TJ Pledger has been underrated this season

Viewing 3 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Since he declared for the draft I’ve been seeing comments like “well, he was an okay change of pace back when Tavion went off the field”. TJ has absolutely been more than that. His hard, physical running style combined with home run threat has been a huge addition to this team.
      – When nobody else on offense wanted to hold onto the ball vs Washington State, TJ came in and essentially won the game for us. Finished with 10 carries for 117 yards plus the go ahead TD in the 4th Q.
      – Averaged RB team high 7 yards per carry vs ASU.
      – Averaged RB team high 7.6 yards per carry vs UCLA
      – Broke Utah record for longest TD run ever (96 yards vs Stanford) with one of the best open field stiff arms you’ll ever see
      – Was the MVP vs Arizona. After AZ blocked the punt to cut the lead to two in the 4th Q, with Tavion and Bernard injured, Pledger carried us down the field and scored to put the game away. Finished with 119 yds and 2 TDs.
      – Made something out of nothing multiple times in both Oregon games. (I felt he was our best RB in the first half of the CCG — at least as far as how hard he was running).
      It’s no secret Tavion has been amazing for us. TJ hasn’t gotten nearly the yards, touches, or TDs as Tavion, but he’s been an extremely valuable addition for us this year. I hope we see a heavy dose of him vs Ohio State. Pledger runs similarly to Oregon’s Verdell, who was huge for them when they beat tOSU.

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Couldn’t agree more. I think we likely lose one (if not both) games between Arizona and Washington State without Pledger. LOVE his running style and team mentality throughout the year!

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

He’s a specimen. The NFL scouts know it. If he has a young baby, he should try at free agency at worst. If he’s struggling financially, it’s a no brainer. However, my selfish side would like to see him taken care of and he comes back. He seems like a great teammate.

3 2

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Yeah, I’m not entirely sold.  He runs well off tackle and around end, not nearly as well between the tackles.  To be more than a change of pace back at the next level, he’ll have to be better between the tackles.  More specifically, he needs to hit lanes more decisively and forcefully, he dances too much.

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

I’m not saying he’s for sure gonna have a long career in the league, just that many in Utah fandom have undersold his value to the team this season.

3 2

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Are you valuing him as a role player or as Sony Michel to Nick Chubb? IMO – he’s a valuable role player. Had he filled the primary role this year, there would have been a drop off.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

He played on special teams (not KR) as a transfer and a substantial offensive contributor.  That says everything that needs to be said about TJ as a teammate and competitor.  I wish him well and think he may have enjoyed his experience here more than some fans appreciate his contribution.  TJ was intergal to the teams success.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football TJ Pledger has been underrated this season