Who will represent the PAC12 North?

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Here is how it works:

If Oregon wins against OSU – they are in.

If OSU beats Oregon and WSU loses to UW – OSU is in.

If OSU beats Oregon and WSU beats UW – WSU is in.

I think any of the three scenarios are possible.  However, I don’t see UW beating WSU.  So, if OSU was to beat Oregon (very possible) – we will be playing the Cougars from Pullman.

Wes
      Ute Fan
      @utahmanw

Why is it WSU in the third scenario? If that happens there are three teams at 5-3 and tie breaker rules come into play

richute
        Ute Fan
        @richute

It’s WSU because the tie breaker is record in the north. WSU would only have one north loss while the others would have two.

Wes
          Ute Fan
          @utahmanw

That’s not how the Pac-12 tie breakers work though. You have to eliminate one team in the case of a three way ties. Then It goes to the two way tie breaker rules

UtesRock
            Ute Fan
            @utahrockon

You are correct. The PAC 12 needs to revisit this.

Wes
        Ute Fan
        @utahmanw

I think it’s Oregon in if all three are 5-3. The tie breaker rules eliminate OSU based on their loss to Cal. Then Oregon has the head to head vs WSU

Wes
          Ute Fan
          @utahmanw

I don’t think WSU has a path to the CCG

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

You’re right. It doesn’t look like WSU has a path with how the rules are written

AZUteFan
            Ute Fan
            @azutefan

Not saying you are wrong because I have no clue how the tiebreakers work, but ESPN made it clear that if Oregon St beats Oregon, the Ducks are out and it comes down ti whether Wazzu beats UW to determine if Oregon St or Wazzu represent the North. 

NarfUte
              Ute Fan
              @narfute

Actually Wes is right, if Cal takes 4th in the north then WSU has no path. The multiple team tie break only eliminates the bottom team, then it goes to head to head oregon vs. Wsu 

NarfUte
                Ute Fan
                @narfute

The following procedures will only be used to eliminate all but two teams, at which point the two- team tiebreaking procedure will be applied:

Head-to-head (best record in games among the tied teams)

Record in games played within the division

Record against the next highest placed team in the division (based on record in all games played within the Conference), proceeding through the division.

All three would be 5-3 and 1-1 against each other. Then oregon and osu would be bottom 2 because they would be 3-2 north. Then osu goes cuz they lost to Cal. At that point its WSU and Oregon, going back to the 2 team tie break. WSU lost head to head so we play oregon

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Wes
              Ute Fan
              @utahmanw

According to the pac-12 website, this is incorrect

dystopiamembrane
                Ute Fan
                @dystopiamembrane

Do you have a link for the pac-12 website info?

ravensute
                Ute Fan
                @ravensute

Yeah,

“The following procedures will only be used to eliminate all but two teams, at which point the two-team tie-breaking procedure will be applied.”

If you’re right – and I think you are – WSU would be eliminated even though they are tied head-to-head and have the best divisional record of the 3 tied teams. That would make me pretty angry if I was a WSU fan – and if OSU and WSU win next week. 

The rule is obviously confusing enough that it probably ought to be fixed/clarified.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Who will represent the PAC12 North?