Long shot all-conference player

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Steve Bartle was asked on ESPN 700 if there was a player on the 2021 team who could end up all-conference who currently is not on any preseason lists.  His response: Bam

I posted a few months ago that I heard from a former player that Bam had a great spring and would likely start.  OnlyU admitted that BAM had a great spring and would see playing time and possibly start.  Sounds like BAM may finally get his chance.

Bartle is very high on the 2021 team.  He doesn’t see any glaring weaknesses.  I don’t know much about Bartle to know if this is just hyperbole, or if his feelings are based on facts.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

I keep seeing this “chance” talk about several current players.  This is big time FBS football where coaches jobs are based on results, not your kids little league where the short stop is there because his Dad bought the bat bags for the travel team.  These guys have had a “chance” for multiple seasons.  One of the most coddled ones has been on the field for 90% of the offensive snaps for the last 3 seasons.  The best play, the best get touches, the best distinguish themselves…

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Anybody know what’s the deal with Hunter Lotulelei?  I don’t see him on the depth chart.  Is he still with the team?  Serving a mission?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

He did go on a mission. Not sure when he comes home.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

He’s on this version of the roster

May not have worked his way into the 2 deep yet. I wouldn’t put much stock into the depth chart, especially right now. Utah typically is pretty vague going in to fall camp and Whitt likes to keep things close to the vest up until the first kickoff. Unless Rising just isn’t capable of going this year, I doubt we will know who the QB is until warmups.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I sure hope this is true about Bam…we need him! If we have Kump at LT and Moala or Bam at RT (with the non-starter providing depth/backup) we should be set. Very likely we don’t make it through the season without losing at least 1 of our tackles to injury.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Kump making progress but game 1 will be iffy. He’s slightly ahead of schedule so fingers crossed he continues on that path and is able to get back sooner than later. Somewhere between games 2-4 is my best guess today.

Bam might have benefitted more from the CoVid year than anyone else on the roster. Just didn’t have much football experience growing up so it has taken a long time for him to create the instinct necessary to be good. Always had the physical tools but was lost mentally.

That’s not the case anymore and he should have a chance to seriously contribute provided he keeps moving forward. He’s got a 5 star body…Hoping he continues to close the gap mentally and Bartle will be right (as usual).

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

What type of injury is Kump recovering from? Is it one of his knees?

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

What type of injury is Kump recovering from? Is it one of his knees?

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

No…in a boot. Lower leg…happened the week before the Spring game. Had surgery and is making good progress. Original target was week 3 but that has bounced around some. Hopeful his progress allows for an early return but if it were me I’d be pushing to make sure he was ready for the conference opener over anything else.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Wow, that’s too bad. Yea definitely don’t want to bring him back before he’s fully healed. Thanks so much, as always, for the inside info!!

Utesby1
              Ute Fan
              @garykennedy

We can win against Weber State but I would sure like to see Kump back for the BYU game. If Bam is playing really well then there would be no reason to rush Kump’s return. 

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Just saw this tweet. Is Kump out of his boot? If this is a current video maybe he’s way ahead of schedule??
              Kump practicing with his wife

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Long shot all-conference player