Transfer Portal Needs

Viewing 4 reply threads

Zigziggler
      Ute Fan
      @zigziggler

There seems to have been a lot of discussion about the current needs of the Utes after practices. OnlyU has provided great insight as well, however what are YOUR thoughts on the needs of the team, and who in the portal are realistic options? Also dieing to hear who this smaller than a TE, and who hasn’t been mentioned mystery man is.

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Field stretching WR – would love Bridges as long as character issues sorted out. I’m all about second chances. That or a legit pure route runner ar WR – would complement Cam’s anticipation/accuracy. 

Zigziggler
        Ute Fan
        @zigziggler

If not Bridges, any other names you care to mention?

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

A good long ball WR is of course a good get. However, the recent Dnews article about Utah defense points out a great need noting the 5 very good QBs Utah will face in the last 6 games. In that stretch we will be able to use every minute of great edge contain and QB pressure. I think we are currently very well prepared, but those last 6 games could make use of as many QB control defenders as we can find rotating even more than strategy Whitt developed long ago.

3 1

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

We have to be able to get pressure without blitzing, we couldn’t do that last season.

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

I think we need a QB2 from the portal.

I don’t think either Rose or Johnson have demonstrated they are ready to be QB1, and if either Cam isn’t ready or goes down to injury again, our season could get ugly quick.

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Way easier said than done. First you have to get a guy that’s not broken (see Bentley & Brewer). Then you have to bring the guy up to speed in 1 fall camp. Risk of failure > success and you take much needed development time from Rose & Johnson. I hope we don’t try to bring in a transfer to be QB2.

//r00t4Utes
          Ute Fan
          @r00t4utes

Agreed. Besides what you mentioned, there’s the risk and reward component. First how good of a QB can you bring in when they know Cam is the starter, how much better (if any) are they then Nate Johnson or Brandon Rose? How many years left does this QB have left? Which factors in this last point. Are you willing to lose 1 or both of Nate and Brandon because that will happen if you bring in soothe QB.

If Cam goes down, IMO, there isn’t a xfer QB that’s going to save the season, might as well develop one of the QBs on the roster.

Roy Rangum
            Ute Fan
            @royrangum

Excellent points. I would love to be wrong on this (and maybe I am), but at the end of the day – if neither Rose or Johnson are capable of ever being QB1, then I think that you have to take those risks. The more and more I hear about their development (or the lack thereof), the more concerned I am they won’t ever be QB1.

However, as an alternative, perhaps it’s not the players and we just need to get our act together and hire a dedicated Quarterback coach that can help these guys develop. But the timeline for that is long, and as far as addressing needs for this season, having a true QB2 could be a real asset.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

I don’t know the need. I was thinking, how much did we know about Rising before he took over for Brewer? The buzz wasn’t that strong and we had no idea at all that a two or three time conference champion was walking thru the door. If Rising is not on the field, we do have two chances to find the next guy. At this point, it may be asking too much to have two QBs sure to be competitive in the biggest Pac games. Anyone know if Washington, Oregon, USC, or Oregon State have better QB2s? But if we find one I am sure we make a run at them.

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

Bryson Barnes should get a chance in Fall camp to beat out Rose and Johnson. Probably a better choice than any we can get in the transfer portal.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Transfer Portal Needs