Jeffrey Ugo de-committed

Viewing 7 reply threads

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

3-star safety from Texas de-committed after attending the Oregon game.

He’s not that highly recruited, only three P5 offers (Utah, Missouri, Indiana).

He seemed really enthused about Utah up to this point, and the Oregon game was as good of an environment as you could have asked for. He plays a position that Utah is notorious for developing and placing into the NFL.

I always wonder how/why these seemingly sure-fire commits suddenly change their minds. But they are essentially kids, so I probably shouldn’t worry about it.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Check out Ute Zone. I just read an article on a safety recruit that alluded to some things that might make this make more sense. Don’t remember if the article was behind a pay wall so I don’t want to give away too much.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

I haven’t read what you are alluding to, it makes perfect sense though. Scholly crunch with some incredible overall momentum these last couple of months. I personally wouldn’t be shocked if this happened with a couple others, including transfers too. Next year could be a lot of fun.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

And yes, I know there will be a retort of “the offer was rescinded because of a better commit”. That is certainly a possibility, but until it happens it’s just speculation. 

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Meh… I don’t get concerned about this stuff anymore

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

I frequently tell myself this, but always get drawn in anyway. 

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Agree. There is always way more to it and regardless of who made the decision to part ways Utah is always going to take the high road and let the player communicate it was their decision. Utah is at a high enough level there are plenty of players now wanting to play at Utah especially on defense. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I wonder if some decommits are because the player thinks they don’t have what it takes to be a starter.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

“Oh crap… you have to WORK up there!”

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Would seem that his decision has little to nothing to do with Utah’s success. Interesting to see where he wants to go now.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

According to Bartle it was pulled. I think they have bigger things happening 🙂

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Yep. If he had such a great time on his visit and watched the Utes dominate the #3 team, he has no reason to decommit on his own. There are a few reasons one would get their scholarship pulled after a visit, such as size. If they get a look at him and see his frame isn’t quite what they thought, they might pull it. Another would be personality. After being around him for the weekend, they might decide his attitude is not what they want in their locker room. I’ve heard Whitt talk about this before on his coaches show with Bill Reilly.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

He watched how Bishop played and knew Ritchie and Hubert would also be in the mix.  He wasn’t going to be a starter for at least a few years.

Too bad!

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

We have to trust the coaches. There is so much more that we do not know. We fans are literally like a bunch of aborigines, off the grid and in the desert wilderness, looking up at a jet in the sky and guessing what it is and how it flies. What we can guess is that the recruiting options we had mid October are not the same as the options we have now and are just developing. So many of our biggest past recruits have been developed late in the cycle. It will be interesting to see the options that develop from the CCG and the Rose Bowl. Myself, I am curious to see if we develop an awesome option for a CB.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jeffrey Ugo de-committed