ESPN 700

Viewing 8 reply threads

UtahUtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahutesrock

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed how much the local hosts seem to hate their audience? Just listened to Spence Checketts scold fans for misconstruing what he said yesterday. He regularly knocks on the local listeners when talking to national talking heads. Then Bill asks for texts but if fans texting him say something he disagrees with he goes on a tirade with how dumb the text is. Seems like a bad business model if you’re trying to grow your audience.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Bill has some really thin skin. I’ve been blocked by him on Twitter for politely disagreeing with him.

Brettski
        Ute Fan
        @brettski

I don’t love Bill as a play by play announcer either. It just feels kind of like he’s faking it or trying too hard. Too bad we can’t find another Marcroft – those were the golden days IMO.

Regarding the espn700 radio shows – Bill spends about 30 mins talking to himself to open the show and it’s just not that interesting. Spence is a mega d bag and I refuse to listen to him. He does indeed bag on Utahns and his political bias/intolerance is not the place for sports radio.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Spence is very good at conversation but struggles with thoughts different than his while he tries too hard to be source of guidance. He will tell you he is a Utah fan but he is a very long way away from being confused as a homer. Bill leans into the homer role. Both seem to be paid by the word and both could allow their guests more time to speak. Historically, Utah has always struggled to have hometown media like other schools enjoy. The Y, for the most part, always had their media based in SLC and had a head start and other advantages. The history is weird however, we are currently better off than in the past.

prestitute
        Ute Fan
        @prestitute

Spence is very much a Utah fan. I have been to games with him. He is a fraternity brother of mine from the same pledge class. Like him or not (and I definitely like him), I know for a fact that he is a Ute fan.

7 1

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I used to be a loyal listener to Spence but his political opinions and paranoid COVID rants forced me to turn him off. He used to have a great show but he has become a complete ass.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

Bingo

10 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Checketts is an asswipe by default. Namesake and all. I always find it ironic when he tries to preach about athletes getting into criminal trouble.

Checketts last DUI he was going 100 plus on i15 and was like 3 times the legal limit. His opinion on anything is absolutely useless to me.

Edit: Oh yeah it was in the middle of the afternoon on his way to a show. Guy is a loser.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I don’t know why any of you listen to Checketts. If you all stopped listening, they would have to make a change.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Would they? He only has that job because of his dad. I don’t think low ratings are going to get him replaced.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Checketts throws A LOT of stones for someone who lives in quite the glass house.
      “Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.” Barry Switzer

3 1

mesovanhorny
      Ute Fan
      @mesovanhorny

I’ll be listening to ESPN 700 tonite and not the FS feed if Brock Huard’s doing the play-by-play. I can’t stand his voice, his takes, or really anything Brock related. Brock’s the Bill Walton of college football

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

I always laugh at Bill tearing down peoples picks and opinions when he asks for them- ” text me your pick, text me your player of the game-” or how he leads people with a loaded question.
      As for Spence, I get that everyone thinks of him as a spoiled rich kid with a history, but I’d take him over just about everyone else in this market (DJ,PK, Scotty G, Jake Scott). Spence does come off arrogant more often than not, but I think he’s practical and objective on his takes. He also gets some good guests due to his connections and that’s who I want to hear anyway.
      But that’s just my opinion. I understand y’alls!

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc ESPN 700