Who Has a Better Offense, USC or Oregon?

Viewing 9 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I would say that it’s USC.

USC has already played the #12, #14, #34, and #35 ranked defenses in FBS and is still the #11 in offense in the FBS.

I also believe that USC has the better QB and receiving corps (this one is not even close). The running back room between the teams is probably a push. The one place where I believe that Oregon has an advantage is in the OL, but I don’t think it’s enough to surmount all of the other advantages that USC has on offense.

Oregon is the #2 offense in the FBS but has only played the #59, #82, #83, #115, #127, and #130 ranked defenses in the FBS. Collectively, that averages out to 100. Yes, Oregon has become the #2 offense in the FBS by essentially playing, on average, the #100 ranked defense in the FBS on a weekly basis.

I imagine that lofty ranking starts going down this weekend as Oregon starts playing some of the toughest defenses in the PAC.

2 3

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I would take Bo Nix over CW. Also this was probably the weakest ass USC wr corp I ever seen. Oregon is the better team.

7 1

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Oregon has a better O-Line and running game. They’re going to give us fits.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Probably Oregon. More diverse in what their offense can do.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Guys, I get what you’re saying but have you seen the defenses that Oregon has played? Literally nobody…

Eagle, I’m sorry man, but this is the once in a 100 time I disagree with you. The Oregon receiving corps has nobody equivalent to Zach Branch, Mario Williams, Tahj Washington, Brenden Rice, or even Dorian Singer. Singer was 1st team All PAC-12 last with Arizona and is only like the 4th or 5th option for the Trojans.

And no way that Bo Nix is better than Williams…Nix is less than one point better in passing efficiency than Williams this season but Williams has already played four of the top 35 defenses in the nation while Nix hasn’t even played the toughest defenses left on his schedule. Let’s put it this way, if Williams had the personality of Barnes, would you still take Nix over him? I wouldn’t.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Nix is better. He has that team leader factor.

Weaker WR corp in the sense they are soft like a bunch of marshmallows. They are weak.

I am not trying to diminish the SC win because I think Utah should have been outmatched. That SC team was the weakest one Utah has ever faced. Even during the sanction thin dline years.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

SC’s problem is Williams. Call it the Michael Jordan effect. Until he learned to trust Pippen and the rest of his supporting cast, he was just the best player in the league. Once he went all in on getting everyone to play to their strengths, he became the GOAT.

Riley has a really good offensive scheme that Williams routinely ignores trying to make the highest impact on every play. When Riley’s other Heisman QB’s would lose a game, it was because the defense gave up too many points. When SC loses a game, it’s because of Williams. He’s good enough to beat most teams with his playing style, but when he runs into a defense that doesn’t allow him to play 7 on 7.,,

Arizona let that game slip away or else SC would already have 3 losses with 3 more on the schedule. Oregon and Washington can both outscore SC and UCLA is going to hurt him with their front 7. Right now it’s between SC and Tennessee for this year’s preseason top 10 that ends up unranked.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Both offenses are talented, USC has been tested more. USC has a higher ceiling, Oregon is more likely to get near their ceiling. I am guessing Oregon is mentally more tough mostly because we have recently broken USC’s mental toughness. I use to work with 8th graders on defense and always ask them to go get the smile from the other QB. CW is very difficult for defenders to get near, but if they do, he gives up his smile easily. I feel we missed some of the best part of the USC offense when they quit running the ball. I suppose they were in the way of CW getting his numbers but they were playing from behind the second half. Not sure Oregon will abandon the run as easily. I would give USC the edge but for them to keep it they need to have things going their way.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

You know what would be a hoot? If USC were to somehow right their ship and meet Utah in the CCG. Can you imagine the storylines that would come out of that? It would probably end up being one of the highest rated CCGs of all time.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I hope it happens.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

It would be epic. Half of USC’s team and coaching staff is already in counseling and observation for PTSD from playing Utah. One more loss and it’s the nut house for them.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I think Oregon has the better offense.

I would agree with you that Caleb is a better athlete than Nix. I would even agree that USC has better wide receivers. I don’t completely agree with your assessment of the RBs, but I will accept that they may be equal. (Tough to tell because of the way they are used at USC.)

So, why is Oregon better? First of all, Nix is a better team player and a much better leader. Just look at Caleb sitting on the bench pouting on Utah’s last drive. Second, Oregon is coached so much better than USC. Third, the offensive scheme of Oregon is better and more difficult to defend. USC has the talent to run and pass, but their offense is all about the reigning Heisman winner.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

USC had some good play calling on their first drives. Then Utah settled in and shut it down. It didn’t really take long.

I get that that the win was amazing and satisfying. USC just isn’t a good team. They never were a CFP contender. Washington and Oregon are dangerous.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

What Proud said. USC O may be better in terms of raw talent, but the combined effect of talent, coaching, scheme, leadership, etc. makes the UO O much more deadly. I still think our D is up for the task, and will keep them around 30.

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

Oregon has much better coaching, especially in-game. If they are getting 4+ yards per carry, unlike USC, they will not stop doing that all night long. They will also have a well-thought-out plan to stop Vaki. They will probably not help us win, like USC occasionally does.

That said, if there is a blizzard on Saturday, maybe we pull out another 3-0 masterpiece?

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Who Has a Better Offense, USC or Oregon?