2023 Schedule Released

Viewing 8 reply threads

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Thoughts? Big games back to back vs USC on Oct 21 and Oregon Oct 28. Don’t love that our bye is before the Cal game. UCLA seems like a good (but not overbearing) challenge to start conference play.

Schedule

ColumbiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @columbiaute

October is going to be tough. I know it’s Cal but that could be a sneaky team. Either way it’s gonna be a fun season!

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Considering how tough the teams are, I think this schedule really worked out as best as it could for Utah. 

Start with two P5 games, then an FCS as a bit of a break.

Then Cal preceding USC hopefully will be a good lead in. But USC and Oregon back to back is ROUGH. That said, Arizona State should be a win before heading to Seattle.  

All in all, the really toss up games (Oregon State, USC, Oregon, and Washington) are at least not all grouped together. I think this is a navigable schedule and I’m optimistic that Utah gets through it at 10-2.

ALUF
        Ute Fan
        @dbgii77

I agree with everything you just said. 10-2. I have us losing to USC and Washington

PNW Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pnwute

Also, of note, no teams have a bye the week before they play Utah. So that’s nice.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I don’t think there is an argument against this being our toughest schedule ever.  There are six teams in there that may be in the initial top-25.  But, this is what we wanted.  Now, we need to prove we can deliver.  If we do – it will be an amazing season.  (Seven home games will be nice.)

The toughest four-game stretch is: at USC, Oregon, ASU, and at UW.  ASU is the only semi-breather in that group.  I believe the other three will all spend some time ranked in the top-ten in 2023.

Side note – How many other teams will be playing eleven P5 games this season?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Only one other PAC12 team plays eleven P5 teams.  Colorado has TCU and Nebraska.

As far as other top teams in the country go:

Georgia has nine P5 games

Alabama has nine P5 games

Michigan has nine P5 games 

Ohio State has ten P5 games.

Outside of Colorado and Utah, I found that Pitt and West Virginia play eleven P5 games in part because they play a rivalry game with each other.  So, Utah is one of a handful of teams that will be playing eleven P5 teams in 2023.

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

Utah not getting out of the Baylor game is a head scratcher. Thankfully Baylor is in rebuild mode. Looking at the schedule collectively, I don’t see one team in the P12 having a significant advantage. The USC end of season bye week is no big deal, USC has a grind to the end. Williams could very well play his last game in the P12 on 11/18. No way CW plays in a bowl game if USC does not make the P12 Championship game. Let the off season hysteria begin! Go Utes!

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

I think the conference really cannibalizes itself this year. The teams at the top from last year should still be there since most have their QBs returning. No teams have enough talent to dominate like Georgia does.

UCLA will be breaking in a new QB so probably good to get them early in the year. USC has to play UW and UO so tougher schedule for them this year than last.

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Lots of great games and marquee matchups – Wilner listed out which games he thinks are the best in each week

The choice game each week, as we see it:

Sept. 23: UCLA at Utah
      Sept. 30: USC at Colorado
      Oct. 7: No marquee game (Washington, Utah and Oregon are idle)
      Oct. 14: Oregon at Washington
      Oct. 21: Utah at USC
      Oct. 28: Oregon at Utah
      Nov. 4: Washington at USC
      Nov. 11: Utah at Washington
      Nov. 18: UCLA at USC
      Nov. 25: Washington State at Washington

That’s 4 times that Utah has the game of the week (out of 9 possible), tied with USC and Washington for the most

salUTE
        Ute Fan
        @salute

I think Wilner got it wrong, he went with the media’s choice of blue blood USC vs Coach Sanders and Colorado for the second week.

The choice game for that week is actually Utah at Oregon State on that Friday (September 29).

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

He only chose from the Saturday games every week

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Utah vs OSU is the only game that week between teams that finished ranked last year.

krindor
          Ute Fan
          @krindor

He was only looking at Saturday games that he those ght might get marquee time/channel slots.

By default, Friday games aren’t getting marquee time slots

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
      Ute Fan
      @alaskasteveutealum

Should be a fun season. Looking forward to another PAC-12 Championship, an undefeated season, no major injuries, and a CFP Championship game against Georgia. Hoping everything goes according to plan.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

PAC12 did themselves no favors with this schedule. Just looked at the other teams gonna beat each other up.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

PAC12 is getting deeper.  Everyone is going to have a lot of tough conference games.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Defensively it will be about the same. Utah and Oregon st then who cares.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Looking at Washington’s, Oregons and USC schedule you can’t help but laugh at the p12. Anyone emerges through that gauntlet is a tough team. I don’t see it happening.

USC plays @Notre Dame week prior to Utah.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2023 Schedule Released