Up Next in FB:
Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

You “I don’t want to play BYU” people are WEAK. Look, we want to play BYU. Why?

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football You “I don’t want to play BYU” people are WEAK. Look, we want to play BYU. Why?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      18 3
      Utah
      Participant

IF Utah beats USC, then we will be ranked. To be ranked 20-ish with a game vs a top 10 team that sucks and you will roll? Yes please. Then Utah is 2-0 and suddenly a top 15, possibly top 10 team. We would roll our last two games and finish the year 4-0. 

What happens then? Who knows. But we’d be a top 10 team and have so many options open. Maybe we get Oregon again. Maybe we get a NY6 Bowl. But we get recognition. 

AND we’d head into the 2021 season ranked as a top 15, top 10 team returning EVERYBODY. We’d be the belle of the ball in the south. 

Any chance you have to beat a top 10 team, especailly when it is such a weak one AND especially when it’s those clowns, you take it and smash them. 

Goodness you people. 

5 1
      Central Coast Ute
      Participant

Plus we can stop hearing the ridiculous heisman talk and the non-stop “we would beat Utah this year” and “we would win the PAC 12 south this year” BS. it’s a win-win for the Utes this year.

10 2
        UteBacker

Devil’s advocate time:

We come out cold (see Navy) with one game under our belt to their 9.  We get our asses handed to us, which propels them to the playoff and we look like a bunch of dumbasses because we just lost to Utah State South.

3 1
          Utah
          Participant

So what? If we don’t play them they go undefeated. So nothing changes. And they won’t make the playoff. Liberty or Cincinnati would make it before they do.

And I highly doubt that Utah would come out flat or look anything like Navy did. We’ve been hitting each other for a long time now. And the Utah players have been hearing all the garbage that BYU gets fed to them by the media. They will be ready to make a statement.  

2 1
            UteBacker

Oh, I like your scenario MUCH better, Utah.  There’s just a darker more sinister side to us playing those guys.

2 1
            BD
            Participant

And the Utah players have been hearing all the garbage that BYU gets fed to them by the media. They will be ready to make a statement.

This.

This is why Utah should play BYU and would win – perhaps by 2 or 3 TDs or more. They will run their mouths like nothing ever seen before. Remember last year when BYU talked – both the fans and the players. It motivated the team quite a bit. Well, the talk would be nothing like it has been before – their talk would be 10x worse this year. Knowing them, they would probably call out and insult Utah players/coaches by name adding more nitro fuel to the fire.

Even if they played and BYU wins, so what? Who really cares? Let them have it and forget it. But, given the talk and motivation that will come from it, I don’t think Utah loses.

6 1
          PhiladelphiaUte
          Participant

Navy is a bad example.  They didn’t practice before their game.  We’ve been practicing for weeks.  We’re not going to get our asses handed to us.  We’ll hand ybU-p theirs, and silence all that CFP/NY6/Heisman nonsense.

Dallas
            Participant

Some of our players have been practicing for weeks. Some have been sitting in quarantine. Which ones makes a difference.

6 1
          UtMtBiker
          Participant

Utah would have to come out cold AND somehow get a lot less talented to lose. Just look at 2018. BYU was a much more talented team in 2018 than they are now. They’ve been in a recruiting downward trend for 10+years now. 

That one didn’t quite go their way and we were resting starters on the defensive line and playing a backup QB and 3rd RB.  Still ran up 28 straight on them.  

OldAsDirtUte
          Participant

Thumbs up for the USS reference.

9 6
      GameForAnyFuss
      Participant

No. I hate BYU-Provo Campus and I hate doing them favors. I never want to play them again, in any sport, ever. If Utah was the on the cusp of a national championship, and the only thing that stood in our way was playing the intramural football team from Helaman Halls, I still would not want to play.

10 1
        Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I don’t see how ruining their season and beating their asses is doing them a favor.

4 1
        Utah
        Participant

Weak. Weak. Weak. This won’t do them a favor. It does us a favor. Beating a bad top 10 team gets you ranked higher. To not play a top 10 team like this…is just dumb. It’s the definition of shooting yourself in the foot. 

“hey, I have a way to make you famous instantly and all you have to do is this really easy thing you’ve done over and over and over again”

GameForAnyFuss: Nah, I don’t want to help myself. 

2 1
          Utebeam
          Participant

I like your take.

7 1
          UtMtBiker
          Participant

Probably the worst top 10 ranked team in the history of the rankings for that matter.  I’d seriously like someone to try and find a top 10 ranked team with a worse schedule in any year.  

7 1
            PhiladelphiaUte
            Participant

Well, there was the ’84 cougs.  Same SOS.  Different ranking.

2 1
          Dallas
          Participant

We wont get credit for beating a “top ten” byu team. The attention will be on their being overrated.

3 2
            PhiladelphiaUte
            Participant

And neither should we.  They’re not a REAL “Top-10” team.  They’re just a bunch of “pretenders”.

5 1
      Utah5410
      Participant

Let me spare the anxiety. In no world is BYU making the playoffs. This will not happen.

3 1
      cicampbe
      Participant

Normally, I don’t think it makes much sense to play BYU. This year, it makes a ton of sense to play them. Already, we’ve played two games less than most. Even if we go undefeated, we need another game to boost our schedule. Playing any top 10 team would help our schedule and would be fun to watch. For you guys against this, would you say no to playing any other top 10 team or just BYU? Plus, beating them and ruining their “perfect” season?!? I mean… come on!

7 1
      UteBacker

I appreciate everyone’s optimism.  I guess I still have PTSD remnants from growing up a Ute fan in the eighties.  

8 1
        Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

You and me both.  Personally I despise them and it irritates the hell out of me when the Utes are “tied” to them in any fashion.  I would prefer they be left to their own independent mediocre bubble. Banish them to the kiddie table, like at Thanksgiving.

1 1
      PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

Looks like you’re being “followed” on cougarboard…

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=24966121

1 1
        UteBacker

Ew. I can’t believe something I wrote is on that Stepford Wives cesspool of a board. I need an acid shower.

ironman1315
      Participant

Lol they’re so mad about the USU south comment.

2 1
      Smack
      Participant

My sentiments exactly, Utah. Their high ranking makes them an objectively attractive opponent. If the opportunity arises, smash them.

Charlie
      Participant

I expect that when any of the undefeated mid-majors lose a game they will drop out of the rankings, then to have beaten them would be the bump you get from beating an unranked mid-major. Not much to be gained there it simply adds one to the win column without adding to the significant wins. This is mid 80 revisited where we have no idea how to rank an undefeated mid-major like Liberty with lots of wins with a USC with only 2 wins or a Texas with a couple of losses. I would say Liberty could not play with them but then again, last year, USC lost to a Liberty level team. So there stands a blind squirrel with an acorn. 2020 is screwed up.

Cesar Chavez
      Blocked

Hell Yeah we want to play BYU! if Utah beats USC it will be ranked 18-22, we play BYU(ranked 8th) beat them like an orphan step child, Utah will be ranked 13-16. it will be so demoralizing for their program to know that they are not really that good.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.