3 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

A little bit of news out of Spring Camp. Sounds like Micah Bernard is our RB1. I know there has been a lot of great things said about Bernard but it surprises me that Pledger isn’t living up to the hype. Nice to hear that Bishop is doing well and filling the void Ritchie left.

Anyone with inside info that you can share from Spring Camp? OnlyU?

First Scrimmage

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

If you listen to the full interview, Kyle explains that Micah’s biggest leg up is that he knows the offense so he has zero hesitation.  He said Micah’s stepped it up as well.  It sounds like Pledger and Curry are still learning the offense and that’s giving Micah a bit of a leg up. 

I’ve read little things here and there that make me think all 3 are playing great.  Seems like I’ve read a little more about Curry than Pledger though. 

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

Oh, and he said Micah added like 10 lbs or thereabouts, and he’s now a better size for P12 football.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Whitt sounded like both OL and DL are really good. Usually a given for DL but great to hear the OL getting some love from Whitt. I was surprised to hear that Nick Ford has moved to center but that must mean we’ve got solid options at tackle?? I know Jaren Kump has emerged as a star at tackle but not sure who else?

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

The OL was much better with Ford at center last year. He belongs there for sure

UtahMan17
            Ute Fan
            @utahman17

I’ll believe our OL being much improved when I see it. But the word from camp is that Bamidele has taken a big step forward and is a very real threat to take Simi Moala’s spot opposite Kump.

2 1

Hellhound152
              Ute Fan
              @hellhound152

Bwhahaha, then he can line up at TE in goal line situations or any of the other nonsense people have spouted the last two years.  That guy is first off the bus and last off the bench.  Didn’t pan, sometimes that happens to Juco’s.

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

WR depth is a problem. Enis is reliable, but not a big YAC guy. Covey is great at YAC, but slot guy can’t be you’re go-to WR. Vele looks good (which is something we’ve said for years) but can’t count on him till we see it in a game under the lights. Plan is to add a transfer WR this summer. Coaches have been in contact with Theo Howard. We need him for depth and experience.

Gilly Boy
        Ute Fan
        @gillyboy

Isn’t Jalen Dixon back? That should help

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Question. How similar is CP3 to Jaylon Johnson?

UtahMan17
            Ute Fan
            @utahman17

Just my opinion- They’re both very smart, physical, and fast with good enough ball skills, and are very competitive, confident, and driven to become great. They also both are a tad bit stiff for a high level CB. The main difference is length…JJ had fantastic length and excelled at man covg on the outside from day, CPIII is shorter and has shorter arms which limits him some – hence Utah playing more zone last year and CP being viewed as a nickel potentially in college and definitely if he makes it to the NFL. Clark also has proven to be more physical as a tackler than JJ, which may just be a product of JJ’s shoulder injuries but regardless is an area where Clark projects as better. 

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Great comparison, thanks so much!

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

One is 5’10” (so 5’9″ in real life) and one is was a full grown man at 6’3/4″.  Never going to change.

Jake
              Ute Fan
              @jutahfootball

Jaylon measured about 5’11/6’0 at the NFL combine, not 6’3/4

Hellhound152
                Ute Fan
                @hellhound152

The point remains.  Stand the two of them next to each other.  They are completely different builds and sizes.  It is beyond me the constant need to compare the two, it is like compairing Matt Asiata and John White to each other because they played the same position.  Clark doesn’t have to chase Jaylon’s ghost to be great.

Jake
                  Ute Fan
                  @jutahfootball

Agreed, Johnson was a different breed, extremely physically and mentally gifted, two different types of corners, just pointing out that Johnson was actually smaller than most assume, because he plays bigger than he is.

1 2

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I still think Pledger will overtake Bernard for #1 by kickoff in our season opener, and Curry will slide into #2.  Bernard will hold off Parks for the #3 spot, and then battle him for that 3rd spot in 2022.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

I love this stable of runningbacks – but I’m betting on Micah Bernard to get most of the carries. He earned the backup role in 2020 over Brumfield and Wilmore. Now that he’s added some weight and more reps I think he’ll be number one.

Regardless, I think we’re in for another terrific season running the ball.

Jake
        Ute Fan
        @jutahfootball

I bet I can guess your reasoning for your statement, recruiting stars. Just like how you thought we were gonna bench ty jordan for jordan wilmore despite Ty getting almost 3 times the amount of yards per carry than wilmore, but Wilmore has 4* out of high school so he still must be better. You think that just because Curry and Pledger are 4* that they’ll be ahead of micah because he’s a 3*. Whit said that Micah is the clear RB1, and that’s saying a lot at the moment. Yes, Curry and Pledger don’t have as much time in the system, but if Micah is a clearly better runner, that won’t change very much.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Spring Camp – 1st scrimmage

• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Jake.