Pac-12 is dumb dumb dumb

Viewing 9 reply threads
      9 7

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

I’ve been off the grid for a week, so imagine my sadness coming home to the news that the Pac-12 shot itself in the foot and cancelled the season. Perusing the board I haven’t seen this mentioned so I thought I would bring it up now.

The Pac 12 was in no position to be an “innovator” or an “early adopter” with regards to football cancellation. Pac 12 is already arguable the weakest or second weakest P5 conference. If the SEC, Big 12, and ACC play football this year I sincerely believe it will spell the beginning of the end of the Pac-12 as a P-5 league. Here’s why:

1. The revenue gap will widen even more. NOt only for this year, but now all Pac-12 schools will have to pay interest on the debt they incur staying afloat with no football revenue over the next 30 years.

2. Reputation. Majority of athletes want to play. Pac-12’s reputation will be tarnished for years to come as the league that quit on their kids and didnt figure out a way to play when other conferences did. 

3. Spring football ain’t happening, folks. In order to start playing March 1st athletes need to be practicing January 15th. So we are going to start football up in the middle of winter when covid could potentially be at its peak? Makes perfect sense. And even if that hurdle is overcome, you still have to deal with the rash of seniors and juniors that would opt out to get ready for the draft. 

This was a very poorly though out decision made by University Presidents who probably really don’t care whether the Pac-12 is a relevant football conference or not, unfortuantely. What they should have done was copy the SEC. If the SEC cancels, follow suit. Until then, sally forth. Just my two cents. 

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

What’s the chance we reverse course?

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Larry’s ego couldn’t handle reversing course on anything, anytime, ever. 

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I’m in no way a Larry Scott fan and am of the opinion that he should be replaced, regardless. However, this is NOT a Larry Scott decision. Cancellation of the Pac-12 and Big-10 seasons was done by the Univeristy Presidents, unanimously voted on by the Pac Presidents and 12-2 by Big-10. It was completely out of the hands of the conference commissioners, the AD’s, and the coaches. I realize that many believe that the SEC, ACC, and Big-12 will end up playing. But I think that’s mainly because they are getting all of their news from the non-decision makers, meaning the conference commisioners, AD’s, and coaches. University Presidents are the most risk averse people out there. The economic impact of college athletics is huge to the conference commissioners, AD’s, coaches etc…NOT the University Presidents. Athletics is a small line item on their annual budgets. At the end of the day, I believe that the Presidents of the SEC, ACC, and Big-12 will all do the exact same thing that the Pac-12 and Big-10 Presidents did. I might very well be wrong but I doubt these Presidents will take the risk of playing…it only takes 1 player or coach to die of Covid and the implications would be catastrophic to a University IMO. 

Dwight89
          Ute Fan
          @jordan-buckner

I know, I just couldn’t resist a potshot at Larry. 

4 2

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

The decision will have long-lasting effects on the Pac-12 – finances, recruiting, prestige. I agree with all you said. Also, I recognize that University Presidents care about the money from sports…but there are many academics that would LOVE to see sports go the way of the dodo. So, despite the money, there is tension there. Covid was enough to push it over the edge (for better or for worse). There are many, non-sports fans, that likely look on at the situation with glee. I do not discount the influence of those types in this current path.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

For as long as the Pac-12 controls the Rose Bowl, we’ll ALWAYS be a “power” league.

1 2

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

I wish I shared that optimism. 

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

My mom told me once that I was conceived in the Rose Bowl parking lot.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Another overlooked revenue loss is the number of current and incoming college students opting out of attending college this year. Not sure how big of an impact it is right now.

2 1

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Oh that is going to be a huge impact. It’s why many schools have delayed announcing how they will be handling classes. They want to keep attendance as high as possible and shift to online learning as late in the game as possible. Which is why the Pac 12 and Big 10 cancelling football p**ses me off so much. These University Presidents are talking out of two sides of their mouths. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Well said. The BIG has the money to be able to weather this storm for one season. The PAC, not so much. They should have at least waited to cancel the season.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Larry Scott. I assume knows more than I do. But, he never seems to be in control or know what he’s doing. He is such an idiot. The way he backed us out right after the BIG 10 was unreal.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

To be fair, it was the presidents of the 12 universities that cancelled the season.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Anyone who downvotes this message is likely from some of the 14 accounts Pace has. Great post

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Well, the B1G isn’t playing either, and I’d say they’re definitely the #2 P5 conference. And to be honest, how many of us expect the other conferences to actually finish the season? This season will probably be a disaster for all of CFB. I just dunno if any of it matters.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Pac12 didn’t really have asay in this. School presidents and California’s governor were the decision makers on this.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pac-12 is dumb dumb dumb