Gator Bowl canceled due to Covid

Viewing 7 reply threads
      5 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

TAMU cannot play in the bowl game because they only have 36 eligible players.

I hope this does not happen to Utah or OSU.  Both teams sending players home for Christmas.  This worries me a bit.  Oh well.  Whatever happens – happens.

Stay Healthy!!!

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Omg, this is what I fear as well. I didn’t think California would shut down the game but not being able to field a team due to too many COVID cases could put a stop to the game.

Having kids traveling home for Christmas is bound to lead to COVID infections. Britain Covey said they were just getting a bunch of guys back from quarantine this week who recently caught COVID. Definitely feeling worried about this…

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

I don’t know what’s worse – not playing because there’s not enough healthy players or playing with just enough healthy players and missing some key ones.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Everyone going home for Christmas is scary.  There are bound to be players who get Covid even though they are virtually all vaccinated.

The city of Pasadena said they have no plans to cancel the game.  If the game gets canceled it will be because one of the teams does not have enough eligible players.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

It is more than scary if the team is going home for Christmas. They should get the leadership committee together then the whole team and ask the question, how much do we want to risk getting this game taken away.

I wonder how many TAMU players tested positive or how many have just been near someone that tested positive?

McAfeeKnob
        Ute Fan
        @ogdenparaiso

I thought a high percentage of the team was vaccinated. Why would we worry about this?

13 4

beauteful
          Ute Fan
          @beauteful

Maybe because the vaccine does very little if anything to prevent contracting the virus? I’m sure most of players on TAMU were also vaccinated. 

3 2

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

This. A positive test is a positive test whether mild or severe, vaccinated or not.

TAMU was ~85% vaccinated before the season started. No idea how many got boosters. I hope most our team got the 3 dose, but again, they still could get it, just a really minor case but would knock them out.

3 5

Crow
              Ute Fan
              @crow

Talking with the doctors where I work you need the booster

2 6

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

Nobody meeds the booster. It’s a placebo at this point. No booster provides any more immunity than the first series given the the variants, and no booster gives any more of the therapeutic effects as you’re going to get from the first series. At this point it’s just p**sing in the wind. The “vaccine” is no longer effective if it ever was. Just go live.

1 1

DataUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @scotwaye

Bad take. They can actually measure levels of increased antibodies which help stave off the onset of infection or start the fight against it earlier yielding milder symptoms and lower rate of hospitalization. YRMV, but it raises an army thay has become a little complacent in being ready.

Tomasina
          Ute Fan
          @tomasina

Myself and my whole family are vaccinated.  Five of us contracted COVID over Thanksgiving and were down for two weeks… resulting in me not being able to attend the PAC12 Championship Game.  Even being vaccinated, it was as sick as I have ever been… and it was a rough and long recovery that is ongoing.  The vaccinated is not a guarantee.  I really hope all the players stay healthy.

ShakyJohnson
            Ute Fan
            @shakyjohnson

I’ve had a couple of close friends get COVID. Both are vaccinated. Both say they would rather have COVID than a standard cold. It’s really tough to know how it’s going to affect different people. 

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

I don’t think it’s cancelled (yet) – just that TAMU is out. I think they are trying to find a replacement, but may be 5-7 team unless another bowl team has issues and they merge two teams into one and cancel the other. Not good. But Jimbo also doesn’t want another L in an up and down season 😉

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

This is true.  Gator Bowl trying to find replacement.  BYU rose its hand but the players have all gone home.  Rumor has it that Cal is talking to the Gator Bowl.

AZUteFan
          Ute Fan
          @azutefan

Byu trying to become the first team to lose 2 bowl games in the same season? That would have been entertaining and quite the claim to fame. Too bad the Gator Bowl wasn’t interested. Guess they will have to settle for runner up of the Radiance Technology Independence Bowl this year. 

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

So if a team previously not bowl eligible gets that sudden invite, they will have not practiced since their season seemingly ended in late November and have about a week to get ready (with many players already gone home for winter break/holidays).

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

LOL! AZUteFan, your post sounded like something Jim Rome would say…had me laughing pretty hard. Thanks, I needed that!

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

Illinois (5-7) and Marshall (7-6, lost New Orleans bowl to Louisiana) coaches tweeting their interest. Man, this sucks for the Gator bowl. 10-3 WF vs a nobody. Too bad it’s too late to change plans and have the SEC shuffle their teams.

12 1

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Let them play for crying out loud. If someone is actually sick, they should sit out. But if they are merely “testing” positive, let them play. If a player is worried about contracting it, they too can sit out. But if the vast majority are vaccinated, then let them play!

4 1

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

If they had the flu, they could play. I kind of agree at this point, which is a hot take for me. If they are vaccinated, they should be able to play unless the symptoms are bad enough (like any illness). But then they probably would say only vaccinated players could play (which I wouldn’t personally be opposed to).

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

Just have the teams who’ve tested positive play each other.  The teams who’ve tested negative play each other.  Problem solved.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

I like it, you could have the TAMU and the TAMU JV (just viral) teams.

1 1

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Does Vegas have a line on whether the Rose Bowl happens?

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Now Utah State is campaigning to replace TAMU

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Rutgers at 5-7 is in talks. They have the highest APR of all 5-7 teams. APR seems like a great metric to use in this case.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Without using Google does anyone know who won the last Gator Bowl?

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Dunno, but I know that Oregon won the last Rose Bowl that mattered.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Nope. But I watched it and was entertained at the time because it was more football. I like the higher level bowl games and the interconference exhibitions that they are though.

pics
      Ute Fan
      @pics

Rutgers getting the invitation to the Gator Bowl.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Gator Bowl canceled due to Covid