Utah maintains lead as nation's #1 rush defense…

Viewing 4 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

#1 Utah: 56.0 rushing yards per game allowed
      #2 Penn State: 68.4 yards per game.

#3 in total defense by yards allowed. 246.3 yd/game
      #1 Wisconsin, 223.5, #2 Ohio State 224.3

Also tied for 3rd in defensive TDs (4) and tied for 1st in Pick-6s (4).

2 4

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Imagine how good they would be if they didn’t have P12 refs. Gonna be great when we get those neutral refs. 

User Suspended
        @a2ute

^ has zoob DNA

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Did you miss Anae getting tackled…like all the time last game. There’s data that shows Utah is getting hosed on holding calls.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

I guess my statement is poorly worded. I am looking forward to not having PAC refs.  Do you see my point now? 

If Utah got an early holding call on Anae it would set the tone that it isn’t permitted. PAC refs don’t know what a hold is. 

1 7

User Suspended
              @a2ute

So do PAC12 refs just have it out for Ute players or just not good at calling holds. If bad at calling holds – doesn’t it even out for both teams?

Before you answer let me put on my tinfoil hat.

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

Utah is getting particularly screwed. And it doesn’t seem to matter what they do.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

I know I agree. This is weird. 

ironman1315
                    Ute Fan
                    @ironman1315

I was responding to Pace Manyung

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

Oh ignore gets me again 

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

Tin foil hat…Utah gets UW after their bye and fUCLA after a bye. Interesting. 

User Suspended
                        @a2ute

your right, it’s DEEP STATE!

ironman1315
                        Ute Fan
                        @ironman1315

You’re* But provide me a reason why there’s this disparity.

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

Clear and obvious holds being ignored repeatedly through a game. It is obvious. P12 refs are dinks. 

User Suspended
                        @a2ute

Dinks? lol… that’s so Utah.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Amazing season.  I would love it,  if statistically, we have just an average game against UCLA.  We would win by 4 TDs. 🙂

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

Washington managed 53.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

this is neat and all but raw stat totals is not the best barometer here. You’ve gotta account for pace otherwise the info is misleading 

Utah is giving up 12 yards less than Penn St on the ground per game but Penn St has defended 70 more run plays than we have (30ish%) and is giving up almost a half yard less per rush than we are, which is a pretty huge gap. We are still good enough in yards per play to be 2nd, however…

Pass defense is the opposite for us. We are 23rd in total pass yards allowed, but per attempt we are T7

Slower pace will also help our raw overall defense standing, 3rd in total yards per game, 8th in yards per play allowed

Of course, you then need to take that and everybody elses info and run it throug someting that accounts for quality of run/pass offenses played and even then you gotta figure out some way to adjust for conferene strength and relate them which is probably impossible to do adequately due to them essentially being different leagues that dont all play each other and the games they do have against other conferences are insufficient sample sizes. You cant adequately say “this conference is stronger in rushing offfenses therefore they are a better rushing conference than conferences xyz” because they are mostly playing themselves.  Theres some stuff to work with to get a “general idea’ but the level of certainty is lacking when you are comparing 3.2 yards per play allowed on the ground in the pac 12 in comparison to anybody else

you can make more definitive statements about where we stand in tthe pac 12 (no. 1) but where we actually falll nationally is a “somewhere in the 1-20 range” conclusion

end definitely neccessary and worthwhile rant

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah maintains lead as nation's #1 rush defense…