USC Travel / Suggestions

Viewing 11 reply threads

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

Staying in the LA Live area. Any suggestions what to do before and after we win?

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I suggest visiting ISKCON temples. The headquarters of the movement and a lovely temple are in Ventura. And, the Laguna Beach temple has a Pancha Tattva altar.

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Laguna Beach deities

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

Laguna Beach also has a disciple of Hridayananda Das Goswami running the show, so insightful convos to boot!

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

LA temple deities

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Thanks. Was looking for something more fun.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

The City of Los Angeles itself is a hellscape.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Dysto- you certainly have some interesting posts. 😉

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

The LA area is quite vast — if you’re in the Long Beach area, try the Crab Pot.

If you haven’t hit the touristy Grauman’s Chinese Theatre area, its kind of fun to visit in person — see what people are talking about.   Same with Santa Monica Pier.

Closer to USC is the entertainment district around the Staples Center.  Could be good for a meal as there are several restaurants, but nothing really uniquely LA that I recall.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Yeah, after the win, get out of LA as fast as you can. Go to San Diego.

therealu
      Ute Fan
      @therealu

Head to Manhattan Beach and hit up the Fish Bar. 

koolboarder250
      Ute Fan
      @koolboarder250

I live in downtown la walking distance to la live. It depends what type of experience you are looking for. What I would say is take the metro to the coliseum. If you are taking an Uber it will take at least an hour to get to the stadium due to roadwork going on right now. Metro drops you off right outside the stadium and is $7.

Dusto
        Ute Fan
        @dustinrbarker

Any suggestions on where to park our rental car and hop on the metro?

Thank you

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

If you like art, there are two excellent art museums, both free, ( parking costs$ at the Getty.) The Getty, and Norton Simon.
      Both have really good.works by the renowned impressionists, Monet, Van Gogh, etc

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

If you’re there on Saturday I think some of the beaches reccomended above are a good bet. My favorites are more up towards Malibu (Point Dume, Zuma Beach, & El Matador), 1-1.5 hour drive from downtown. Depending on what time you get in though, I probably wouldn’t recommend trying to get to a beach Friday before the game. You don’t want to get stuck in Friday afternoon traffic trying to get back to the Coliseum. There are some cool places to visit/eat at in the Arts District downtown, which isn’t far from LA Live. It’s getting better, but in general, downtown LA is a S&!t hole. I work downtown and live in West LA, and I pretty much only come down here for work. I’d recommend sticking close to LA Live prior to the game and like the previous poster said, take the metro to the coliseum. If you fly into LAX on Friday, maybe head up to Santa Monica for the morning/early afternoon and then make sure you head downtown before 2:30 – 3:00 for a 6:00 kickoff.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

The California Science Center is right next door to the Coliseum, and the Space Shuttle Endeavor is there. The USS Iowa Museum in San Pedro is awesome too.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Does Lockheed or JPL have visitor centers?

ryynoo
      Ute Fan
      @ryynoo

Grand Central Market is close to you and is fantastic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Laughlin_Building

The Broad is a contemporary art museum:

https://www.thebroad.org

You could do the glass slide on the US Bank Tower ~1000′ above the streets.

City Hall and the library are worth a visit. The Getty is probably the best museum in the US West of the Art Institute in Chicago. There is a good Japanese Museum as well.

Eat tacos and as much Mexican food as you can, as well as Sushi.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Head up to the Chavez Ravine for the Dodgers vs Rockies Saturday if you can. It’s pretty commercial and Hollywood where you’re staying(which is better than it was in 1992). But, Dodger Stadium if you’ve never been is a must if you’re still there Saturday. Downtown Los Angeles is very underrated BTW. Lots of good bars and restaurants. Away from the commercial crap.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football USC Travel / Suggestions