Up Next in FB:
Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

article ranking FBS teams desirability in further expansion

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football article ranking FBS teams desirability in further expansion

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      oc_ute
      Participant

we appear to at least be on the map to some folks. i hope i did the link correctly.

football scoop article

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

Looks like 2 “Utah(s)” = 1 “Ohio St”.

[LOL @ TSPP, who’s dead last in the P4, and behind 4 other midmajors]

ORute
      Participant

Its an interesting conversation starter but this is all sorts of bass akwards. If the most heavily weighted category includes “Fan Support and Facilities” and Stanford is still ranked 15 then something’s wrong. Same with UCLA. Those are 2 programs with mediocre historical football success and absolutely zero fan base. So both those programs who draw zero interest from their own fan bases are ranked ahead of Tenn, FSU, Clemson? On what planet is a TV exec saying they’d rather have Stanford than those three in their Football ‘league’? No planet I live on. However they did get byu correct, go figure.

ProudUte
        Participant

I agree. This list does not make any sense. I like that Utah is in the conversation, but …

UteNamedOg
        Participant

I wondered about that too. Prefacing this by saying I just skipped to Utahs spot in the list, but it is possible that these schools are boosted because every swimming, rowing, tandem bicycling, etc. Olympian with a degree and a dozen gold medals seems to come from these schools.

ORute
          Participant

Oh no doubt, Stanford wins more directors cups and swimming titles than anyone. But does that make them attractive for Football TV viewership? Chip Kelly had it right–just break Football off. If we start to include other non-football metrics for a new league, we’ll have games featuring Vanderbilt vs Stanford and no one is watching that.

radioUte
      Participant

I’d caution everyone to pay no attention to this. It is coming from Tony Altimore. During the Pac12 disaster he showed himself as a shill at best and a troll at worst (or maybe the other way around). Either way, these days he posts only for reaction. I’ll tip my cap to him because he goes out of his way to target BYU, but in this sense he is basically BigGameBoomer – just trolling for reactions.

MDUte
        Participant

I thought this video clip’s ranking was funny…going to a 68 team league and still leaving TSPP just on the outside looking in while Utah comes in at #32. Sorry Zoobs, you’re just not worth what you all think you’re worth.

68 Team Super League: who would be in/out

Uteanooga
      Participant

It is interesting to consider but it will all depend on how many teams are invited to the next party.

If they only invite 20- Utah will be on the outside looking in.
      If they invite 30- Utah will be a bubble team. There will be some quality programs left out in the cold.
      If they invite 40- Utah should be safely in.

40 or 50 programs have facilities that merit inclusion but the bigger the number the more the pie is sliced. I guess it will be either 30 or 40 with some significant financial incentives for the teams who win. This will allow a lot of teams in but still allow teams like Ohio St. to get more $ than the rest. I base this on absolutely nothing.

It will be a nail biter for Utah fans.

FountainofUte
        Participant

If the magic number is 40. Based on these rankings and trying to build four geographical groups of 10, here’s what it might look like:

EAST
        Duke
        North Carolina
        Ohio State
        Michigan
        Michigan State
        Penn State
        Pitt
        Maryland
        Kentucky
        Tennessee

SOUTH
        Alabama
        Georgia
        Florida
        LSU
        Florida State
        Clemson
        Arkansas
        Auburn
        Texas
        Texas A&M

MIDWEST
        Notre Dame
        Oklahoma
        Wisconsin
        Iowa
        Minnesota
        Illinois
        Ok State
        Indiana
        Purdue

WEST
        TCU
        Nebraska
        USC
        UCLA
        Stanford
        Washington
        Cal
        Oregon
        Utah
        Arizona State

Any of those you’d swap? Kentucky and Tennessee feel wrong in the east vs south, and Clemson feels like a floater between the east and south. Midwest looks the weakest. The South would be a bloodbath.

Otherwise, the west would be an absolute dream for Utah, And I’d probably swap #35 TCU for #41 Colorado. Just for geography’s sake. Would be a pretty even trade.

ORute
          Participant

I think Utah is really well positioned for the new era of CFB. Obviously a little biased, but our program has a ton going for it–more than many bluebloods. Here’s why:

-50 or whatever straight sellouts–shows consistently dedicated and passionate fanbase. Fanbase and engagement will be a huge factor for a new league–even if a team is historically good, an empty stadium is not an attractive product for TV. Some teams like say Miami can fall into a lull and so does their fanbase–making down years a really unattractive product. How many programs can measure an earthquake during their games? Big, loud crowds, regardless of current record make the TV product a lot better.
          -Scrappy, blue-collar mentality–Utah’s program is known for doing more with less, making them easy to root for. Contrast to a USC–top talent and always underperforming. I think the country prefers a scrappy overperformer and its easier to root for.
          -Great geo location in the heart of the west–makes travel easy for Western teams, growing UT population, proximity to Vegas–now a sports hub.
          -Growing academic rep–although not what people tune in for fb games, having a well respected school only helps our football program and vice versa.
          -Modern era success–contrast to say a Nebraska who hasn’t been able to compete in the modern era–for whatever reasons, we’ve so far been able to find success despite not having the deepest pockets, flashiest name or South Beach type location.
          -A program that does it right–Whitt’s built a culture other programs strive for–this creates a desirable pipeline for recruits which is going to be the key for long-term success.
          -NFL talent–we’ve produced top NFL players, huge factor for those wanting to watch top talent play in college fb games.

Yes, we’re not a historical blueblood, not a 100k stadium, but I think we’re very well positioned to be in the top tier of whatever new league CFB forms.

PhiladelphiaUte
            Participant

FWIW, our sell out streak is currently at 14-yrs, 83-games.

MDUte
              Participant

Thank you Dr. Chris Hill for not allowing Utah to overbuild RES!! He was so smart to talk to his peer ADs, listen, and not rush into expansion!

CityCreekUte
      Participant

4×12 makes more sense than 4×10 to me.

Also I think geography plays in which can hurt some of teams we would be in competition with in the south and mid west for spots because I think Utah will benefit in some small ways by being easily the most desirable team in the Mountain time zone. Granted it’s the smallest time zone but it does help I think.

FountainofUte
        Participant

If you go out to 12, it looks something like this:

EAST
        Duke
        Kentucky
        Maryland
        Michigan
        Michigan State
        North Carolina
        Ohio State
        Penn State
        Pitt
        Tennessee
        Virginia
        Virginia Tech

SOUTH
        Alabama
        Arkansas
        Auburn
        Clemson
        Florida
        Florida State
        Georgia
        LSU
        Miami
        NC State
        Ole Miss
        Texas A&M

MIDWEST
        Illinois
        Indiana
        Iowa
        Minnesota
        Missouri
        Northwestern
        Notre Dame
        Oklahoma
        Oklahoma State
        Purdue
        Texas
        Wisconsin

WEST
        Arizona
        Arizona State
        California
        Colorado
        Nebraska
        Oregon
        Stanford
        TCU
        UCLA
        USC
        Utah
        Washington

There are definitely some weird things if you look closely. The three Texas schools are each in different divisions. Nebraska is on a bit of an island in the west division, but they’re with Colorado.

Though, I agree, 12 seems like a better number than 10. And if you go out as far as 16, I think you start to get a pretty inclusive and fun cfb universe put together.

OldAsDirtUte
      Participant

ULM?

One of Alabama’s most memorable losses.
      ULM is picked dead last?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.