Zach Moss

Viewing 8 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

I know we will find out in 9 days but I really wish I knew the situation with Zach. Ultimately I think the Utes have some talent at RB but for this season I don’t think he’s replaceable. 

Amazingly, I’m less concerned with Covey potentially not playing because I’ve read a lot of good things about the WRs and based on reports I’ve read the BYU DBs are not going to be a strength of their defense.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I tend to agree with you about Moss and Covey.  We should be okay without Covey, but Moss is much more difficult to replace.  All indications are that Wilmore will be great, but he is a true freshman with no game experience.  Not having Moss would be a challenge IMO.  I like DHC, but he has not had game contact in two years.

9 3

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Paging the Honorable OnlyU

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Zach is practicing with no contact today. Covey is practicing regularly. The cast is for an injury but 3 weeks after you’ll have plenty of options ranging from a soft cast to tape and foam protection, etc. Figuring out the risk vs. necessity is something that will be done BUT as of this moment I expect them both to play. Being in a cast for 3 weeks doesn’t produce a ton of atrophy either so I don’t think him remaining in the cast for healing and protection is necessarily a big detriment.

Still 10 days away so we’ll see but I believe they’ll both go unless unforeseen stiffness/weakness develops between now and then.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Any kind of cast, it sems to me, would affect his grip, and knowing TDS they’ll try to go right for the injured hand.  Fumble risk and further injury.  I do like the Ute back-ups at RB, so I think the Utes will be fine if they rest Moss for the first game.

radioUte
            Ute Fan
            @radioute

Players for every team we play through the first half of the season will go right at that hand.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Most NFL quality running backs are fully capable and comfortable with the ball in either hand. QB or WR not so much. Remember we’re dealing with a runner here. You can protect an injury pretty significantly on a hand. 3 weeks and 2 days from injury to first game. Maybe he’s not able to catch it normally but he should be able to RUN pretty effectively. That’s ultimately why I think he’ll play.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

We will win whether Moss plays or not. The RB spot is deep.

4 1

radioUte
      Ute Fan
      @radioute

Haven’t heard if he is out of his cast yet (I suspect he is not).  If he isn’t by today or tomorrow, he won’t be playing next week.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

OnlyU came on here and said the cast is preventative, and that it was expected he’ll be back for BYU. He may get limited touches, but you never know.

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

The backup running backs should be good, but there is definitely a drop off from Moss. My biggest concern with backups will be ball control. You know BYU will be out to create turnovers – they probably know they won’t win without them, and with inexperience at the running back position should Moss not play, that will be a concern. Still, Utah should win regardless.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I have real confidence in DHC, Brumfield and Green. I also think Wilmore could really surprise.

Gary Sapp
      Ute Fan
      @uofuman

Frankly, if I was Kyle I’d have a cast on him if he had a bad hangnail just to be on the safe side. So I’m not that concerned about the severity of any injury before the season starts. A week from tomorrow will tell us a lot more.

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I hope Zack is ok to play, but if he’s not I hope they don’t use him against TDS. we need him and Covey at full strength for PAC12 games
      We have a stable of capable backs and receivers and a good or perhaps very good QB. I think we have enough to beat TDS for the 9th time regardless.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

My opinion based off of what ONLYU said plus Whitt and Moss. My guess is Moss starts a and gives it a go. But, they will limit his time and carries. Instead they will run out DHC, Wilmore,Brumfield etc. either way I don’t expect Moss to be much of a factor which sucks. What has me confident is thinking how exactly TDS is going to score ? Unless we turn the ball over I don’t see how they will
      Score with there limited Playmakers and our defense. Unfortunately though I think our offense may be limited too in this game. Which means another close bull*** game. But we come out with the W. I predict a 20-14 score something like that.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

This, right here. 14 of their points were based on terrible terrible special teams play that shouldn’t be repeated (our guy touching a punt and an out of character muff from Wishnowsky). Wilson had a 40 QB rating when Utah finally woke up (and he threw into bad coverage twice in the first half and our guys just dropped it). Their o-line is overmatched depth wise.

Smack
          Ute Fan
          @smack

Plus, this year, 15 sacks. Let’s start the year off right.

Grimmetal
        Ute Fan
        @grimmetal

Shoot, give me goal line Zack and I’m ecstatic. We can move the ball without him. I think the D will come up with a TD, too.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.