If you could pick any PAC12 era Ute to have on this team, who would you pick?

Viewing 13 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

The rule for this hypothetical is that the player you pick would play like they did here, so selecting Bolles implies that he is again a raw talent, not an NFL starter. Also, the player is only retained for this year, so you need not consider future seasons in making your pick.

Personally, I’m picking Matt Gay or Isaac Asiata. The kicking game and O-line are my 2 biggest concerns for this season, and both of those players would go a long way to resolving those concerns. I chose Asiata over other O-linemen because of his consistency and leadership. The Utes need to start strong and establish an identity early in my opinion. Having either one of those players on this team could be the difference between 8-4 and 10-2 it would seem.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

So you said PAC12 era so there goes Steve Smith or Scott Mitchell.

I get you picking up an OL as that is the biggest weakness but I’m thinking I’d pick Marcus Williams.

UteDuke
        Ute Fan
        @uteduke

Yes, I limited it to PAC12 era because it makes it a lot easier to objectively judge, and to avoid having too large of a selection pool.

I love the pick of Marcus Williams. I was tempted to choose him, as he is one of my all-time favorite Utes and it would make this year’s secondary a contender for best in the country, but I decided to trust the guys we have and look to cover the perceived weaknesses.

ProvoUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @provoutefan

I’m waffling between Matt Gay & Chase Hansen.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

LB is the biggest question mark for me this year so I’m leaning Giani Paul or Jared Norris. Matt Gay would be second.

whitlessham
        Ute Fan
        @whitelssham

Giani by a mile

TheJuggernaut
        Ute Fan
        @thejuggernaut

Same reasoning for me but I take Chase Hansen.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I would take Gianni Paul or Gay.  Why can’t I take Bolles? I would say him by far because I knew how good he was going to be.  

UteDuke
        Ute Fan
        @uteduke

You absolutely can pick Bolles, I just added the caveat that he wouldn’t be any better or more consistent than he was in the year he played for Utah. If you would take Bolles regardless of the learning curve and false start issues he had to start the year, that is a fair pick. I picked Asiata over him only for this exact reason.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I would take Bolles. Moss in his senior season with probably the best puller in Utah history?  Yes please. The guy had some issues but he was driving guys down the field. The holes would be huge and Ludwig would run a lot of action using him.  

KoolWhitt
      Ute Fan
      @koolwhitt

Some good names so far. Bolles, Asiata, Gay, Williams, Paul, Norris…all would be great to have.

I’m also considering Nate Orchard and Darren Carrington. Orchard would easily be the least needed in terms of the current team’s perceived strengths and weaknesses, but a D-line with Anae and Orchard on the two ends would have teams punting on 2nd down just to save their QBs some hits. That would be so fun to watch.

Carrington would be huge just because he was so money. Dude ran perfect routes and caught everything thrown remotely near him and would make the lives of our slot guys so much easier. Maybe Thompson fills that void this year though; everyone seems super high on him.

Overall, I’d probably go with Matt Gay purely on the number of points he put on the board, the number of dead drives he still managed to turn positive, and the fact that PK is a huge unknown right now. But there’s a bunch of enticing options, for sure.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

My top three, in order, would be:

Matt Gay
      Matt Gay
      Matt Gay

Our kicking game this year will leave points on the table, guaranteed. Can’t say that about any other position.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Man, I’d settle for automatic Andy.

whitlessham
        Ute Fan
        @whitelssham

Suggestion: Score TD’s and don’t rely on three and out field goal.

just saying

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Marcus Williams all day.

5 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Flipper Anderson’s son, I forgot his name.  Just kidding.

Tough to pick one.  The picks above are all great.

I would pick Chase Hansen because he was a great player and team leader.  But, there is no right pick.  There are at least ten guys I could have picked. Nine of them played defense.  🙂

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Flipper Anderson’s son? You mean the one and only droppy drez? I think he may be the last player I would pick out of anyone who has played for us in the last 20 years. Good enough to get on the field, bad enough that he cost us multiple games a year. Most frustrating player ever.

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

Did you see Dixon last year against WSU and ASU? Dres also had Travis Wilson as QB. He was pretty good.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

Dres wouldn’t be a terrible pick. Only guy to have a 1k season in the p12 era I think. WR could be better this year or could be business as usual, in which case I’d love to have him or Carrington.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

This is tough, Marquis Blair was my favorite player to watch. I just love his brand of football but I wouldn’t choose him over Marcus William’s. I also thought about Star and how awesome it would be to have him along with Fotu, Anae, Tupai, Tufua and Penisi.

It’s hard to choose just one but with this current team I’d probably go with Giani Paul but Matt Gay was a close 2nd.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Carrington- all other options are secondary if the offense can score.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

wtf?

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

I’ll take Shawn Asiata. Imagine him blocking for Moss.

Oh, just noticed the PAC12 era. Still, imagine a fullback in front of Moss.

Utesby1
        Ute Fan
        @garykennedy

Bolles is the ovious choice.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Alls I can tell is I want Gay. Gaaaaaaay. Gay.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If you could pick any PAC12 era Ute to have on this team, who would you pick?