Jake and Tony

Viewing 15 reply threads

Henry Johnston
      Ute Fan
      @henryj80

I’m probably just being overly sensitive, but it seems whenever I listen to Jake and Tony on 1280 they are always a bit snarky about the U. If anyone criticizes them they respond with something like “those crazy fans out there” and act as if they’re totally innocent.

Yeah….you’re right……..I’m probably just overly sensitive.

SouthJordanUte
      Ute Fan
      @southjordanute

I totally agree. I’ve come to the conclusion that Jake is just a snarky person in general. They are my least favorite show on 1280 though. Those two just talk like everyone else is dumb and they’re god’s gift to the world or something.

javadave
        Ute Fan
        @javadave

Jake is a TDS alumn, so it’s no surprise.

Astute Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tstruct

I’m pretty sure Jake went to Utah. I may be wrong…I don’t really listen to anything but Bill and OC anymore, Gunther is funny. Quickly loses my attention though.

Jake
            Ute Fan
            @jake

That’s a fact, Jack.

UtahUteGuy
              Ute Fan
              @utahuteguy

Or, in your case, “That’s a fact, Jake.”

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Never heard of them. Not being snarky…

Henry Johnston
        Ute Fan
        @henryj80

You’re better off for it.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

It still boggles my mind why any Ute fan listens to any of these.

Hockeybeard
      Ute Fan
      @hockeybeard

1280’s entire take on any reaction to their content has been to get defensive and make fun of the complaints. Frankly, I haven’t turned on 1280 for a few week – even Scotty and Hans with the whole 60in60 thing got on my nerves with how butthurt they were over the complaints.

Gunther’s 1320 Pac12 PowerPoll + BYU + USU is actually a little funny, since they are making fun of the fact that they are including BYU and USU into the poll. Gunther ranted about how BYU fans wanted him to forget they lost last week and rank them higher…good comedy.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

I started listening to Bill & OC on 700 a few weeks back. They keep it mostly Utes, until later in the show when they get into soccer. At that point I turn the radio off for the day.

I refuse to turn my dial to the zoobfests on 1280 and 1320.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The joke is that people(you) keep listening to them. That is why it is amusing to them. People LOVE to feed the trolls.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I’m from St. George. Last week on the drive home from a business trip to SLC I heard the Pac12 PowerPoll and was confused as hell as to why BYU was in there. After I heard the explanation I promptly switched over to a national college football podcast. We don’t really have a local sports radio show in St. George (unless you care about Pineview Volleyball) and after listening to 1320 I’m glad we don’t have one.

Besides all that, it makes more sense to do a MWCPoll + BYU doesn’t it?

utahpunk
      Ute Fan
      @utahpunk

I don’t know what windbags I caught on my way home from fishing yesterday, but they had Trevor Reiley on, and aside from asking him about his near sack on MNF, they asked him a string of questions about BYU. Talk about insulting. If I were Trevor I would have said, ‘this s**t’s done’ and hung up. Why invite a former player on only ask him a bunch of questions about the ‘other’ team, you know, the one he didn’t play for? Seems like an insulting way to treat a former player.

Hockeybeard
      Ute Fan
      @hockeybeard

I’m gonna cross-post what I said in another thread, because I believe it is pertinent:

Local Media Formula for Instant Ratings:
      – Do any 1 of the following 4 items, they are listed in order of importance,

1) Praise and Congratulate BYU on any accomplishment, no matter how minor – treat it as if it is unique to BYU;
      2) Discredit allegations, or spin away negative news about BYU, no matter how major – treat it as if it is something every school does;
      3) Discredit any accomplishment Utah is able to do, no matter how major – treat it as if it is a “dime a dozen” type accomplishment;
      4) Compare any favorable news about Utah that is unable to be discredited to something similar that BYU has accomplished, no matter how far back in the past – treat it as if both schools are good, but BYU has been better longer.

And BOOM just like that you have instant SLC Media Market success…

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

They probably were trying to stir up some controversy knowing that Trevor usually speaks his mind. For some reason our local radio hacks get off on that kind of thing (I wish local fans of all schools would quite falling for it). At this point I avoid local radio and newspapers. I can get all the information I’m interested in (and then some) from UteHub, UFN, BlockU, etc.

MTM
      Ute Fan
      @mtm

I almost never tune into local radio anymore except Bill and OC.
      I leave the radio on 700 AM all day.
      I’d rather listen to Dan Le Batard than the local hacks.

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

I believe I touched on this yesterday, so why even bother listening to a media outlet that panders solely to a certain fan base that isn’t The University of Utah. It’s pathetic and when Utah WINS tomorrow I can almost hear DJ @ PK, and/or Monson saying, “What a great win for Utah BUT… Oregon didn’t have Marcus Mariota and/or the Oregon defense wasn’t very good” while when the other team from Provo loses to Michigan, “TDS showed this month they hang with the Big-Boys”. Even if TDS gets ‘boat-raced’ out of the Big House.

It drives me insane! Then there’s that Monty character who is a whole new level of jackass.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by THEeyepatch.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Jake and Tony ===== Worst sports radio show ever to air in Utah. Neither of them know a lick about football and it shows. I stopped listening to their segment as soon as it started. I really can’t stand any of 1280 the Zoob shows except for Hans and Scotty G. At least Hans played the game at a very high level and can be somewhat objective.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I’m just shocked that so many people listen to local SLC radio as bad as it is. In this day and age you can listen to tens of thousands of different radio stations from all over the world with TuneIn and similar apps.

It sounds like I’m lucky that I don’t have a clue who Jake and Tony are. I’ve heard everyone talking about how bad some Monty guy is. Never heard the guy.

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

I understand the sentiment, I really do. BUT, the fact is that I want to listen to sports radio about my college football team. Unfortunately, I have to sift through the garbage during these half-assed shows in order to get a couple good nuggets when Bill/OC or Gunther break down some of the matchups. I WISH I could get a radio station that was 100% all Utes or relevant national sports talk, but nothing like that exists…too much pandering to all the listeners.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

I turned on local radio that wasnt 700 once. Made it about 5 minutes before I gave it a “is this sh*t serious?” laugh and changed the station.

I dont know who these guys are nor care what they think whatsoever. They are also the radio version of clickbait. Why people listen to them is beyond me…

utedds
        Ute Fan
        @utedds

Looks like Monty is moving to Arizona. Good riddance. I never found him entertaining. Hopefully they can find someone decent to replace him. I could use some good local talk for my morning drive, but I’m not holding out much hope.

Homer Crimson
          Ute Fan
          @homercrimson

This is fantastic news. Not that I expect them to replace him with anyone better, but that guy is second only to Gordo at being a hack d-bag. Worst radio troll we have and that’s saying a lot.

Hockeybeard
            Ute Fan
            @hockeybeard

This news this morning made today an Extra Special Friday – combined with the fact that I had donuts brought to work by a co-worker, and its shaping up to be a great weekend!

NorthEZUte
      Ute Fan
      @northezute

Bill and OC are the only sports radio show in the state as far as I’m concerned. The only preset for sports radio I have.

The Lone Wolf
      Ute Fan
      @thelonewolf

Jake and Tony are a couple of no talent hacks with very little between the ears.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

ESPN 700 is the only sports radio worth following in Utah.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jake and Tony