UND 101

Viewing 13 reply threads

geaux-sioux
      Ute Fan
      @geaux-sioux

Hi, UND alum here. I’ve checked out this site a couple times and have noticed a little miss information floating around. I understand that our team is a bit of a mystery to you guys just as your team is to us UND fans. We had a Ute fan that was kind enough to give us the run down on your team so I figured I’d return the favor.

Offense:

QB: Starter – Sr. Keaton Studsrud (Studs-RUDE) 6’1″ 195 – Keaton is an accurate passer with an ok arm who really takes care of the ball tot the tune of only 5 ints in the last 2 seasons. He is also a very good runner, however his slight build makes each scramble and designed run a huge risk. This may be the first year he’s played where we have a legit backup so they may let him loose a bit more in the run game. His weakness tends to be that he doesn’t progress through his reads and will stare down a WR from the snap to the throw.

Backup – Jr. Andrew Zimmerman 6’2″ 195 – A transfer from EWU so you know he can throw. Haven’t seen him in true game action but even just from the spring he was obviously better than the other backups and can actually push Keaton.

RB: Jr. John Santiago 5’9″ 185 – John has an interesting story. Due to his size he was recruited as a WR. During fall camp of his true fr season the RB group was decimated by injuries so the coaches switched him back to his hs position and the rest is history. He ran for 1513 yard on 223 attempts 6.5 avg and 16 TDs as a true fr. Last season he wasn’t forced to be the bell cow as much and still had 983 yards on 183 carries 5.4 avg and 7 TDs. He is blazing fast and has a stiff arm that you would not believe, given his size. He’s also an All American level KR. You will enjoy watching him play.

Jr. Brady Olivera 5’10” 225lbs – The Manitoba Moose runs like somebody duct taped a Labat Blue to the goal post. He has unsightly running form which makes him look slower than he is. Our most effective play on offense, due to the hyper focus of opposing teams on Santiago, is a draw to Olivera. He is the thunder to Santiago’s lightning. Last year he rushed for 897 yards on 168 carries 5.3 avg and 10 TDs.

So. James Johanneson 6’1″ 230 lbs – A transfer from the Gophers, James is the x factor this season. He’s obviously a big dude but he also possesses tremendous speed and shake that you wouldn’t expect from someone his size.

FB: Sr. Kyle Norberg 6’1″ 240 lbs – A former linebacker then running back and now fullback. He’s a first off the bus kind of guy with huge arms and long hair. Really a good blocker who can also take a dive or draw and make a lot happen.

OL: Presumed starters – Sr. LT AJ Stockwell 6’5″ 315lbs – started since his fr year. Good athlete with a serious mean streak. Has had durability issues in his career.
      – Jr. C/OG Grant Aplin 6’1″ 300lbs – started at center for most of last season. Obviously not very long but he is skrong, quick, and nasty. I look forward to seeing Grant vs your interior beasts on the DL.
      – Jr. OG Demon (Deh-Mon) Taylor 6’4″ 310lbs – all conference level guard last year. Really powerful in the run game, huge lower body. If he can get is pass pro to match his run blocking he could be an NFL talent.
      – So. RT Elijah Grady 6’5″ 300lbs – this one is apparently becoming a bit iffy. He started as a true fr in 2015 and was pretty dominant which is ridiculous considering he played 9 man ND football in high school. If you want a good laugh check out his HS HUDL film. Hint, he had a 90 yard pick 6. http://www.hudl.com/profile/4400670/elijah-grady Anyway he ended up quitting the team to go back to the reservation and be with his girlfriend and new baby. He obviously didn’t play in 2016, but he continued his school work at a community college. This spring we then received news that he rejoined the team. His talent is unquestionably NFL level but we will see on the commitment portion which is more important obviously. If he starts we will have a very good line. If he leaves again we will have a big question mark at RT. I won’t count him as truly on the team until I see him suited up in Utah.
      – The LG spot will be Aplin if So. Patrick Rooney 6’3″ 295 can claim the OC spot. Rooney showed a lot of promise as a RSFr last season at OC when Aplin would slide over.

TE:Jr. Luke Fiedler (Fiddler) 6’5″ 250lbs – long arms and longer hair. He’s got a good set of hands and has become reliable in the run game as a blocker.

So. Alex Cloyd 6’4″ 250lbs – legs like tree trunks and the first TE to play as a true fr since former Vikings great Jimmy Kleinsasser. I expect him to have a break out season this year. This guy is a beast.

WR: -tall slow ass white boy alert- So. Travis Toivonen 6’3″ 210 lbs – not really fast, at all, however, he does have a good set of mits and is a classic possession WR. Big body, long arms, surprising leaping ability. Led the team with 39 catches for 433 yards and 3 TDs as a true fr. I just hope he got faster after a year in the weight room.

Sr. De’Mun Mercer 6’2″ 210 lbs – transfered in from Texas St. Once he got acclimated to the offense he shined. Did basically nothing for the first 5 games and still finished with 28 catches for 553 yards and 4 TDs. I would be he gets close to 1000 yards this season.

So. Zack Wanzek (Whan-Zick) 6’4″ 200 lbs – not as slow as Toivonen but not fast either way. As a true fr last year whose pants seemed three sizes too big and the arms of a cross country runner he had a knack for making circus catches and huge plays in general. He finished the year with 25 catches 367 yards and 3 TDs. If he can find some speed and get up to around 220 lbs he will be a nightmare for any DB at any level. He looks like a complete dweeb but is an absolute baller.

Jr. Luke Stanley 6’4″ 220 lbs – guess what? Another slow ass white boy. Stanley was our top WR before going out for the year with an injury. He’s obviously got size and he is a great run blocker on the perimeter. He’s another classic possession WR who has a knack for getting open.

Last year this group lacked elite deep speed to keep the defense honest. The coaches addressed this in recruiting and fr Cam Mckinney 5’9″ 165 lbs was an early enrollee who is a true speed merchant. If he can be a true deep threat our offense will finally have the balance we need to make a run towards a championship.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll post on the defense later.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

This is terrific. Thanks very much for joining the site and posting this info.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Thank you for the detailed write up. Lots of good info in there.

Welcome to the site. If you plan on making it out for the game next month and would like to share a beer or two at the tailgate lot, or need local recommendations for anything, holler!

pics
      Ute Fan
      @pics

Nice summary. Thanks for dropping by.

geaux-sioux
      Ute Fan
      @geaux-sioux

No problem. I noticed that a poster made a point that our OL was going to be comprised of 4 guys who “played high school football less than a year ago” so I figured I’d set the record straight on that and prevent any further tall tales of ineptitude.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Awesome summary, thank you.

geaux-sioux
      Ute Fan
      @geaux-sioux

Quick note on the offense: We like to pound the rock and run a ton of exotic personnel packages with all sorts of shifts and motions. Our playbook is very complex and takes players a while to get used to. Whenever we’ve had transfers it usually takes them at least 7 games into the season to really get it. We do throw the ball and I think this coming season we will have our most balanced offense in years when we had to rely on the run out of necessity due to lack of quality on the perimeter.

CyclingUte
      Ute Fan
      @cyclingute

Thanks for the breakdown. I love learning about the other teams and what their personnel packages look like. Hope you enjoy the game!

quagmire
      Ute Fan
      @quagmire

How about a prediction geaux-sioux? Should we be on upset alert knowing und’s strength, pounding the ball, is going against utahs strength, stopping the run. However, Utah does seem to have a problem stopping mobile quarterbacks. 

geaux-sioux
        Ute Fan
        @geaux-sioux

I honestly haven’t seen Utah play enough to make much of a prediction. I guess I’ll make three separate predictions based off of three different scenarios.

1: We are unable to run the ball and are forced to chuck and duck to keep up. Utah 42-12.
        2: We are able to run the ball. Utah 24-23
        3: Utah is unable to run the ball and we are. UND 27-24

Either way, I can’t wait for this game. You guys have the best FBS team we will have played and this is most likely our best team in the D1 era.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

If you’re coming out for the game you are welcome to stop by my tailgate and I’ll treat you to a frosty beverage.

geaux-sioux
            Ute Fan
            @geaux-sioux

Unfortunately I am unable to make it out for this game. Tried to make it work but I’ll have to settle for tv. There are quite a few F’n Hawks fans that will make the trip though. Feel free to stop by our forum http://forum.siouxsports.com

Just as a heads up, you guys might want to do a look-a-likes thread of our team. We’ve been doing them for each opponent and it never disappoints. We even had an opposing player from Montana State that we roasted post the comparison on his twitter. We may not win the game but we will win the look-a-like threads.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Thanks for the great posts. Stick around and let us know if you go to the game. I’m sure someone can hook you up with some tailgating.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Congrats @geaux-sioux – your post is #1 in likes for the last week!

geaux-sioux
      Ute Fan
      @geaux-sioux

MOVED TO NEW THREAD HERE: https://www.utehub.com/?th=35501

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Hey thanks so much @geaux-sioux. I’m goint to put your defense run down in a new thread.  It may not get as much attention buried here now.

geaux-sioux
      Ute Fan
      @geaux-sioux

Update on our OL: Elijah Grady did not report to fall camp. This means either senior Matt Cox who is large but, in my opinion, just can’t hang on the edge. Look for a RS FR to possibly start at RT.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Thanks for the update. Didn’t show up to fall camp eh? Wow.

geaux-sioux
          Ute Fan
          @geaux-sioux

It’s a tough situation. Depression issues. The coaches and team can only do so much for a kid.

siouxfan512
      Ute Fan
      @siouxfan512

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Hey @siouxfan512 this should be a new topic rather than buried as a reply in an old post. I’ll see if I can convert it.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.