We are getting a lot of national attention

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

and that is good for the program.

But, let me ask this question – Who here on the board thinks we could compete with Alabama or Clemson?

As for me, I don’t think we could.  I have watched these guys play and they are bigger, stronger, faster and deeper.  They have so much talent at every position.  They have few if any weaknesses.  Our defense could possibly compete for a while, but I honestly think they would wear down.  I am not sure our offense could do much against those two defenses.  Our offensive line would be overmatched.  Moss is as good as it gets, but he could not be successful without some holes.  This is just my view.  I am not saying I am right, just how I see it.

All of that being said, I think we can compete with any PAC12 team and most any other team in the Big 12 / 10 or ACC.  Georgia looks very talented and also may be a team we would not match up with.

1 2

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Good morning Craig James.  I was wondering what you have been up to.  Or are you Trev Alberts?  How are things going at UNO?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I guess I am getting too old to get it.  But, I don’t want to be either of these guys.

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

James famously quipped after Utah’s 2008 victory over TCU.  “What would happen if you lined that team up against Alabama, it wouldn’t even be a game.”  He was right… Alberts made similar comments in 04′.

No the Utes aren’t Bama or Clemson but currently neither are Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, need I go on. Enjoy the sun while it shines because it will get dark again eventually.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I think we can keep it close against any team in the country. The issue would be scoring enough to win the game.

1 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

We could compete with them but we would most likely lose. Last year, Texas a&m lost to Clemson 28-26 and Syracuse lost 27-23. Those teams won 9 & 10 games respectively. I would think we could keep it within a couple of touchdowns, at least.

If we could have an offense that is even close to as good as our defense, I would say we have a better chance than most at actually beating them. 

6 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

A better question to ask would be “who here on the board thinks we could compete with our next opponent?” Because that’s all that matters here and now. IF we were to play Bama or Clemson (and that’s a gigantic “if”), it wouldn’t be until January. Lots of football to be played between now and then. Lots of injuries bound to happen to all teams in your hypothetical. Lots of guys who will step up and outperform expectations on all teams. Lots of guys who will underperform on all teams. Lots of coaching successes and failures on all teams. The question is so far out in the future that it’s pure pie in the sky.

So, to answer the relevant question, I would say yes, we can compete with our next opponent.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Let the coaches have this attitude. We’re fans, and we’re free to speculate on anything we choose to discuss. Thanks.

I hate forum “normers,” i.e. the ones who tell us how to think.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Whoa, I think you forgot to take your Paxil this morning, son.

I’m not saying you can’t speculate or look ahead. I’m saying it really isn’t meaningful to do it because things change so much over the course of the season. Any matchup between Utah and Clemson/Bama would have to be assessed at that time when we see how everyone emerges from the regular season.

I’m sorry I’m normal. I guess.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Judging by your post history (Posting your graduation date) I’m a bit older than you, son.

3 1

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

This is likely the best roster of the next five, or the five before that. We are positioned perfectly to make a run at CFP if we win big all year. I doubt that is what will happen. Injuries are a thing and our OOC schedule is awful. It’s reasonable to hope for a repeat as South Champs but beyond that, we should not be talking too big unless sounding delusional is okay with all of you. 

We know we have a DL, a secondary, a QB and RB. We don’t know how the OL meshes, and I haven’t seen a WR unit that hasn’t had the drops since 2008.

Maybe we earn a chance to play a team like Clemson, but probably not. How about we focus on the next game, and see what we have. 

1 7

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Again with “the next game” crap. This is a FAN BOARD, not a coach and player board. They’re the only ones who need laser focus on the next game. I don’t. But so many fans think they have to have the same attitude, and never talk about future games. It’s silly, and quit telling the board to emulate your opinion.

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

quit telling the board to emulate your opinion

I mean, isn’t that what you’re doing? You’re entitled to your opinion just as Duhwayne and some of us who choose to see things a bit more realistically are. I didn’t think Duhwayne was trying to tell anyone else how to think, he was just simply stating what he feels.

1 3

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Over and over and over we get these posts. Is there some superstition of these posters we’re violating by looking ahead?

I will never get it.

2 1

ironman1315
              Ute Fan
              @ironman1315

No. But I think they’re taking a wait and see approach. No need to be a dick.

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

I’m sorry for being a dick.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

I agree in theory, but the problem with fans looking ahead is that it can rub off on players. Believe it or not, our players see things fans say on Twitter, Instagram, and fan message boards like this one. 

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

Sigh. Sorry, I’m gonna say that’s not my problem. If the coaches and players can be that distracted, perhaps they shouldn’t be on social media, at least during the season.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

We’ll give em as good as we get, but I am not sure we will win. Probably lose by at least 10 pts.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football We are getting a lot of national attention