Transfer Portal (updated)

Viewing 4 reply threads

Tyler Henry
      Ute Fan
      @recruits-utes

What other transfers do you guys think we’ll land?
      My predictions/CB’s:
      Trejan Bridges (eventually)
      Shane Hooks
      Harrison Taggert
      Seydou Traore
      One or two more defensive players (hopefully one more CB.)

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Seems to me we’re good at CB….Better served addressing other positions of need like WR.

Tyler Henry
        Ute Fan
        @recruits-utes

I’d have to disagree with you regarding the CB position. Sure we got some young talent, but none of them are going to be a day one starter like Clark was in my mind. Other than Battle, I feel like we don’t have another day one guy.

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

We have multiple starter-quality corners, so we wouldn’t be relying upon the incoming freshmen, although they do enter the program highly regarded….Plenty of experience back there already & Battle just adds to that experience.

CB isn’t a position of need IMO worthy of taking up another scholarship….Additional scholarships need to be reserved for a position like WR….In fact, I’d use every remaining scholarship for that position alone….That’s the glaring weakness on our team.

cj13
            Ute Fan
            @cjohnsen13

We have 4 with a lot of experience in Battle, Vaughn, Broughton, and Marks. Will also be adding 4 star freshman Blocker and Snowden. Our CBs are looking great

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I’m with D T – we do not need another CB.  We have 4 guys with experience and Vaki can play nickel if there are injuries.  Two of our best recruits are CBs.  They need to get on the field and learn how to play D1 football.  Maybe they aren’t like Phiilps or JJ and won’t be stars as a Freshman.  However, they are our future.  I am happy with what we have at corner.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Totally agree. CB is one position where we are pretty well stacked. Don’t want to overcrowd things and make the star freshmen think there is no chance they’ll get to play. We’ve got 4 guys that are good enough to start right now, and 2 great freshmen. Not worried at all there.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Tyler Harrell and/or Jason Robinson would make our offense a nightmare for opposing teams. Both are vertical threat WR that we need to take the top off defenses. Harrell runs a sub 4.2 40.

Tyler Henry
        Ute Fan
        @recruits-utes

Tyler Harrell just committed to Miami (the wrong U,) and I haven’t heard much on Jason Robinson. I love the thought of adding more skill to our offense, though.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

I missed that, boo!

3 1

Tednab
            Ute Fan
            @tednab

Another WR .. and I am not sold on our back up QB situation yet

ProudUte
              Ute Fan
              @proudute

Tednab, I am not sold on our backup QB either.  However, we have some young talent that need a chance to develop.  I would not add another guy to the QB room at this point for two reasons.  

1. There isn’t anybody out there better than what we have.

2. It’s too late IMO, to bring in someone that would mesh with this team.

In a perfect world, Cam will play this entire season and a backup will gain experience and emerge as our starter in 2024.  Is Rose or Johnson ready?  Probably not.  But, at some time they need to get on the field and develop.  Maybe, just maybe one of these guys will be better than Cam. (I am not predicting this, just saying …)

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I think there are two very realistic possibilities at WR. Trejan Bridges. I’m not sold on him even if he’s cleared of charges. The things he was accused of are pretty heinous, and if he skates on a technicality… Well, I’m not hot on him, although he’s a spectacular player.

The next one we have a real shot with, it seems, is Shane “Hollywood” Hooks, who played for Deion at Jackson State. He’s been tweeting about Utah a lot, and that always seems like a good sign from any of the prospects.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

This old guy’s opinion is – we are good on defense.  However, if there is a stud out there – we should always take a look.  We just got a safety which is insurance in case Ritchie can’t go this season.  Otherwise, we are very solid on D IMO.

The offense is another story.  We are good at RB (for 2023) and Oline.  I would not mess with the QB room – as I already posted on this thread.  That leaves receivers.  We need that “guy” who can stretch the defense.  I would consider a young 18-19 year old RB for the future.  Three of our top four RBs may be gone next year.

In the end – if there is a stud out there – we should always take a look.  I am sure that Whitt and the staff are looking at the portal every day.  But, it is getting late in the game and I don’t think the portal is open to any new players right now.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

We’re 100% solid at RB beyond this year….We seemingly got 100 high-end RBs in our last class & JG’s only a true sophomore….I don’t understand the worry there.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

Not worried at all about the 2023 season.  If JJ decides to leave with Curry and Berhard, we will lack depth and experience in 2024.  Glover should be back in 2024.  I hope he has enough PT to gain some good experience this season.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I think we are covered position by position but I am thinking about the QBs in the league. DL that demand a double team is key to speeding up these QBs. DE that can rush and contain is key. Good schemes for handing off contain to a LB making edge control unpredictable is key. I think we are set up for this, I hope we are good throughout all the players we will rotate through. My concern is we have recently been solid on D but this is the first piece to break down. I prefer our man to man D but it does tend to get the secondary to turn their backs to the QB a bit more than zone. I also feel other teams will attack us with extending plays and have the QBs to give it a good try. I see more reason to fear the other Pac offenses then the other defenses. Big games will turn for us when getting out of drives on D by controlling opposing QBs, I think. Rinse and repeat, over and over. Any portal guy that helps this is good. On offense, we can have a problem if Cam is not on the field but all the contenders appear to have the same issue.

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

QB depth is my biggest concern with this years team and I agree with your assessment Proud. If Cam has to use his legs like last year, he ain’t making it the full season .. TT really screwed us last year.. hind sight probably should have dealt with him earlier than later , however coaching staff handled it right and should be commended on their empathy and patience with him.. TT also opened the door for JJ ; which I am expecting to have a break out year.. Top to bottom this years team should do some serious damage .. The pieces are there, hopefully the chemistry is as well .. I am still hoping to see our other QBs take that next step. Spring ball left me feeling very uneasy about our back up situation . If anyone can turn that around it should be Ludwig.. these are minor complaints , fix them and it separate us to being a very good team to title contenders imo

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Transfer Portal (updated)