QBs and the portal

Viewing 6 reply threads
      2 3

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I am hearing from many BYU fans that they are afraid of a QB controversy.  On the one hand they would love to see Hall do great; however, they are afraid if he does too well, that Wilson may go to the portal.  BYU fans put all their eggs in the Wilson basket and do not want him going elsewhere.

It’s kind of funny thing, but it is a concern in this new era that players (especially QBs) will jump ship if they are not the starter.  They do not want to wait for their turn.  This will likely lead to some increased parity in college football because most kids just want to start.  This will then lead to a lack of depth, especially at QB.

Utah will have an issue next spring and fall.  Who will be named the starter?  Will the backup leave for a better opportunity.  I highly doubt that Whitt will name a starter in spring because of the fear of the backup leaving.  But, now we see kids going into the portal the week before the season starts.

2 6

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I feel like I’m the minority on here. But I think Zach Wilson is really good. The issue is BYU Zion’s build him up so much it’s hard for him to live up to all the hype. Rising appears to be better, ONLYU ha said as much, so I doubt he would come to Utah, maybe Utah st is
      If he was to transfer. But I still wish we had him. And no he’s 100 percent not better than Huntley. I wish we had him for the future.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Based on the current body of work I don’t see what the fuss is about.

4 2

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree.  I think Wilson is a legit college QB and I agree Rising “appears” to be more talented.  He’s not coming to Utah.

If Wilson were to transfer, USU and other MWC schools would be an option.  With it so easy to transfer, I don’t imagine that Hall (if he proves to be good) and Wilson both stay their entire careers at BYU.  But, I really haven’t seen Hall play yet.

3 1

User Suspended
        @a2ute

if “I” where a QB looking at going into the transfer portal I would be targeting programs looking at me for a starter.  based on what I’ve seen with Wilson….Utah could not give him such an option.

I think the ship has sailed with Wilson and Utah…or at least i hope.  Wilson got burned by Utah the first go around, he need not go down that path again.  

2 1

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Rarely do players transfer laterally, if someone transfers they usually take a step down.   If someone like Zach transfers from TDS I’d see them going to G5 or a lowest-tier P5, like Heaps going to Kansas. And from what I’ve seen Zach is better than Heaps so won’t transfer unless parents push for playing time after he comes back from injury and his replacement has taken over such that Zach doesn’t get PT — but I think that’s unlikely unless Sitake is an idiot or his replacement is the actual second coming of Steve Young.

4 1

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Jaren Hall has done absolutely nothing on the football field.

Wilson is a really good talent and he clearly wants to play in state. I don’t see him transferring.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Zoobs blowing their load before anything substantial happens? Better call the HC office on this transfer rumor.

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Where is the wilson is really good camp coming from? What has he done that indicates hes good? Every game ive seen hes looked mediocre. Granted ive only seen him a few times.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

The near Utah win and bowl game last year. He’s had two decent games and only won one and they all called him the next Boscoe.

3 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Wrong category @Proudute

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Regarding parity as a result of the transfer portal, I agree. Schools will have more difficulty holding onto talented backup players. There will still be talented backups (obviously), but there will be more kids that see the writing on the wall and transfer to where they can play immediately. 

USC somewhat dodged a bullet on their QB situation, in that all the backup QBs were headed out because Daniels (a sophmore) was the anointed starter. If Fink had transfered (as he had at one time intended), the backup to Slovis would have been a walk-on transfer from a junior college.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

The portal… how many times can a player use it? Is there a limit. Say Tuttle wants to transfer again, can he? 3rd string QB at Indiana, not what he signed up for. Maybe petition for a hardship transfer.

So let me put two topics together. Starting QB at Utah, successful 10-3 season, decides he wants to transfer to USC, Stanford or Cal because he can now generate “likeness” money. Please someone convince me how student athletes are beneifitting from this?

Student athlete transfers to a school which doesn’t accept his prior schools credits, is he now determined to be academically ineligible? Straight As but only a few credits transfer, is he making progress toward graduation?

Sadly I think college sports as we know them are going to go the way of the dinosaur. Sadly I think student-athletes, the NCAA and the schools all share in the blame. And helicopter parents as well. So the NCAA needs to NOT be like the railroad industry of the late 1800s/early 1900s. Cars and airplanes will be successful as will other revolutionary ideas, you need to focus on the transportation industry or whatever sector you are in and evolve.

Is BYE (bi) week over yet? LOL

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

If Wilson transfers, what happens to his brother (heavily recruited by BYU-P, offered by BYU-P, committed to BYU-P, has no other offers besides BYU-P)?

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I am sure ESPN can interview the mother for well over 10 minutes again to answer your question. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football QBs and the portal