For all those calling for Larry’s head after losing…

Viewing 10 reply threads
      4 8

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

@ Cal and Stanford, why aren’t you also calling for Colorado’s head coach to be fired? His team ALSO lost to both of Cal and Stanford. In fact, Utah was the MUCH MORE COMPETITIVE TEAM in both games. Utah had a legit chance to WIN both games, while Colorado wasn’t even close to doing that. I think Utah’s going to beat Colorado on Saturday. Frankly, I’m pretty freaking sick and tired of you people. No matter what they do you never give them credit for anything. What if they freaking WIN games? Is that still not enough for you? What exactly is good enough?

3 2

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I’m not sure I understand your rant. Colorado has a top-25 team who choked. Utah is straight abysmal and after, what, 8, 10 years as the head coach I and many of us expect the Utes to be a stable and highly competitive program. I don’t expect them to be Duke or Kentucky or anything of the sort, but I do expect stability. I expect a team that doesn’t lose 50% – 75% of the team each year to transfers. I expect a team that makes the NCAA tournament 2 out of every three years (ideally every season).

Not a single person is calling for Krysko’s firing because they lost to Cal and Stanford, it’s the overall program and how it’s flailing. Now I’m willing to give him next season to see what he can do with this highly touted recruiting class, but if they don’t make the tourney next season he should be gone. And I wouldn’t lose any sleep if they let him go now.

Also, as I answered your question, please answer mine, what has he done that warrants keeping him around? Why does he deserve it?

4 3

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I respect your opinion.  However, I think coach K has failed.  He has been given a top-ten paycheck and is barely a top-100 team.  He has no excuse.  He is in charge of recruiting, assistants, coaching, etc.  I gave him a pass a few years ago, but like someone below posted – how many next years do we need to wait for.

Just my two cents.

Go Utes!!!

PS – We should have a better team than Colorado 90% of the time.  We have a rich basketball history that needs to be restored.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

And all of that rich basketball history also came when Utah was a member of the Rocky Mountain Conference, Western Athletic Conference, and Mountain West Conference. To the lay person: AGAINST FAR EASIER COMPETITION THAN THEY FACE YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT NOW. None of those other coaches ever had to play a Pac-12 schedule. They played the likes of Wyoming, Colorado State, and Air Force every season. Now they’re playing UCLA, Oregon, and Arizona every season. Don’t you think that it’s more the level of their competition and not Utah’s program itself? For Christ’s sake, the Pac-12 is projected right now to get like SEVEN NCAA TOURNAMENT TEAMS this year. SEVEN!!! NONE of Utah’s previous conferences EVER got that many teams into the Tournament. You’re comparing apples to oranges. Rick Majerus made the NCAA Tournament a lot because HIS TEAMS PLAYED IN WEAK CONFERENCES which were far easier to win. Winning your conference championship usually leads to ncaa tournament berths.

4 2

rUckUs
      Ute Fan
      @ruckus

We’re not calling for Colorado’s coach to be fired because we’re not fans of Colorado. Let them do their own thing, and we can worry about what our team is doing.

And yes, winning games IS enough.. we’re literally calling for his head because he’s losing (both games and players)

I feel your rant is about nothing.. go ahead and like coach k. You are welcome to do so. But at least give us some substance in your rantWhy do you like him? What should we be giving him credit for? You’re simply yelling at us with nothing to back up your statement. Would love to hear more about your take.

4 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Why am I not calling for Colorado’s coach to be fired? Because I don’t care about Colorado. You think people are critical of coach K because of the last two games?  Uh, we’ve got 9 years of data. 

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Only one disagreement here. I doubt many young prospects today care about Utah’s “rich” basketball history. It’s still The state of Utah. Utah’s history, while very good, is quite limited in scope. Recruits today don’t care about our 1944 NCAA championship. Ferrin, Misaka, Van Horn, and even Miller are names known only by old people like most of us on here.

My $0.02

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Most players only care about a paycheck and what is in it for them. Especially top tier talent. 

I am fairly tempered on firing Coach. I don’t know if there is something better out there. I don’t know what the collateral damage would be with current players and this exceptional incoming class. 

His coaching is dookie this young team hasn’t improved at all. Fundementally they feel like they have gotten worst. 

4 2

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Facts are facts if Larry didn’t have that ridiculous safety net of a contract he would have been fired already.

The program has been stagnant for years now Larry is just not getting the job done.

I would expect a minimum of 4 transfers 2 being major contributors

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

I’ve been able to square myself with the state of the program for a lot of years.

But not this year. I see NCAA tourney level talent that coach hasn’t been able to coach into the tourney.

Credit to k for bringing in the talent and credit to him for a lot of things. But the way he’s coached this years offense has me pulling my hair out.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I look at that Kentucky win. I point at it as something that should have propelled this team forward. They are stuck and sinking though and haven’t grown from that win. 

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Maybe Kentucky overlooked us or just plain stunk that day.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Pace trying a new angle?

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

Can’t tell if Matthew Thomas Castleton is kidding or not?  Pretty sad when we are using comparative scores with Colorado to determine college basketball success.  Larry K has had this program trending in the wrong direction for years and it’s time to can him.  

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

The Buffaloes didn’t go winless on the road in the conference.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

That’s because they’re a team made up of seniors and juniors. Experienced teams tend to win on the road.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Question 1: Why aren’t you also calling for Colorado’s head coach to be fired?

Answer: This is UTEhub, not BUFFhub

Question 2: What if they freaking WIN games?  

Answer: If the team wins games, then fans will be happy and no longer call for a new coach.

Question 3: Is that still not enough for you?

Answer: See answer to Question 2.

Question 4: What exactly is good enough?

Answer: See answer to Question 2. More specifically, in my view (which I find fairly reasonable), the team should be in the NCAA tourney at least 50% of the time (5 out of 10 years); NIT 30-40% of the time (3 or 4 out of 10 years), then one or two times every 10 years, we might miss post-season altogether (based on graudations or other fluke things. Also, there should be progress throughout the season that gives hope for the next season. I give Larry K credit that typically his teams progress during the year. Unfortunately, the team does not pick up where it left off the following season. Also, this season, the team seems to have regressed.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

That’s because they’re made up of almost exclusively freshmen and sophomores. Young teams tend to struggle, especially on the road. Colorado has won conference road games this year because they have a team made up of juniors and seniors. Much like all the other teams who have been successful in conference play this year.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) For all those calling for Larry’s head after losing…