wow…

Viewing 2 reply threads
      1 6

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I mean, ASU was overrated, but beating them after how we have played all season is a big deal. I think it’s more an illusion than anything, though I hope to be proven wrong.

Tillman hit six threes, which is probably more than he has hit all season long. Charles Jones had 8 points, easily his best game. PVD also had an uncharacteristically pretty good game. I hope they prove me wrong, but I just don’t see either of those three having those type of performances consistently. Tillman can put up 22 points any night, but not usually in that manner.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

You’re right. PVD actually making shots is uncharacteristic. 

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Honestly I don’t know where this idea that PVD can’t shoot comes from. He’s the best percentage three-point shooter on the team (for anyone with > 2 attempts). He’s #2 on the team in points/minute. His issue is that he’s inconsistent – he has quite a few games where he goes 1 for 6. But everyone seems to gloss over the fact that he has quite a few games where he goes 5 for 6.

We act all surprised when PVD has a good shooting night, but he has them about every other night.

PVD is shooting .464 overall and .433 from 3. So explain to me why does Both Gach (.483/.343) get a pass from fans? Why does Barefield (.422/.409) get a pass? How about Tillman (.453/.354)?

My guess is, the PVD hate comes from the fact that he looks goofy. The stats certainly don’t bear it out.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

PVD doesn’t create his own shots, doesn’t get to the FT line (1 for 2 on the season), doesn’t rebound much, can be a bit of a defensive liability, and and is very streaky as a shooter. 

But he is one of the better ball handlers on the team, seems to be in the proper position most of the time, is pretty solid as a spot-up shooter when he is open, and always hustles. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Is my criticism of Jayce also because he looks goofy?

GameForAnyFuss
            Ute Fan
            @gameforanyfuss

No, your criticism of Jayce is warranted. I’m only saying your (and everyone else’s) criticism of PVD largely isn’t. At least, as far as his overall shooting is concerned.

PVD’s defense and streakiness are fair game. I don’t care if he can get to the line or grab a rebound – those aren’t his job.

My other theory for all the PVD hate is the group think mentality. Kind of the same reason “everyone” says they hate Nickelback, even if they’ve never heard Nickelback. It just becomes the cool thing to say if you want to fit in.

There have been some other UU athletes who have become the subject of irrational fan hatred, both football and basketball. PVD is that guy in basketball this year.

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

To be clear, I don’t hate Parker Van Dyke. It just seems to me someone as highly touted as him as a sharpshooter would make more shots.

GameForAnyFuss
                Ute Fan
                @gameforanyfuss

Granted, the bar for being a good shooter on this team is set really low.
                I just wish we’d spread the criticism of poor shooting around a bit more. Because there are worse shooters than him on the team (11 of them, to be exact).

Tony (admin)
                  Admin/Founder
                  @admin

Totally agree. Even making layups seems to be difficult. Last night was fun, but until I see sustained good play I’ll chalk it up to a fun run in the 2nd half of one game. 

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I agree with your caption. “WOW”
      We have a great win after a sloppy start and we still have people on this forum bashing our players.
      Just so you understand what I am saying, You guys need to lighten up and feel some happiness when we win.
      I have no idea what your non-fandom lives are like but I truly feel for you if they are like your Ute basketball fan life.
      WE won the freaking game. Show some happiness. That is supposed to be what being a fan is all about.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.