Up Next in FB:
Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

Are we protecting Covey?

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Are we protecting Covey?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

We have not been getting Covey the ball much so far.  I think this is by design while he gets healthy.  I think you will see little of him this weekend as well.  However, I suspect that you will see Ludwig get the ball in his hands 8 – 10 times a game after that.  He is a game-changer and we need to get him the ball.  We are certainly not hiding him from USC.  He has had great games against the Trojans.  They know his abilities.

I do like Vickers too.  He gives us another offensive weapon.  He is a pleasant surprise.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

I agree. He’s healing up for the start of conference play. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Fotu sit out most of the Idaho state game and probably more than one O lineman.

UteBacker

I never heard a definitive answer as to what happened to Fotu… does anyone know?  

Onlyu
          Participant

Muscle tightness in warm ups…completely precautionary. Was dressed and ready to go in the first half. Nice to have the depth we do on the defensive line.

Utebeam
      Participant

I would imagine they would hold him back as long as possible. While he is an amazing player he does not have the size to take a seasons worth of beatings in conference play. I cringe everytime I see him get lit up by someone that out weighs him by 50 pounds.

Dante Guardi
      Participant

id love to see Vickers take on Covey’s role while Covey gets to 100%. Other than Vickers not being able to throw the ball, I don’t think there is a huge drop off.

Chidojuan
      Participant

Probably protecting a lot of people. Idaho State is plucky, but they don’t have any speed or strength to match Utah. Play the 1’s for the first quarter I imagine.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Covey looks about 85% to me.

dwainegf
      Participant

I agree with Tony.
      Covey isn’t quite 100%. I’m not sure he will be until much later. I just hope he survives the getting there. He is very competitive and he wants to play. His style of play is all out. I don’t believe he knows how to bad off.

Jason
      Participant

Covey does not look 100%. The offense is also a lot different so he will catch fewer balls. There is also reason to believe that the O has still played quite vanilla.

Ludwig is going to pound the rock and pass as little as possible until that does not work. It has worked the first 2 games.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.