Is the Indiana Fever the dumbest team name in the history of the world?

Viewing 7 reply threads
      2 4

Uteanooga
      Ute Fan
      @uteanooga

I did not now there was a team named The Fever until I saw the headline that they drafted Kaitlyn Clark.

Fever? Was The Infection already taken? Do the Jazz have an affiliated WNBA team? I don’t know if they do but if they start one perhaps they could be the Utah Jaundice. Unless The Jaundice is already taken. Or better yet, The New Orleans Jaundice could be purchased and moved to Salt Lake City to become the Utah Jaundice. That would be awesome.

I just can’t believe that they named their team after a physical sign of systemic infection.

In reading about them, the team was founded in 1999. So I have been unaware of the Indian Fever basketball team for 25 years. Wow.

How about the Seattle Abscess. Or the Pittsburg Pruritis. Or Your Chicago Ingrown Hair.

If Kaitlyn Clark is going to bring the WNBA into popular culture, she has work cut out for her. She could start by asking the Fever to change their name.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

I perceive they mean the team and fans play and cheer at a feverish high intensity level.

Red Son
      Ute Fan
      @redson

I like that you didn’t realize that there is more than one meaning for “fever.” Nice long post though.

UteNamedOg
      Ute Fan
      @utenamedog

Implies the heavy use of medicinal cowbell

Red Son
        Ute Fan
        @redson

We need more cowbell

Utegator
        Ute Fan
        @utegator

But for real, do they allow cowbells in the arena?

1 4

Uteanooga
      Ute Fan
      @uteanooga

Ah. I am supposed to assume it is the unused and obscure meaning. The one where the audience is in a fever of anticipation waiting for the ladies to move slowly around the court.

I stand corrected. The Fever is a great name.

Kellso
        Ute Fan
        @kellso

I like the post. It made me laugh.

Hahnenwk
        Ute Fan
        @hahnenwk

The excitement was at a fever pitch

Like the Miami Heat

1 1

Red Son
        Ute Fan
        @redson

“unused and obscure” …right. I guess for those that don’t use common sense and the very basic deductive skills. Have you heard of teams like the St. Louis Blues (a nickname about sadness?), LA Clippers (nickname about a device that cuts your nails?), Buffalo Bills (why not Buffalo Williams. It sounds way more official?)…

RoboUte
          Ute Fan
          @hamplate

The San Diego Dads

oh my.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

The Blues refers to music. That’s why they have a musical note as their logo. But, the best name for any sports team belong to the club sports at the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). RISD’s club hockey’s team nickname is the “Nads”. It’s even better to know that the school’s club basketball team is known as the Balls. the fencers are ‘The Pricks”; and the sailing squad is “The Seamen.” And then the mascot. His name is Scrotie. RISD’s mascot is a penis. Don’t believe me? Here you go:

Go Nads!

Scrotie’s Big Adventure

Red Son
            Ute Fan
            @redson

Yeah, I know it refers to music. That was the whole point of my post, is that words have multiple meanings and all it takes is a little common sense and very basic deductive skills to figure out the context. I would have never thought someone would confuse Indiana Fever name for an increased temperature to fight an illness, but alas here we are.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Of course for a long time, many have wondered what on earth Jazz (which I happen to enjoy) has to do with Utah.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I thought the Indiana Fever was what Ron Artest gave to all those girls between 2002 and 2006?

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

They thought Artest was bad but he was merely diet Draymond.

1 1

UTEopia
      Ute Fan
      @uteopia

Utah Jazz is the dumbest, most incongruent name ever. The name stuck when the team move to Utah from New Orleans because the owner did not want to buy new uniforms.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Agreed. I’d be willing to bet that Smith could make a nice chunk of revenue by rebranding. He could sell the Jazz name back to New Orleans for $$ and by doing a rebrand, he’d get a nice shot in the arm in all of the new merchandise sales it would drive from the fanbase. I’m sure Smith isn’t focused on how he can make a few extra tens of millions of dollars in revenue and only cares about winning championships. All I’m saying is the Jazz name has never made sense in Utah, it makes all the sense in the world for New Orleans, and it wouldn’t be a net negative to rebrand. It would actually be a net positive if done well.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Women) Is the Indiana Fever the dumbest team name in the history of the world?