Funny BYU fan story

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I was in Wyoming yesterday and ran into a man wearing a BYU hat.  We had a pleasant conversation at first.  He explained that he worked at BYU.  He found out I was a Ute fan and said, “It’s a good thing you didn’t play us this year because we would have kicked your butts.”  He was not trying to be funny.  He was dead serious and seemed a bit angry.  

I first said, “If they did beat us, it would be the first time in 11 years.”  Then I calmly asked, “What makes you think BYU would kick our butts?”

He was starting to get mad and his wife pulled him away and took him in a different direction.

I rarely try to argue with Cougar fans.  But, this guy quickly got under my skin.  I still never raised my voice, I just pointed out the facts and asked him how he was so sure BYU would have kicked our butts. 

I must say that most of the BYU fans I know (I know a lot) are not so smug.  However, this is what many BYU fans do to themselves.  They have a good game and then they are world-beaters.  A few years ago when BYU upset Michigan State, a wife of a good friend of mine went off and told me that this was a huge win and the Cougs were going to be great.  I said MSU is not that good this year.  Just look at the two games they played before BYU.  She just about lost it because I questioned how good that win was.  MSU didn’t have a winning season as it turned out and we know what happened to BYU.  

Some BYU fans set themselves up for a major let-down after a good win.  It happens most years.

BYU played a near-perfect game against Navy.  I don’t know what it means because I have no clue if Navy is any good.  Maybe this is a very good BYU team.  I just don’t know and with their schedule, we will likely never know.  However, I would never be so bold as to tell my rival that we would have kicked your butts after watching just one game.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

That cougar fan is probably aware that the tdS is undefeated all-time vs. Utah in “hypothetical” games.  That must be where he’s getting the “We’d have kicked your butts” ideology.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

If I was a fan of their football program I’d grasp at whatever glimmer of hope that I could find too.  They WILL beat us again, but it will be an anomaly year where Utah just had 8 draft picks and they are loaded with upper-classmen.  This could very well have been that year for them, but we would have started a new 9-game streak next year.  There’s simply too big of a talent gap between programs for them to win multiple games in a row.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

They will win again someday.  This year was not going to be the year.  Utah lost a lot to the NFL but the 2s and 3s are coming along even better than last years seniors at that stage.  No shame that they could not unseat those players that left to the NFL.  We have handled BYU before with less than we have now.  Their seniors will have difficulity matching up with our underclassmen in all but a few positions, maybe the TE was the only mismatch they could hope for before his season ending injury.  The hope and expectation will always be there because it is one half step away from religious belief.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Why go there?  I say they should lose every time they play us…. FOREVER.  

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

So weird, right? The whole thing is odd, and I love every moment. Go, Cougs, #21.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

They’re going to kick our butts every year, or if the game has already been played, they would have won if there was more time on the clock, if they weren’t giving the ball away, if they were at full strength, if the refs didn’t hate Mormons etc. Etc. It’s the same thing in a different package every year.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo Funny BYU fan story