As SDSU goes, the season goes

Viewing 6 reply threads

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

It goes without saying the SDSU game is a bellwether for the rest of the season. So many questions and concerns voiced by Ute fans since the BYU loss will be answered in this game. 

– Does KWhitt still have the drive and passion required to turn this team around?

– Can the o-line show major improvement this week?

– Can our young but talented DEs turn a corner and get some QB pressure?

– Will the team come out flat again and get pushed around by a very decent SDSU team?

I don’t care about the BYU loss, it seems like we were destined to lose that game. There was way too much energy and enthusiasm by the BYU players and coaches (B12 invite, preventing 10 in a row, Kalani’s extension, Nacua brothers brought in major confidence to the team, etc). In fact, I 100% expect BYU to have a huge letdown game and lose to ASU, probably by several scores. As many others have said, it’s not about the loss, it’s about how the team LOOKED during the loss.

We need to see major improvements against SDSU. LFG!!!

Go Utes!

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

I think a loss to SDSU will tell us a lot, but I don’t think a win will tell us much.

I agree on the possibility of a letdown game for tds-p against ASU. They legitimately beat us, but that game felt like one of those games where they did everything right and we did… the opposite.

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

It’s hard to take away much from a single game, especially early in the season. But a dominant win against SDSU would go a long way in restoring my confidence in the team and coaching staff.

Larry B
          Ute Fan
          @larryb

If we lose to SDSU, or even if we don’t win convincingly, I think we need to go with Rising the rest of the season to get him some experience. If we can’t handle BYU or SDSU then we’re certainly not beating teams like ASU, Oregon, USC or UCLA. If we don’t beat at least 3 of those teams, we’re not winning the South. If we don’t win the South… well, you see where I’m going with this.

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

I agree. If there is no hope in competing for the division, give the reins to Rising and build for the future.

GreatNorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @greatnorthernute

A loss to SDSU with their backup QB puts the program in the biggest s**t since longer than any of us now remember.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

We have a habit of losing to backup quarterbacks.

RedRocks
          Ute Fan
          @hypodactylus

And interim coaches…

6 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

KW, players, and the local media created the hype about how good this team is suppose to be. Fans are only reacting because the words are not matching the field performance.

Quite frankly, I don’t think this Ute team is very good, mainly because of a lack of talent in certain position groups, game planning, and overall game preparation. So far Utah has not shown up to play for the first two games. Baffling how a D1 program in the P12 can’t prepare to play in the first two games of the season. No way the Weber game should of been as close as it was late in the game. Utah was 2/10 on 3rd/4th down conversions combined in the Weber game. We saw a lot of the same issues in the BYU game. Overall, BYU looked like the more physical, more talented team on both sides of the ball. 

Agree, SDSU game tells a lot of what’s going on with the program. 

younglurch
        Ute Fan
        @younglurch

I share some of your disappointment with the team, but I disagree this is team is not very good. It is still far too early to tell. Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, we lost a lot of leaders and talent from the 2019 team, and with 2020 basically being a scrimmage year, our current team does not have tons of identity. Throw in a new transfer QB, an RB room of mostly transfers, several new WRs, and some new defensive guys and you’ll get exactly what I think we have: a team of talented football players who aren’t fully comfortable playing in our system or with each other. 

Sure, I can see us winding up 8-4 or 7-5, which is below what most expected, but we still have the most talent we’ve ever assembled and the pieces just need to click. It’s important to remember that not every supposed “special season” pans out the way you want–at least at first. Look at Iowa St this year. They’re in a similar–or perhaps even more dire–situation to us. They came in with tons of talent and hype, loaded with seniors who opted to stay and one of the hottest coaches in the nation. Then they barely beat a mediocre Northern Iowa team before stumbling against their rival Iowa at home and having their lauded QB benched. Is their season over? Nope, they still have plenty of time to be competitive in the Big 12 and push for a stellar season. 

I see the Utes as being similar. Looking so-so against inferior competition, then stumbling against our big rival with a team that was supposed to be special. We’ve got plenty of time to rebound and find a mid season surge that carries the team. Even if this season is a dud, I still believe we can be great sooner rather than later.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

The team needs to take a breath and focus on one more pre season game to get right. Forget about the rankings, forget about the loss. Following the game with SDSU that needs to be a reset, our single focus should be winning the South. Win one game at a time and climb to the top of our division which is the only door out of where we are now. Only after that can we begin to worry about CCG or a bowl game. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, be driven to not repeat mistakes.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Utah will take care of business at SDSU and will win in convincing style.

If not, then maybe Utah will go to a s**tty bowl game that will be easy to win.

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

100 % disagree, as tds goes there goes the season. tds does not have better overall players, some yes. not overall. Utah should have went in and handled the game and moved on. Utah was out coached period. I hate to say it I am on the new coach bandwagon. 5th year starter against a 3 game starter?

better RB’s way better TE’s sorry excuse for coaching!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football As SDSU goes, the season goes