Our coaching staff

Viewing 5 reply threads
      4 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I need to first say that I love coach Whitt and I am happy with his selections of Ganther and Ellis.  However, I just wanted to hear people’s thoughts about the makeup of a coaching staff.

Coach Whitt has typically created a staff of people with Utah ties, that he already knows.  The only two coaches on our current staff who did not have Utah ties are Bumphis and Harding.  (Bumphis was a grad assistant here.)  It has worked out for Whitt and the Utes.

Many head coaches bring in the best person they can find, not necessarily someone they previously knew.  I can see the pros and cons of both.  I know from my experience in management – you want to have a team you feel comfortable with.  On the other hand, you should look for the best possible talent.  I remember interviewing a person once who was very qualified for the position.  However, I felt she would not be a great fit with our current team so I did not hire her.

Saban reaches out across the country for the best of the best.  I don’t like Sabab much, but you cannot argue with his success.

Your thoughts?

11 1

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

This should be a nonfactor for us fans.  Everycoach, with very few exceptions will bring in someone they know over someone they do not just like nearly ever manager does.  Gather has a snitload of experience and has proven himself.  Luther has limited coaching experience, but has one son in the NFL and the other who saw significant time on the PAC12 championship team as a freshman.  On top of that, you have Scalley\Lud and Whit behind them to help them find their way.

It’s a tired argument that those who will never be please with what KW does will bring up.  

You brought up Sabin, but come on, Sabin’s a different class.  Utah will never be Bama.  So let’s look a the other 114 (or whatever the d1 numbers are now) football programs.  Almost without fail, the majority of the football staff has had previous experiences together in some capacity.  It’s the same on the HS level.  

Dumb argument IMHO.  If we were on the botton tier of the conference, I would consider giving it some credence.  We’re not.  

Winning the MWC wasn’t enough, getting into the PAC12 (which Kyle played a handson pivotal role that I witnessed) wasn’t enough, winning the south wasn’t enough, winning the conference wasn’t enough.  The guy could cure COVID tomorrow and people would bitch, the bitching is just a bit softer this year.  Can’t we just enjoy him while we have him?

I’ll get off the soapbox now.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Yep. For RB’s and DL especially, hiring a former Ute isn’t a bad thing. Now for WR, it’s not bad to look around. Bumphis is not a former Ute player but was known to Whitt and Co. From his stint as a GA at the U.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Pedro, you act like I attacked Whitt or would like him out.  That is nonsense!  I posted that I love Whitt and I am happy with the selections of Ganther and Ellis.

You posted, “The guy could cure COVID tomorrow and people would bitch,” I did not bitch. You are trying to make a fire where none exists. I simply saw an interesting pattern in his hires and thought it would be an interesting discussion during the offseason. I pointed out that as a retired manager – I always wanted to have people around me that I felt comfortable with. I was not disagreeing with Whitt. In fact I was agreeing with him.

As far as a fan questioning a coach (which I was not trying to do), it is a fan’s right. Coach Mac was once asked if he was frustrated with Ute fans, He replied, “Hell no! I am glad we have fans who are passionate about their team enough to care and voice their opinions.”

I will say again – I love that Whitt is our head coach. I am so happy that we have him here.

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

my apologies.  Wasn’t necessarily directed at you, but there are those among us who do, have and will attack him based on this argument and it’s frustrating.  We have a top 10 coach and they just cannot be happy with that.  

Again, my apologies to you.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Both Ganther and Ellis are more than qualified and probably most importantly understand the Utah family culture. Utah’s family culture is a huge advantage in the P12 where head coaches and staff come and go every year. Bringing in guys that have lived the Utah way and know the program makes for a smoother transition. Thinking with KW and Ludwig 2-3 years away from retirement this may be part of a succession plan. Either way, very happy with what Ellis and Ganther bring to the program. Go Utes!

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

As I posted – I am happy with the hires.  Both of these guys were studs while here at Utah and both played in the NFL.\

Go Utes!!!

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

ProudUte:  You’re not wrong.  But as someone who is nothing more than just a fan & alumnus, I wouldn’t know any of the behind the scenes actions that took place for these hires to be made.  I don’t know who was available, and which of those available coaches would have wanted to come to Utah.  What I do know is that Whittingham knows more about this sort of stuff than I do, so I’m reluctant to criticize.  As long as being a former Utah player isn’t some sort of prerequisite to do the job, I’ll be reserving my judgment until after season 2 of said coach on the staff.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I completely agree!

12 1

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

I will never ever know what’s going on in Whit’s program. And I love it. 

Bunch of men on mission. No outside noise. 

Us message board nerds will never have an impact on this program under Kyle Whittingham. No doubt he’s the top 5 coach in the country. 

Kyle Whittingham is the most consummate professional. Definitely one of the best.

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Amen.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

Kind of how I feel.  Whitt has earned our trust and I trust him.  Has he made some bonehead choices over the years? Yes.  Does he fail fast and adjust?  Yes.  That is all one can ask of a head coach.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

I’ll reserve judgement until we see results, but will admit that I do share some of the same concerns.  No question at all about the character of these recent hires, as they are both quality people and really define “Utah Man”.  

My only concern is their experience at this level.  Ellis’ only coaching experience is at Idaho.  While Q did spend less than a year with the Meyer disaster in the NFL, all of his experience comes at Weber State.  These aren’t exactly programs at the same level as Utah and feels like it could be a pretty significant risk.  

I fully expect and trust that the other intangibles they bring offsets their lack of experience at the P5 level…but it’s still a concern.

WasatchRanger
        Ute Fan
        @luke8675

In my mind everyone has to start somewhere, and it seems like Utah has done well picking up guys who coached at Weber State, SUU, Idaho, and other western schools. I think we have also done well with guys who had no coaching experience before Utah, but had experience in the Utah program.

If my recolleciton is correct some of the more “splashy” hires didn’t work out as well. Maybe I’m wrong @skinyute, but overall I think Whittingham has done a good job of picking staff.

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

Don’t disagree with any of that.

It’s likely that these hires were done primarily for recruiting purposes (bringing both Utah and NFL ties to a recruit’s living room is a big deal), with actual position coaching being an afterthought.  And if that’s the formula that brings success, then I’m all for it.  

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Just an FYI, the two men these guys are replacing……  

One started at Utah as a graduate assistant and worked his way through the ranks.  The others vast experience is as a graduate asistant at ASU and RB coach at Easter Washington.  

Brichaute49
          Ute Fan
          @brichaute49

If my memory serves me correctly, didn’t someone named Kyle Whittingham come to Utah as either a DL or LB couch, (can’t remember which) from Idaho State? Hasn’t that worked out pretty good?

1 2

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

congrats, you’ve cracked the code. All anyone need do is hire from Idaho State’s staff and they will all turn out to be as successful as Kyle Whittingham.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Best comment: ‘reserve judgement until we see results’. Do we realize how many times Kyle has hired position coaches? He and all other coaches have hires that don’t work out but I am very happy with the record Kyle has built up. Some wondered if moving his brother to coaching to coach TEs would work out and how did that turn out? I think he has earned our trust to try what he thinks is best.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Our coaching staff