homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

Baylor QB commits to Utah.

Stacking the deck.

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Wonder what Costelli is thinking right now.

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Brewer is gone in a year, no impact to Costelli.  This is insurance for Rising as Jackson and Costelli develop behind them. Costelli may have some thoughts about Jackson, however.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Well, imagine Calvert, Tufaga and Jackson in the 4-3 with Fillinger and Carlton at the Ends. Wow. Jackson was recruited by Bama and some of the other big teams to play on defense. It’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Waybackutefan
          Ute Fan
          @waybackutefan

Good point, just thinking out loud. its going to to be fun, if we get any feedback during spring ball, how they are competing against each other. Can’t wait for the Spring scrimage. 

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Boom!! Who will we grab next??

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

Just need Gunnell from U of A and then we could start a different QB every week.

2 8

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

.. or who will we lose next .. this is crazy .. we’ll have a completely different looking team next year .. need some continuity to build upon this year to next … just need our youngsters to buy in for the long term .. if they do .. it’ll be a special team

5 1

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Who cares who leaves? All Utah can worry about is who is here.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

WR would be a great spot to plug someone in.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Might be nice to go after an O-lineman.

MFury
            Ute Fan
            @mfury

I have to imagine with the New QB stack we should have a decent chance at some WRs

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Indeed, need to replace Jaylen Dixon. Would like him to come back, but need deep threat receiver.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Ika? I know you said 50/50 and unlikely but I can still hope.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I take it from the way the question is posed, there is more good stuff on the way.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

It’s clear that Utah believes they can make a run the next few years and this proves it. These guys wouldn’t be coming here if they didn’t feel the same way. The continuity with the staff, every game you watch on Sunday seems to have a Utah guy doing something. The performance on the field last year all adds up to an increase in talent.

I kinda understand the “little man” syndrome that exists on this board sometimes because of where we came from but my hell you’ve been complaining about the QB spot for years and now you have a proven veteran and 3 absolute studs to watch compete and grow. Perfect depth..And you want to talk about who’s gonna leave? Who cares!! The guys that win are gonna stay!! You don’t think there will be another 4 star guy who wants to come in the following class? We’ve got the guys on defense for years…this is the next step to getting the guys on the other side and becoming the type of team we’ve dreamed about.

The whining from some of you is ridiculous. Enjoy this…We’re not in the Mtn West anymore and we’re sure as hell not the little brother to the South. You’ve got a 5 year run that you’re gonna enjoy the hell out of!!

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

^^^Mic Drop

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Thanks OnlyU.  Don’t give up on us.  

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Yeah, someting were not use to as as fans having several legit QBs all at once. Have to believe there’s strategy from the coaches on getting all these QBs or they would not be here. Brewer jumps right in as the experienced QB for nexty season. Costelli and Jackson learn, develop. Rising heals up over the next year and jumps in the mix. These kids need to learn some PATIENCE and grow with the program. At some point you will get your shot.

Honestly, it would be nice to have Lisk back for obvious reasons if he is still having fun. Scott Mitchel pretty much summed it up during the post-game interview with Lisk. He has a lot of years ahead to be all grown up. I am sure KW would let Lisk work in as a player support for the new guys almost like consultant to get them up to speed and also back up Brewer. All of this is a good problem to have and Utah football is quickly growing into a BIG time program. 

Still need some speed at WR. More to come I’m sure! Go Utes

2 19

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Bentley is a proven veteran as well… and is terrible, which isn’t what we were told he would be.
        I’m glad we have brewer. Like before, I just refuse to believe he’ll be any different than the other transfers we’ve had.

Waybackutefan
          Ute Fan
          @waybackutefan

The Bentley affect is deep in this one. How about you list the Transfers over say the Whittingham era and we can have a discussion on their impact on the program?

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

OnlyU,

I’m not a psychologist, but I play one on TV.

I think the “little man” syndrome you’re seeing is the result of us trying to be the anti-BYU fanbase. With them being so stupidly optimistic about everything, it makes some of us stupidly pessimistic just so we’re not like them.

I, for one, am really grateful to have you posting around here, and the future of Utah football looks nothing but positive to me!

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I would say Utah’s problem at QB has always been a lack of quality competition at the position. Dline and Defensive backs are a huge strength because Utah finds and identifies talent. Then the competition is fierce pushing the top guys.
        I think the worry over people leaving is valid but you can’t control that at all. This is great news!!

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

I really think it’s just because we aren’t used to having such a stacked QB room. If we had a single four star QB, it’s been “Ok everyone. On the “this kid” bus. Don’t hurt him!” But now since we’re elite, we have a STACKED QB room just like we had a STACKED RB room. The cream rose to the top…Bernard & Jordan and the other two went to other pastures. I really appreciate them coming but THE BEST ARE STILL HERE and have four years left to play! 

I consider JQJ to be last year’s QB. Again, grateful for Cooper Justice but he’s the next Drew Lisk, if he gets on scholarship. 

That leaves Rising to heal a year, JQJ and Costelli to learn under this new Baylor QB who will be here a year tops, and you’ve got the most stacked AB competition in 2022 we’ve ever seen at Utah. 

Different teams have different strategies. Clemson is an every other year, go for (and get) the VERY BEST QB you can find. Other than that, 3 maybe 4 star talents. Georgia is brutal. Get as many 5 star talents as possible and throw them in the meat grinder together. USC is get anyone to stay. 

The point is, each team has a different strategy. The higher we go, the more likely it is that we will have fierce battles for spots on the roster. We should be celebrating this, not whining. 

I don’t want a QB room full of Tuttles or whiny 5 stars. I want talented kids that are coming to compete and that’s exactly what’s going to happen here. 

I’m ecstatic about these grabs. Never have we seen so much talent and so much depth on the roster. 

Merry Christmas Ute fans. Be grateful for what we’ve got and be EXTREMELY grateful for where we are going. 

GO UTES!!!

DrJazzy
        Ute Fan
        @docute

Fire. And I am with you 100%. Thanks for all the insight you’ve given us. I, for one, am so damn excited about the future. We went from Tuttle being our first 4* recruit to now having FOUR 4* QB’s battling it out for a starting job. I don’t get the debbie downers on this…sure, not all will work out, but it’ll be a damn good qb competition and our recruiting at a position where we have not had much success before now is outstanding.

Utah MAN am I, gooooo Utes!!!!! In Coach Whit I trust. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Uh, Travis Wilson was a 4 star recruit and an elite 11 QB.

PhiladelphiaUte
            Ute Fan
            @philadelphiaute

Travis Wilson WAS an Elite-11 QB.  But — at least per Rivals — was only a 3-star QB.  He’d just missed the 4-star cut.

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Per 247 he was a 4 star. And FWIW, ESPN has had Huntely as a 4 star too, so we can say Whitt has had at least two 4 star QB’s out of high school before Tuttle.

DrJazzy
            Ute Fan
            @docute

Fair enough – Travis was considered a 4*. I don’t count Huntley – I know these things are subjective and a big part of the rankings is based on who else has offered or who else is interested, but 24/7, especially with their consensus rankings, is more accurate. Travis was while ago, I feel like we are on the verge of getting a 4* every couple of years now, a trend I can get with. Plus we’ve been really close with the Jayden Daniel’s of the collegiate landscape so its nice to have finally broken through. 

4 1

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

Tuttle wasn’t our 1st.  He was just our 1st “FRESHMAN” 4-star QB.  Don’t forget that Tommy Grady was a 4-star kid who’d transferred in from Oklahoma, Terrance Cain was a 4-star JUCO transfer (Blinn CC), and Troy Williams was 4-star transfer from Washington.  But as far as “freshmen” 4-star kids, you wouldn’t be able to count Bentley, Rising, OR Jackson, as they’re all transfers — just like Grady.

DrJazzy
            Ute Fan
            @docute

I thinn those other 4* transfers are different in the sense that they are upper classmen, vs Rising and Jackson who are Fr transfers. Jackson was rehbbing an injury and Rising didn’t like his place in the early depth chart. I dunno, I know it’s little things, but I for one am stoked we have the QB talent that we have next yr, it can only help us in finding the right QB for a good young team. I can also say we have probably never had this much QB talent in the room at the same time. 

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Some of us will watch TV, see the obvious shortcomings, and wonder why not take a second, get better players and play near error free offense and defense.  There are so many working parts to developing so many players.  Then some leave and the process continues.  That is every year, and then there is this year.  Covid, Pac 12 rules, local rules, differences city to city, all begin throwing curves.  Next, try to remember your own ability to navigate college, demanding sports and now complex covid rules.  Our coaches took this on while position groups move in and out of quarantine.  Once they have it figured out they take the team out to play others in the league with often greater resources, just as driven to have success in an environment that only allows 1 or 2 to escape the feeling that they need to do much better.  Ocasionally, teams manage rapid progress which plants the thought that is should be easily possible.  If you think it is simple, well there are a hundred little league teams in the valley that need someone to take a minute and work the miracle.  Work your way up thru HS and push on to top D1 teams.  Who would not like to enjoy the salary of a successful D1 head coach?

I see several areas that came together very well and a few still under construction.  All and all, I think the coaches have done very well and I expect they will continue to keep me well entertained.  Yeah, I am hopeful we improve some of the areas that held us back.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Can we start a new HOF for the best post ever and just have this one by OnlyU as it’s only entry!

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Agreed. I love Enis. But if he wants to leave. Then leave like Mariner and go to a G5 school and get touches.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Wait…what?  Is that true?  Enis is leaving?  I hadn’t heard that.

SorryWife
      Ute Fan
      @sorrywife

Brewer 2019 Season Highlights

I’m so excited about this

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

Impressive. 

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Can Brewer bring some of those olinemen and Mims with him? 

1 5

UteHorn21
      Ute Fan
      @utehorn21

Not to be the pessimist of the group but I keep reading “our QB room is stacked” some things to chew on.

Brewer isn’t elite but can be pretty good. His issues are his brain, literally. This guy has been absolutely rocked throughout his career and is a hit away from CTE (If not already there)

Here’s a few

Then there’s Jackson, Rising, and Costelli. 2 of those left to avoid competition only to be thrust right back into one. Here’s their combined stats in D1 football.

3/6 45 yds 1 int

It’s good to be excited, and no doubt these guys are talented. As for me, I’ll be taking a wait and see approach.

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

He brings in the much needed experience and gives us a time to develop the rookies .. we haven’t been in a position like this in the past with QBs , so It’s a good thing .. Spring and fall camp will be fun to watch .. or hear about

2 3

Cesar Chavez
      Ute Fan
      @le-cockgrande

NAH! OTHER THAN JACKSON, NEITHER OF THE OTHER 3 QB’S IN THE ROOM ARE ANY BETTER THAN BENTLEY. NEXT YEAR IT’S STILL GOING TO BE BETWEEN BENTLEY AND JACKSON FOR THE STARTING JOB, RISEN IS DONE!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Charlie Brewer in da house