Still one miracle scenario to make the conference championship game

Viewing 5 reply threads

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Scenario: Oregon St defeats Oregon, Utah beast Colorado, Washington beats Washington St and UCLA beats Cal

Tied Teams: Oregon, Utah and Washington all finish 7-2, tied for the second spot

Tiebreaker 1 (H2H): Skipped because they haven’t all played one another

Tiebreaker 2 (Record against common opponents): They’re all 5-1 against common opponents (Wash St, Stanford, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon St, UCLA)
      so it goes to the next tiebreaker

Tiebreaker 3 (Record against highest rated common opponent):
      Both Oregon St and UCLA have 5 wins, all tied teams are 1-1 against 5-3 teams, then undefeated against lower rated common opponents. So next tiebreaker

Note that if UCLA were to lose to Cal, Oregon St would be the sole next highest-rated opponent so Oregon is eliminated. Starts over with a head-to-head tiebreaker between Washington and Utah.

Because Washington and Utah didn’t play, H2H tiebreaker doesn’t apply and it defaults to record against the next highest rated common opponent… which at this point would be Oregon, who Washington beat and Utah lost to. Washington gets the spot.

Tiebreaker 4 (Strength of Conference Schedule): (continuing on from the scenario where UCLA beats Cal)
      The combined conference record of
      Utah’s conference opponents would be 38-43
      Oregon’s conference opponents would be 36-45 (or 37-44 depending on the Arizona/ASU outcome)
      Washington’s conference opponents would be 32-49

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

If this happens….I’m coming back here and giving you a thumbs up. The highest honor I can give on here

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Don’t get my hopes up, krindor. All those teams are likely to win.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Doesn’t matter. After what we saw tonight, the Utes would get dismantled by USC. With Rising playing so inconsistently, I don’t see any realistic scenario where Utah could keep up with the Trojans.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Doesn’t matter. I’d still like to make it to the CCG. The scenario above will be favored on paper at least.

krindor
          Ute Fan
          @krindor

I think most of it would be favored… but not Oregon St to knock off Oregon. That’s the part that makes it a pretty big longshot

SalUteopia
            Ute Fan
            @saluteopia

Oregon St playing a hobbled UO at home has a pretty good chance.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

All of those will happen besides Oregon losing. Id give that maybe a 25% chance

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

I think OSU has more than a decent chance to beat a hobbled UO at home. My money is on Cal upsetting UCLA.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

I could see UCLA having a letdown game after their crushing loss today, but cal is so bad man. 

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

I think there’s a high likelihood the beavers take out the ducks . They are pretty banged up

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Coming back here to give you the like! I can’t believe it!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Still one miracle scenario to make the conference championship game