Thoughts on last night

Viewing 6 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

1. We have a QB…and another QB and more QB’s coming. Brewers experience looking guys off and reading defenses is next level. He’s very mobile too. He doesn’t get flustered and he’s smart. We’re in very good hands with him

2. We are loaded with quality weapons on offense…Kincaid, Kuithe, Howard, Enis, Covey, Dixon, Bernard, Thomas, Pledger, etc. Can’t focus on one guy because Brewer will find the open guy. Load the box to stop the run and Brewer will make you pay. Drop 8 and Thomas will run some guys over. Bernard on the swing…jet sweeps to Covey, Kuithe, Dixon…wow. We’re gonna score a ton.

3. LB’s are outstanding behind a stout middle. Lloyd dropped into coverage a ton…we didn’t send backers much which will help a lot next week. LB’s are gonna be a problem and one of those guys is gonna make life hell for Hall next week as a spy.

4. Pretty impressed with Davis and McKinney running the lanes…missed some tackles with bad angles but great reads and decision making. My biggest concern was the 2nd safety and I feel much better there.

5. Wasn’t impressed with Malone in the Nickel. Thought he was out of position a lot and got beat some. Phillips and JT played well on the outside but we had some coverage lapses last night. I believe it was more of a communication issue though and should be fixed this week.

6. O-line was not great but fine. Didn’t get the push early but 2 of our top guys (probably 2 of our top 3) we’re down last night. Kump is 95% for next week and I’d put Laumea at 75%.
      They were fine overall. TE’s were really average in blocking last night but they’re very capable so I expect a big improvement this week.

I’m not nervous for next week. Haven’t seen TDS play yet but I don’t ever buy into their hype machine. They aren’t close to as athletic as we are, don’t recruit at a high level, lost a ton of experience and coaching and the adjustments we’ll make will be substantial. We’ll make it 10 in a row.

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

As always great analysis

Cesar Chavez
        Ute Fan
        @le-cockgrande

how are you liking that pearl neckless Onlyu gifted you?

ALUF
          Ute Fan
          @dbgii77

How you gonna like that 10th L we hand your ass on the 11th

Crazyforu
          Ute Fan
          @crazyforu

lol, what? OnlyU litterally has the best content on here. I don’t know who the hell he is, he throws out some fantastic knowledge. Not sure who he is buying pearl necklaces for, he knows his stuff though.

Utebeam
            Ute Fan
            @utebeam

@Crazyforu, I think @dbgii77 is referring to the troll, Cesar Chavez. He’s been feeding this board random sh!t for quite some time. I believe he’s our token BYU troll. 

Crazyforu
              Ute Fan
              @crazyforu

@Utebeam, yep that is what I thought, my message was just mis-ordered. The troll is where my thoughts were directed. Thanks!

UtahUtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahutesrock

I’d agree with most of what you saw. You’re probably more knowledgeable than am I. But I wanted to ask anyways, I thought we looked pretty horrible on sweeps last night. It sounded like Weber game planned for those but if you agree with me on the poor success with sweeps, what was the reason? Poor blocking, bad ball placement from qb to runner or just a case of Weber being dialed in?  

Also I expect mistakes in game one but man those two end zone drops, what was up with that?

Overall excited for this team. I love Brewer and I know it was just a few plays but Rising came in and looked very comfortable! I felt like little (if any drop off) which makes me very excited because chances are Brewer misses sometime this year given our history. 

RBs we’re good. Bernard has great hands! TT looked a beast. I am wondering if we’ll see anybody who can dance like Jordan and Moss. I know I’m spoiled they were greats but I am hopeful that somebody shows some of that. TT just looks like the kind of guy that prefers to run through defenders. 

It was awesome to be at RES! Love my Utes! Let’s get 10!

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Drops are drops man… I think the only thing you can do about that is forget about it and move on. These guys know how to catch the football, they just didn’t. Chalk it up to nerves in the first game in front of fans in a long time… and just move on. Hopefully it gets better.

Heike
      Ute Fan
      @heike

Thank you for contributing to this site. You make the difference on utehub.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

As always, great analysis.  For me the only issues I saw with the defense was the pass coverage underneath on screens, flats and slants and then QB contain.  We need to clean that up before we face BYU and Jaren Hall.  I thought our d-line, linebacking and corener play was really good for a first game.  Phillips III and Lloyd are high NFL draft picks and it showed.  

Offense overall was pretty good.  O-line play could be improved but it was a far cry from what I saw early last season and we were shorthanded with two regular starters not playing.  Brewer just made me feel comfortable and I have not had that feeling with our starting QB since Brian Johnson.  He just checks all of the boxes for me.  If you take away his pick that was basically a punt and then factor in two dropped touchdowns on perfect throws he pretty much had a perfect game.  His field vision and ability to check off was really impressive.  Our TEs are solid and maybe too deep if that can actually be a negative!  RB will take care of itself and I think Thomas will emerge as our every down back with Micah being a great 3rd down option as a receiving back.  Also, not worried about WR at all.

Special teams were a bit ragged but I expect that to be cleaned up by next Saturday.  I would like to see us kick the damn ball out of the end zone on kickoffs, especially at high altitude venues.  Covey looked good on returns as usual.   I would give us a solid B to B+ overall but I am actually happy there is room to improve before we play the Cougs.  I see us beating them by 10-13 points but in a fairly competetive game.

Wes
        Ute Fan
        @utahmanw

The thing I like about Brewer was that he would actually step up in the pocket to make a throw rather than just run when he felt the pressure from the corner.

MauchDawgUte
          Ute Fan
          @mauchdawgute

This…I noticed several times how well he stepped up into the pocket. Also…so nice to see him go through progressions.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Bottom line: The Utes are loaded. We’ll see challenges, but, my goodness they are loaded.

Ben
      Ute Fan
      @argentino15

Any idea why Maile got the start over others like Bills or Maea?

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts on last night