Bad behavior leads to more bad behavior and so on

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

The hit on Moss on Saturday was bad, but was it intentional?

A local fan makes a big mistake by messaging the player with vile comments.

Now, those who hate Ute fans are attacking all Ute fans as if we all had something to do with one guy’s stupid comments. (See the BYU board.  Some of the comments are over the top.)

I am not going to attack all BYU fans, because I know they all do not feel that way.  There are some who use this in an attempt to show that all Utes fans are vile.  However, I believe that this is the minority.

IMO, the hit was wrong, but I don’t know if it was intentional.  The message from the fan crossed the line big time and crazy responses by anti-Ute fans are immature at best.

We as Ute fans need to let what happened last Saturday night go and move on IMO.  I also think that the dentist’s life should not be ruined over a stupid, ill-conceived message.  There will be consequences for his actions as there should be.  He wrote something in the heat of the moment that was very wrong, but there are much worse things.  Let this guy move on.  Also, we all should learn from this and every time an opposing fan says something stupid we don’t need to lump all of their fan base into this group.

As I write this, I realize that this may sound a bit preachy and that is not my intent.  I am just trying to share my thoughts on this series of events that got out of hand.

Bytheway Tony, you did an excellent job of representing Ute fans last night!!!

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Agree completely.  I do take a bit of issue with the doxing piece of this issue.  It was a terrible, vile message that was sent to that player.  That can never happen.  However, the mother doxing this guy is also terrible.  In doing so, she has ruined his career (at least in the short-term), damaged the business that was not owned by him, and significantly effected the lives of his wife and kids that had nothing to do with all of this.

I’m disappointed that when Fox 13 reached out to Field’s mother, her only comment was, “I hope he is held accountable.”  I’d say he is being punished pretty severely.  It’s a sad situation all-around.

8 1

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

How is he supposed to be held accountable? He will be banned from Twitter, if he’s not already, but if she thinks somehow the Law is going to get involved, she’s wrong. There is no such thing as hate speech per the SCOTUS.

The one thing she did do, is ruin the man’s life. Whatever happened to sticks and stones? Block and move on. Everybody’s so thin skinned these days.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

There are consequences for our actions.  This dentist is old enough and smart enough to know that.  He probably teaches about it to his kids, maybe even at church.

Agree the retribution against him may be too severe, especially considering the collatoral damage, but I’m sure its just short term.  How many people getting really negative about him actually live in his small town and would possibly be a client there?  How many will forget about it next month when they get offended by something else.  Meh.

Italy88
          Ute Fan
          @itacoatiara22

He was already removed from all of the dental business websites.  I’d wager he likely lost his job.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Oh great. His family didn’t deserve that. I’m saddened by the cancel culture that thinks de-personing is OK.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

I would likely face the same consequences in my employment for what was said. But again that is why a good rule of thumb is if you wouldn’t say it to someone in person then don’t say it on social media. 

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

Of course. I don’t do twitter or facebook. Only special interest forums. Social media is cancer.

PhiladelphiaUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @philadelphiaute

^^^ THIS ^^^

Plus, I’m not narcissistic enough to believe that all my family and friends care about where I am, what I’m doing, and/or what I’m eating at all hours of the day, every day, 365 days a year.  If they’re at all curious, they can just “call” me.  They have my number…

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

I’m certain that this is EXACTLY what Fields’ mom was trying to do!  Looks like that dentist’s employer got royally played.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

Or they are just trying to shield themselves from the controversy over the individual, which is what I would do, if I were them, actually.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Totally agree. both the ASU player and the dentist made a mistake and I’m sure both feel really bad about it ( especially the dentist). Move on.

It’s amazing both these individuals were both thrown to the wolves for one stupid incident – yet we tie ourselves in pretzels trying to defend politicians and presidents for chronic poor behavior on twitter and personal actions.

From what I can tell, the ASU player has no history of cheap shots and the both the Utefan has no other over the line tweets.  Again, move on. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

The intentional one was on Enis and it was flagged and negated pretty much the best play ASU had outside of late runs by EB.

The hit on Moss is a bang bang play. But it was also intentional because he lowered his face mask and made no attempt to hit how they train kids. Somewhere along the line of his career he was taught to hit that way or practiced that. During a game you don’t rise to a new level you fall to the level of your training. He was flagged and ejected. That is the correct course of action and it is the only one inside the rule book. If he gets more during the season he may face additional consequences.

Comparing targets let’s look at two Utah has suffered.
      The one Umana was linemen clear out that they are trying to get rid of. Umana lowers his helmet to look down at the pile and unintentionally hits a OSU player in the helmet. Flagged he is ejected. Good call and right call. Utah trains lineman to come in like that and be violent when their guy is on the bottom of a pile.  

The other was in the endzone I believe  I forget what game.  I believe they punted the ball away but then evaluated it after Covey received the ball. It looked like a perfect form tackle to me.  I believe it was on Fotu?  But he lowers his face mask and it is target.  

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

if I’m being honest, I’ve been tempted several times to attack someone personally on social media.  Fortunately, I’ve always refrained, but I’ve wanted to.  Whether its sports, religion or politics its too easy to get worked up about nearly anything, and social media has made it easier and easier to communicate directly.   

I think most of us were livid at that player for ASU, it certianly appeared to be a cheap shot, and the way he acted afterward added fuel to the fire.  He easily could have ended Moss’s year or career, but to be fair only he (the ASU player) knows his intent with that hit.  

I hope all parties can forgive each other, and this can be a learning opportunity for the player, his mom and the twitter offender and they can all be better people for it after going through this.  

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Agree. The fact is these 20 year olds are taught to play fast, play violent, be the hammer not the nail, play low to the ground, and in a split second decision of both players getting lower, s**t happens. Sometimes the only way to learn is from making a mistake. I don’t know the history of Fields but have heard ZERO about past instances of head hitting or targeting, so time to move on. Got Utes!

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

The lesson all of us should learn is this: Teach your kids to never post anything online that might somehow be construed as wrong, inappropriate, or reflect negatively on you now or in the future. I know people who haven’t gotten jobs because they posted a drunken selfie on Facebook 15 years ago. Do I agree with it? No. But that’s the reality of the world we live in.

As such, I tell my kids to never post anything that’s not nice about anyone, anything negative in general, anything that involves behavior someone might consider wrong, and nothing that reveals political beliefs. It sucks but I believe that it will serve them well in the future.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

“Teach your kids NEVER POST ANYTHING.” – fixed.

IamgrUTE
      Ute Fan
      @jrevans

The kid made a big enough ass out of himself by the way he left the field.  He is just a kid though.  I’m sure he’s totally embarrassed by what he did and that should be enough.  Hopefully he was able to watch his team get there asses handed to them in the locker room.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Bad behavior leads to more bad behavior and so on