Why do we have 11 Freshmen on the BBall team? I can’t be the only one that…

Viewing 3 reply threads
      4 5

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

thinks Kryskowiak isn’t long for Utah basketball right?  Shouldn’t he have the program in a healthier and more mature place at this point? 

12 1

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Because Krystko put together an awesome recruiting class and the older players saw the talent gap and left because that’s what kids do today?

sweetgrass
        Ute Fan
        @sweetgrass

that is one theory, I hope you are right.

It certainly seems the case with Jayce Johnson leaving.

3 5

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

If this is true then we should have a national championship by now.

It’s the same story year after year since Krystko got here. Nearly half of the roster, sometimes more, turns over every year. If it’s really because he keeps recruiting over everyone else already on the roster, then in his 9th year we should have the best players in the country.

CincyUte
          Ute Fan
          @cincyute

Of all the players that have transferred away since Krysto took over, what three players have you regretted losing the most?

Daniels?  Tillman? . . . . ?

3 1

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

All of the guys who might have blossomed as juniors and seniors had they stayed in the same system with the same coach rather than transferring.

Anyone who doesn’t see LK’s transfer problem as a ‘problem’ just has their head in the sand.

CincyUte
              Ute Fan
              @cincyute

So…….Chris Seeley, Kolbe Caldwell and Jojo Zamora?  Okay.

CincyUte
              Ute Fan
              @cincyute

Tim Coleman?  Christian PoPoola?

CincyUte
              Ute Fan
              @cincyute

Nate Duda?  Jakub Jokl?

1 1

CincyUte
                Ute Fan
                @cincyute

It’s too bad we never got to see Jakub Jokl blossom as a junior and a senior.

CincyUte
              Ute Fan
              @cincyute

Austin Montgomery?  I’ll bet that dude’s tearing it up down there at Dixie.

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

There have been a few that I wish had stayed. The problem isn’t the loss of talent, but the loss of stability in general. It is concerning.

TheJuggernaut
              Ute Fan
              @thejuggernaut

We’ve lost three, maybe four players who could have helped us win games – Daniels (locker room cancer), Chapman (problem child who didn’t think he needed to do what the coaches asked), and Tillman (admittedly a headscratcher). Maybe put Zamora on the list, maybe Jayce Johnson, although right now I’d rather have Carlson playing big minutes than Johnson, even as a true FR he’s an immediate upgrade over JJ.

This team has a ton of talent, and potential, and zero problem children. There are also two immediate impact players coming in next season. This is not the “same story year after year”, Larry is building something and if the primary contributors stay (I expect there will be a couple of transfers due to lack of PT) this could be the start of a really nice run.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

You must have not watched the game last night. I’m almost sure of it. Had you watched the game you would have seen how improved the new players ate over the old vets that left. They are decisive, crash the boards relentlessly, and play tough ball. I was of the same opinion as you y til I watched this game. Rylan Jones has the “IT” factor even though he looks 10 years old.

LetItRide
        Ute Fan
        @letitride

Exactly. Utes led conference in threes last yr but sucked everywhere else.
        This team is old school Utah. Rebounding and toughness. The defense is still raw but it’s a completely different team offensively from last year.
        It’s a LK type team.
        RJones will be a Stockton esque’player before he graduates.
        The Finish kid is so Alex Jensen it’s scary to watch.
        Carlson and La Hot(love it) will be up and down, but show great promise for big men.
        Offensive rebounds could see a boost as well. We will see. One game obviously doesn’t mean squat but they won on road, sold out crowd, survived two major runs and still came away with the win.
        It was a pleasure to watch and am intrigued to see the development going forward. Probably will lose more than they win,but the style of play looked more fluid rather than mechanical.

Distantute
          Ute Fan
          @distantute

To cincyutes comments – why are we giving so many scholarships to kids you feel are terrible? You cant have it both ways.

2 1

CincyUte
            Ute Fan
            @cincyute

Not all our scholarship players are going to be stars.  The ones that don’t earn a lot of playing time tend to transfer somewhere else.  I still don’t see the problem.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

The turnover will, in all likelihood continue this offseason (bench players transferring to a team where they feel they have a chance to play). We have 11 freshman, with several more VERY talented guys joining the team next year. Do the math. I can almost guarantee 4-5 transfers this offseason, but they won’t be the guys we need. They will be the ones that aren’t getting much if any playing time, who only stand to be pushed further back in the rotation by the incoming class of players.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Why do we have 11 Freshmen on the BBall team? I can’t be the only one that…