Larry Scott on targeting

Viewing 8 reply threads

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Larry Scott says that the Pac12 didn’t miss the targeting call against Porter Gustin in last week’s U$C/WSU game:

https://twitter.com/austincmarshall/status/1044794475782987776

The level of incompetence is staggering. Are they afraid of liability if they come out and say that they missed this call? It sure seems like either:

A) Pac-12 officials don’t know what they’re doing.

B) Targeting is being used to skew games in the favor of one team or another, or to protect “top-tier” Pac12 programs.

Or C) All of the above.

For those who missed the no-call in question: https://twitter.com/CFBgifer/status/1043379973753581568

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

The correct answer is C, but there is a caveat. The league is also trying to protect itself from liability. Football doesn’t seem to be as much of a sacred cow on the West Coast, so they’re trying to cover their butts and not get lumped in with the CTE lawsuits.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Translation: I am an idiot and my refs are idiots and we have no idea just WTF we are doing.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Either Larry Scott doesn’t watch football or the PAC-12 has a different defintion of targeting than the rest of us.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

The issue is consistency. The Pac12 officiating appears to have no consistent standard. If the two Utah targeting calls in the UW game are targeting, then Gustin was absolutely targeting. If the Utah calls were reversed or Scott said that they were the wrong calls, then I might be fine with Gustin’s no-call. 

3 6

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I said Fire Larry Scott a few months ago and all I got was thumbs down. 

Nothing to see here guys just Larry Scott doubling down on being a dumbass. Scott could take over for Sarah Huckabee-Sanders if he wanted to. 

5 2

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Who would thumbs down you for calling for Scott’s job? Pac-12 network is a joke, a really bad joke, and that was all on him if I’m not mistaken. Also, he didn’t go to bat for USC during the sanctions, they had to bend over and take it up the tailpipe, while all of the other big schools continue to get a slap on the wrist for similar or worse violations. I know he became commissioner that year, but he should have stepped up for them. U of Pay happened under his tenure. The perception of the conference has been trending steadily downward. He’s worse that Roger Goodell. I don’t see why more AD’s are not calling for his head. Anyone think the SEC would tolerate this? The only good thing he did was expand the conference to include Utah and Colorado. He’s bad and should feel bad.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

He did put a stop to this though a few years back:

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

I’m fine with the thumbs down, but can anyone make a case for why Scott should stay? Anyone? Bueller?

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

If I may steal a page from the playbook of the Taylor/Whit defenders . . .

“Who ya gonna replace him with?”

This has proven to be an ironclad defense against those who want someone fired. /sarcasm

**Note: I don’t want Whittingham fired, but I get so tired of the people who defend him using this question as their argument against people who do think he should go.

Chidojuan
              Ute Fan
              @chidojuan

Great question. I’ve actually tried to stay out of that debate regarding Whittingham, it’s still too early in the season for me. The person I would want is a former football coach with a successful background in business administration/marketing. Does such a person exist? I don’t know.

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

Thumbs up for at least throwing out some criteria of who you would want and admitting that might not be an option.

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Commissioner Dr. Hill has a nice ring to it.

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

In fairness, your posts recently have been pretty easy to thumbs down.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

In fairness I consistently post on a board that is supposed to be about expressing opinions on Utah football. All I got for you is Boylen’s greatest moment: “Nice of you to show up..”

Italy88
            Ute Fan
            @itacoatiara22

Lol.  I didn’t say there was anything wrong with your posts…just that they were easy to thumbs down.  You are building that reputation on the board.  I see your name and my first thought is, “Wonder what complaints or fire Whit comments he has this time?”

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I think what he failed to mention is the command center back in San Fran has Direct so they can’t watch the game. They tried casting it to a TV but the feed kept resetting. 

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

How the F**k is the Fotu tageting call correct and this was not a targeting or a roughing (driving the QB to the ground and landing on him).  This thing is out of control.  

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

I was watching that game and about crapped my pants when they didn’t throw Gustin out for targeting.  It is getting harder to be a fan of the game when you don’t know the rules- I can’t imagine being a player and not knowing what you can or can’t do.

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Thumbs up for you, sir.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Larry Scott on targeting