The refs

Viewing 9 reply threads

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

I’m going to start with, in no way shape or form do I believe the refs cost utah this game. But there were some very strange things last night.

The only offensive holding call comes at a HUGE pivotal moment. And it was a soft call too.

No replay on the Boyd fumble? That might not have been a catch.

But replays all night on other things that were so inconsequential.

Both our targeting calls were very questionable. Yet Huntley slides and their linebacker leads with his helmet and dives on him.

I know there were others I can’t think of them right now.

It felt like too me the conference wanted to ensure Washington because they are our playoff hopefuls.

And again I don’t believe this reffing cost is the game. That falls squarely on Whitt, Taylor, and Huntley

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

That holding call on Utah was a no call compared to what went on all game. Watching Washington hold on the edge runs was painful. 

Boyd fumbled it and I am thankful for the no review. 

The Huntley slide hit was one of those ones we have seen called in the past. 

Covey tackling by the helmet(Facemask). 

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

I don’t think Boyd fully possessed it. But yes ut was close. Why not review it? There were other things reviewed that were far less questionable.

Yes the table by the helmet was bad. Our D live got spun around a few times by their line holding with no calls

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Targeting call on the Barton INT was horse s**t. Wasn’t even roughing.  Targeting is killing the game.  Especially on a RB between the tackles. The game is getting soft.  

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I couldn’t hear was it called as a roughing and then reviewed as a target?

Whitt was asked about the targeting and he avoided answering it but said he was glad he played in a different era. 

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

It was called roughing with targeting. Then reviewed.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

That was close I just think back to all of the times it hasn’t been called when our QB gets lit up. I was already upset about the facemask though. Still am that was such a dirty play. 

WhiteyFisk
              Ute Fan
              @whiteyfisk

Our players were already in the act of diving towards Browning while his arm was still coming forward. IMO the ref shouldn’t even consider throwing the flag if it’s even close to a bang-bang play. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I can’t believe the rule allows for an ejection without video “confirmation”. If the play “stands as called” meaning they aren’t sure if they got it right or not, then the ejection should be reversed at the very least.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Confirmed should be the call no matter what. 

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

I believe the tackle that you’re referring to was actually a horsecollar, not a facemask.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Grabbed the back of the helmet Covey rolled out of it and then the Dlinemans hand went to the top of the pads but there was no take down with the pads. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

The rules are why I have a really hard time getting into football.

The hit on the QB is 15 yards and an ejection. But Covey gets his head knocked off with a shoulder pad and it’s nothing? Under the current rules, that’s what they’re saying. But which of those plays was more dangerous to the player?

Sorry but football as an institution is deeply flawed, massively broken, and will continue to lose players and fans until they fix it. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I don’t know if I ever want to attend a game again. I had fun but the reviews are just the worst. The amount of money you pay to sit around and watch refs stare at a monitor. 

I have said this already but I like international Rugby. They have the video review for tries and dangerous plays. They even review previous plays where potentially a concussion took place. You eliminate those dumbass ass reviews every other series or cut it down we all go home at 11. 

homer
          Ute Fan
          @homer

There no longer is any game flow.

WhiteyFisk
          Ute Fan
          @whiteyfisk

I’ve been watching a lot of 80s and 90s college football on Youtube recently, and the game has so much more flow. Things feel much more snappy. 

Last night, at least watching on TV, there are so many times the refs are hestitant to make a signal, to make an immediate call on the field. They’re so unsure of themselves, they can’t make calls in confidence. They’ve come to rely on review for everything. Even when they don’t review, they have to huddle and talk about it for 5 minutes. 

Where did the player step out of bounds? Review. 

Where did the ball go out of bounds? Review. 

What should the time on the clock be? Review. 

Is it a first down? Review. 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I agree with you.There was a lot wrong with Utah’s play last night, but the refs were doing them no favors. It certainly felt like UW was supposed to win that game. 

Micah Montgomery
      Ute Fan
      @bootywrecker

It’s funny how the non call in the Auburn game blatantly worse than anything yesterday but swept under the carpet lol if you’re gonna make it a rule at least be consistent with enforcement

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

That was as clear as hell a target. Extends Washingtons drive changes the whole outcome potentially. 

Micah Montgomery
          Ute Fan
          @bootywrecker

I understand that. I just wish they were consistent. I mean if you’re gonna call it call it every time even when there’s a minute left in the game and it changes the outcome potentially

Grimmetal
      Ute Fan
      @grimmetal

I thought I’d heard Whitt say last night that the refs told him on several plays that they had already been confirmed in the booth so there was no point in challenging.

Is that common practice? Considering how long reply reviews take, how are they able to review these things so quickly. A lot isn’t adding up there.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

So basically need commercials for ESPN?

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

I texted to my brother during the game that it seems like the refs wanted to make sure they kept Washington’s feeble playoff hopes alive. Every thing borderline went Washington’s way. So many pivotal plays that made a difference. Don’t think it cost them the victory but game(catch the ball!) would have been much more entertaining/close without the calls. And I don’t think highly of PAC 12/10 refs or Larry Scott based on prior history so yeah I’m probably biased.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.